PDA

View Full Version : Are you Addicted to the Internet?

100%
01-15-2005, 01:39 AM
If you marked atleast 5 of those items you may regard yourself Internet addicted and have pathological Internet use.

Here is a Internet Addiction Test : http://www.netaddiction.com/resources/internet_addiction_test.htm

I post this here, because after reading several articles, it seems that Internet addiction or even computer addiction/dependency is not still fully acknowledged as a disorder, and it seems to be an increasing problem in today's society. Especially if you consider the increasing amount of people using the Internet.
Of course there is a difference between job related Internet use and personal use, the question comes when the - job becomes intertwined with the personal.
The forums or MUD (multi-user domains) are very easy to become involved in, due to the interactivity, relations, rewards and of course escapism

and here is the most relevant article i have read What Makes the Internet Addictive? (http://www.netaddiction.com/articles/habitforming.htm)

for more articles - http://www.netaddiction.com/articles/articles.htm

Djtima
01-15-2005, 07:04 AM
YES!!!!
i Beat Anorexica And Now i Beat the Computer (that last level was hard though)

manker
01-15-2005, 11:25 AM
I suppose I'm addicted to t'internet in the same way I'm addicted to going out for a meal, having a few beers at the pub or playing football.

That is, I'm not addicted in the true sense of the word but I enjoy it far too much to ever consider not doing it.

clocker
01-15-2005, 01:20 PM
My position as SysAdmin for the Internet requires that I spend a lot of time online.
Without me, the whole shebang would crash in a heartbeat.
So I don't consider myself to be addicted to the interweb...I'm jus doin my job, maam.

Move along, there is nothing to see here.

Formula1
01-15-2005, 02:46 PM
i scored 59 on that website :x

manker
01-15-2005, 03:02 PM
The interweb is addicted to clocker :blink:

100%
01-15-2005, 04:27 PM
One.5 years ago i got Internet, since then i discovered a whole new world.
It was after i registered at some forums :dry: that i find myself spending more and more time on-line, to the extent that i prefer it to activities in the "real world".
I have to do alot of work on pc and side tracking on-line is a little bit to easy. Hence i have disabled internet at work, and find myself 100% more productive, and am more precise to what i need from the web when i get online for a limited time (interweb cafes)
the Internet never sleeps and there is always something new to discover and yes there are great benfits to it.
I regard myself as using it in an exaggerated way since it does affect my life in a negative way.
If you read those articles mentioned at the top - it is quite worrying when you hear examples of drastic cases.
An "addiction" is never Healthy.

edit: an the web does wonders for your spelling :lol:

Snee
01-15-2005, 04:56 PM
I don't think getting migraines has anything to do with the 'puter, it can just as well hit me when I've been offline for ages.

And tho' I did fail to control it before, several times, I can quit when I want now, I think.

And it wasn't until I joined Klb I got hooked. At any rate, I think I'm getting better.

clocker
01-15-2005, 06:49 PM
You have our eternal gratitude for your immense effort. Thanks for that.
It's nothing, really.
Tweaking the Laws of Physics takes much more of my time.
As does creating unique snowflakes.

Why did I ever decide no two could be the same?
Hmmm....might have to rethink my position on that one.

Peerzy
01-15-2005, 11:47 PM
I'd say im addicted to a pc. if theres something better to do great but otherwise im on the net. I'd say its a problem and i should spend less time on here and put more time into college and other things but i can never stay away for long enough to bother.

clocker
01-16-2005, 12:00 AM
I had always thought that you had taken that one too far. However to each her own.
I may have to bring this up in Omnipotent Team Chat.
It would have pissed off Wilson Bentley, but I doubt that the rest of you bipedal irritants would even have noticed.
Too busy on the interweb, no doubt.

clocker
01-16-2005, 02:44 PM
Too busy using google to understand the esoteric references made by their betters.
It's a living.

tesco
01-17-2005, 03:35 AM
I feel addicted to it but if i think about it I could easily go without using a computer.

Voetsek
01-24-2005, 10:24 AM
No addicted to nothing apart from eating and breathing

Harsh!
01-24-2005, 10:52 AM
I already knew I was addicted before the Poll...lol

yxuz
01-24-2005, 01:01 PM
sorry too long wont bother to read

Busyman
01-24-2005, 03:04 PM
No. I absolutely am not addicted to the internet. (wanker?)

