PDA

View Full Version : how to deal with leechers?

worldpease
01-13-2005, 05:20 AM
From what I know so far, leechers afect the way and speed we download something (specificaly talking about bittorrent), so, is there a way to deal with them?, to minimise, if not eliminate, this factor in our downloads?, in fact, how do they afect us? do they afect us as a comunity, or in every individual or sigle download?

Joakim Agren
01-13-2005, 06:11 AM
Hello!

It is up to the Trackers admins to keep track of the Seeders/Leechers ratio you should not bother!!. Infact some leechers is neccessary because without them you would not get a good ratio as a seeder. Leechers also provide extra bandwidth on individual torrents during the download process so lots of Leechers and also many seeders on the same Torrent is a good thing you get superspeed then!!. And also dont thrust stats for individual torrent downloads. The Tracker often report incorrect stats on individual Torrents for individual Seeders/Leechers due to to much traffic!!.

freak
01-13-2005, 07:28 AM
Yeah don't bother theres nothing you can do...

Samurai
01-13-2005, 07:34 AM
I don't know about BitTorrent, but I'm sure there's a mod out that could ban them or something.

When I use WinMX, I also start another program that tells me exactly what other users are doing with regards to my files.

If they're not sharing anything, or less than 20 files I'll ban them.
If they're not sharing anything between 20-40 items then they get cancelled.

If they don't have at least 1 upload slot available, they get banned.

I'll post my current statistics if anyone's interested.

Samurai
01-13-2005, 07:38 AM
http://img112.exs.cx/img112/51/lh015cp.jpg

http://img112.exs.cx/img112/6561/lh020dy.jpg

http://img112.exs.cx/img112/9130/lh036ku.jpg

from previous post.

try looking for mods/

Joakim Agren
01-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Hello!

Why are you showing WinMX??

This is the BitTorrent section so he most be using BT :)

Samurai
01-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Hello!

Why are you showing WinMX??

This is the BitTorrent section so he most be using BT :)

Obviously. I was trying to portray to him that there has to be mods out for the program, and that they do work, hence the pics.

Skiz
01-13-2005, 09:02 AM
Well, there is one thing you can do. If your on Soulseek or somethin, you can right click someone name that's downloading from you, and click, 'browse users files'. If it comes up, 'user not sharing any files', the CUT 'EM OFF!!!

:P :01:

Samurai
01-13-2005, 09:07 AM
got that in winmx too, but the mod i got does it automatically, but yea it's pretty much what it does. scan the user and boots em to death if they're leeching

manker
01-13-2005, 10:16 AM
As long as there are people who share their files, there will be leechers.

It's the law of filesharing.

If you seed a file then others leech it, subsequently they might share it but then someone else leeches off them and so on. Sometimes the chain is only broken when no-one wants to download the file anymore, meaning that the end guy is deemed a leecher, even if he wanted to share.

There absolutely has to be leechers on any filesharing network.

Excessive and repeated leeching is another thing. Admins of private BT trackers can be quite adept at dealing with this within the confines of their own site by monitoring ratios but on other networks you simply don't know whether the leecher downloading off you is an excessive leecher or not. He or she might not be sharing on that particular client because he/she is super-seeding a latest release at Elite-Torrents (or whatever) and need all their upload for that. They also may have left their upload open for an entire day and uploaded 2 gigs just before they started leeching off you.

You just don't know so give 'em a break. It's all good karma anyway :D

freak
01-13-2005, 03:33 PM
There is no way to tell who is a true leecher on BT (well unless the site itself keeps track of it like torrentbits). When a file is seeded there has to be leechers thats what makes BT so fast and every user must finish the file to seed it. So if they drop off without seeding there share it's to late anyways. bout the only thing you could do is log ip addresses and keep track and if they keep doing it then ban the ip but thats way to much work...

Vargas
01-13-2005, 03:54 PM
most BT clients will upload the most to the ppl you download the most from, so leechers will have slower download speeds then ppl who upload (without saturating their upstream) more.

Since there are almost always more prospective downloaders than you have bandwidth for, your client has to choose which ones to share with. It picks by giving preference to the people who share the most with it. This means the people who upload the most get the fastest downloads, a property known as "leech resistance", since it discourages "leeches" from trying to download the file without uploading it to anyone.
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent

EDIT: with azureus you can ban downloaders with a simple rightclick option

Peerzy
01-13-2005, 03:59 PM
Thats what i like about private and exclusive sites like fasttracker, if we see a leecher there out, and iv never had bad speeds on a scene release there before. BT should become more privatised, its the only way to cut it out.

lynx
01-13-2005, 07:53 PM
There is no way to tell who is a true leecher on BT (well unless the site itself keeps track of it like torrentbits). When a file is seeded there has to be leechers thats what makes BT so fast and every user must finish the file to seed it.Actually you usually start seeding it as soon as you've got a complete block, assuming someone else wants that block. It is just that you aren't marked as seeding because you are downloading at the same time. That's what makes bittorrent successful.

So if they drop off without seeding there share it's to late anyways. bout the only thing you could do is log ip addresses and keep track and if they keep doing it then ban the ip but thats way to much work...Logging users IP addresses and have the tracker record their activity is about the only way to do it. Good sites like elitetorrents, filelist, 123torrents do this, and kick users with persistently low up/down ratios.

But it is simple mathematics that if anyone is going to have a ratio greater than 1.000 then some people must have a ratio less than 1.000, if everyone had a ratio greater than 1 then you are uploading to nowhere which is just a waste of bandwidth.

freak
01-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Actually you usually start seeding it as soon as you've got a complete block, assuming someone else wants that block. It is just that you aren't marked as seeding because you are downloading at the same time. That's what makes bittorrent successful.
Logging users IP addresses and have the tracker record their activity is about the only way to do it. Good sites like elitetorrents, filelist, 123torrents do this, and kick users with persistently low up/down ratios.

But it is simple mathematics that if anyone is going to have a ratio greater than 1.000 then some people must have a ratio less than 1.000, if everyone had a ratio greater than 1 then you are uploading to nowhere which is just a waste of bandwidth.

Well I guess if you call that seeding... I really don't think of it as seeding tell the files finished... *shurgs* meh