It mostly is a convenience. I get to make electronic bill payments, appointments, broadcast communication, etc.

When I post here, I am almost always doing something else too (usually music).

It would be hard just to sit here and post....and that's it.
When I pay bills, I'm on and off the computer (usually not doing something else in the process, I might put an extra 0 in a payment).

I will admit that I don't let my friends know that really post here or anything. I'm not considered the internet type and would be slightly embarrased. It would come up off as geeky that I sit here and chat......that is until I use some of the information learned here to get a some of them a movie or some shit.

Cheese
01-24-2005, 03:14 PM
No. I absolutely am not addicted to the internet. (wanker?)

It mostly is a convenience. I get to make electronic bill payments, appointments, broadcast communication, etc.

When I post here, I am almost always doing something else too (usually music).

It would be hard just to sit here and post....and that's it.
When I pay bills, I'm on and off the computer (usually not doing something else in the process, I might put an extra 0 in a payment).

I will admit that I don't let my friends know that really post here or anything. I'm not considered the internet type and would be slightly embarrased. It would come up off as geeky that I sit here and chat......that is until I use some of the information learned here to get a some of them a movie or some shit.

Shut it, nerd.

manker
01-26-2005, 12:38 AM
Got fed up with the same name being on the bottom for ages.

To reiterate, I'm not addicted to t'inteweb.

Peerzy
01-26-2005, 12:43 AM
I have college and work 2moro and will need to be up for 9 yet i'll be on here till 3, its safe to say i have a problem.

Busyman
01-26-2005, 01:18 AM
I have college and work 2moro and will need to be up for 9 yet i'll be on here till 3, its safe to say i have a problem.
You are a geek. Be proud. :clap: :01:

manker
01-26-2005, 03:01 AM
You are a geek. Be proud. :clap: :01:You've got almost 600 more posts than Peerzy, be prouder :01:

Busyman
01-26-2005, 05:06 AM
You've got almost 600 more posts than Peerzy, be prouder :01:
I can't be proud of that.

The difference...

The mods can start me over at 2 posts, make me a newcomer and I could give a toilet squat.

Do that to Peerzy and he'll be pissing and moaning. :dry:

.....besides the 600 more posts, I have a longer member.

manker
01-26-2005, 10:50 AM
I meant that with the only evidence available at this time, you've spent more time at the computer than Peerzy.

Geekoid :geek:

Cheese
01-26-2005, 10:54 AM
I meant that with the only evidence available at this time, you've spent more time at the computer than Peerzy.

Geekoid :geek:

Though Peerzy has accrued his posts in a shorter length of time indicating (to me at least) that Queerzy spends more time here than Busboy each day.

Having said that, they are defiently both geeks. :yup:

manker
01-26-2005, 11:07 AM
I was under the impression (using the usually reliable typage/wordage/accurage correlation coefficient) that the first time Peerzy had ever used a keyboard was when he signed up here, making the length of member unimportant. Is this not so.

If I am mistaken then I'll have to bring in the length of time spent making each post, Peerzy spends about 4.3 seconds per post whereas the Busy takes an average of 7.8 minutes (using the always reliable googlage/rantage/assylumage correlation coefficient).

Whichever way you look at it, Busyman wins the battle of the FST ubergeeks.

sArA
01-26-2005, 01:08 PM
I am probably addicted, but its not cos I don't have a life outside...I do, I see this forum as no different from popping to the pub with my mates and surfing is like flicking through a magazine or encyclopeadia.

@ clocker....is your real name Slarty Bartfarst?

@ busyman....yo too cool and bling to admit you a geek man? Stand up and be proud of your intergeekness....it is part of what makes you you......be proud and hold your head up :)

Busyman
01-26-2005, 01:24 PM
I am probably addicted, but its not cos I don't have a life outside...I do, I see this forum as no different from popping to the pub with my mates and surfing is like flicking through a magazine or encyclopeadia.

@ clocker....is your real name Slarty Bartfarst?

@ busyman....yo too cool and bling to admit you a geek man? Stand up and be proud of your intergeekness....it is part of what makes you you......be proud and hold your head up :)
Using the computer doesn't make you a geek.

Thinking it's the last line of defense to having no life is dorkdom.
Foregoing responsiblities and dreams to be here makes one a dork.
Dreaming about being here makes one a dork.
Believing it's your responsiblity to be here makes one a dork.

Busyman
01-26-2005, 01:32 PM
I was under the impression (using the usually reliable typage/wordage/accurage correlation coefficient) that the first time Peerzy had ever used a keyboard was when he signed up here, making the length of member unimportant. Is this not so.

If I am mistaken then I'll have to bring in the length of time spent making each post, Peerzy spends about 4.3 seconds per post whereas the Busy takes an average of 7.8 minutes (using the always reliable googlage/rantage/assylumage correlation coefficient).

Whichever way you look at it, Busyman wins the battle of the FST ubergeeks.
That whole diatribe speeks geek in itself. :lol: :lol: You actually try TO carefully formulate sentences for effect and come up with invented words to use at the pub ffs. GEEEEEEEK!!!!!! :lol: :lol: roflmao!!!!!11!!!OMG!!11!

yA CAWWWWKKSUCKAAA!1!1111!D1!!1Dq!D1

I challenge anyone here to have the mods to reset their precious post count
and leave it that way. ;)
Don't post here for a week (for some of you no-lifers even a couple of days). See how much more productive you'll be. ;)

manker
01-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Using the computer doesn't make you a geek.

Thinking it's the last line of defense to having no life dorkdom.
Believing it's your responsiblity to be here makes one a dork.I get it, you're refuting Sara's assertion that you're a geek but fessing up to being a dork. I applaud your candour.

Dork, geek - all peas in the same pod.

Bit worrying about you dreaming about the place, one can only hope that they're of the dry variety :crazy:

Busyman
01-26-2005, 01:40 PM
I get it, you're refuting Sara's assertion that you're a geek but fessing up to being a dork. I applaud your candour.

Dork, geek - all peas in the same pod.

Bit worrying about you dreaming about the place, one can only hope that they're of the dry variety :crazy:
Uh yeah...challenge is still on the table. ;)

When did I fess? :blink:

manker
01-26-2005, 01:56 PM
This isn't a confession regarding your inner dork??? :ohmy:

I was feeling a bit of sadness and concern for your wellbeing - glad that's over and done with :lol: ;)

Busyman
01-26-2005, 02:00 PM
This isn't a confession regarding your inner dork??? :ohmy:

I was feeling a bit of sadness and concern for your wellbeing - glad that's over and done with :lol: ;)
For a grammaticlericalarian you don't read well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheese
01-26-2005, 02:35 PM
Shut it, geeks.

Cheese
01-26-2005, 02:52 PM
I'm not addicted to t'internet, I can afford to spend a lot of time here though because I'm a lazy student.

Am I a geek? I like to think so, but the truth is I'm too damn cool in real life to be considered one. :(

manker
01-26-2005, 02:56 PM
That whole diatribe speeks geek in itself. :lol: :lol: You actually try TO carefully formulate sentences for effect and come up with invented words to use at the pub ffs. GEEEEEEEK!!!!!! :lol: :lol: roflmao!!!!!11!!!OMG!!11!

yA CAWWWWKKSUCKAAA!1!1111!D1!!1Dq!D1

I challenge anyone here to have the mods to reset their precious post count
and leave it that way. ;)
Don't post here for a week (for some of you no-lifers even a couple of days). See how much more productive you'll be. ;)I didn't see this post, I wouldn't have been so benevolent, ah well.

Yes I'm a geek.

I don't think my penis shrunk after I typed that.

Yes I make up words for effect, yes I post here a lot, yes I construct sentences carefully, yes I get annoyed if people don't take care over their posts. Yes I deliberately accentuate this - for a larf, like.

It's part of my personality, I wear that on my sleeve. I don't feel the need to justify that thro' tales of other stuff I do, tho' you may get an idea of that from my posts.

If you're in denial of your undoubted geekness, there are people that could help - but you'll probably have to leave the house first :ermm:

Busyman
01-26-2005, 02:59 PM
I didn't see this post, I wouldn't have been so benevolent, ah well.

Yes I'm a geek.

I don't think my penis shrunk after I typed that.

Yes I make up words for effect, yes I post here a lot, yes I construct sentences carefully, yes I get annoyed if people don't take care over their posts. Yes I deliberately accentuate this - for a larf, like.

It's part of my personality, I wear that on my sleeve. I don't feel the need to justify that thro' tales of other stuff I do, tho' you may get an idea of that from my posts.

If you're in denial of your undoubted geekness, there are people that could help - but you'll probably have to leave the house first :ermm:
Admittting it is the first steep. Ii applaude you. :clap:

manker
01-26-2005, 03:05 PM
/bows

I seriously don't get the problem with being thought of as a geek, sure if you're 14 and insecure then it's a big deal - maybe I wouldn't have been so candid back then - but now I positively revel in it.

Ffs, I'd have hardly anything to post if it wasn't for the grammar thing.

Edit: Hang on - maybe that's not such a good admission :huh:

Busyman
01-26-2005, 03:12 PM
/bows

I seriously don't get the problem with being thought of as a geek, sure if you're 14 and insecure then it's a big deal - maybe I wouldn't have been so candid back then - but now I positively revel in it.

Ffs, I'd have hardly anything to post if it wasn't for the grammar thing.

Edit: Hang on - maybe that's not such a good admission :huh:
As of this post there was no edit yet you posted 'edit'.

:ohmy: I'm becoming wanker!!! Where did my penis go? :ohmy:

Peerzy
01-26-2005, 03:55 PM
I can't be proud of that.

The difference...

The mods can start me over at 2 posts, make me a newcomer and I could give a toilet squat.

Do that to Peerzy and he'll be pissing and moaning. :dry:

.....besides the 600 more posts, I have a longer member.

I dont care about posts, check my threads and such iv never made a Happy 2000 posts to me or spammed to get my post count up, infact you'll find i flame people who post teh 'OMG HALO RAWKS' in some random thread in gameworld or whereever to get there posts up.

Iv said many times before you can remove my post count or all the point counts i dont care.

I prob spend 5-8 hours on my pc a day :ohmy: and yet still can't be assed to do any work :01: and this thread took nearly 8 seconds manker :shifty:

Im prob a geek yes but i dont call myself that, all my mates know i am and im cool with that, if any of them has pc/music/movies/games/phone problem im the first to be asked.

Busyman
01-26-2005, 05:13 PM
if any of them has pc/music/movies/games/phone problem im the first to be asked.
Same here.

You hear that mods?....Peerzy said to reset his post count. :rolleyes:

and I almost forgot....OMG HALO RAWWWWKS!!!1!1!11!!!FDWD1!!

manker
01-26-2005, 05:31 PM
So it's agreed, you're both geeks but not quite at my level yet. So, geek n00bs. Gtfo of my geek thread :01:

There can be only one :superhero:

Edit: Btw, that pretend edit thing - just accentuating that bit of self depreciating humour. The fact I didn't actually edit maybe conveys that I have my tongue firmly in my cheek*. You'll get it one day, Busy ;)

*Or my head firmly up my arse.

j2k4
01-27-2005, 01:10 AM
I might have thought differently at one time, but I'm at the point where my PC is a necessary tool, and I don't spend all of my time surfing or posting here-I never play games (though I might if I had time); I can enjoy myself immensely when we get good stuff going on in here, but the last few months have clarified things for me-when I'm tired now, I go to sleep, and I have never slept at the keyboard.

I guess I'm comfortable with my PC.

My true addiction is reading, but as I am so continually fatigued (in a good way) that I am finding I don't even mind falling behind on that. :)

There are other things to worry about.

My thanks to Clocker for keeping the interweb together for us. :D

hobbes
01-27-2005, 04:17 AM
I might have thought differently at one time, but I'm at the point where my PC is a necessary tool, and I don't spend all of my time surfing or posting here-I never play games (though I might if I had time); I can enjoy myself immensely when we get good stuff going on in here, but the last few months have clarified things for me-when I'm tired now, I go to sleep, and I have never slept at the keyboard.

I guess I'm comfortable with my PC.

My true addiction is reading, but as I am so continually fatigued (in a good way) that I am finding I don't even mind falling behind on that. :)

There are other things to worry about.

My thanks to Clocker for keeping the interweb together for us. :D

Yeah right, that alcoholic hasn't got enough fans cooling our CPU's to make the experience seem real-time.

Fans, we need more fans!

kellenator
04-24-2005, 11:25 PM
definitely :w00t: