PDA

View Full Version : Titan: Is Revealed

UcanRock2
01-15-2005, 02:33 PM
From the Jet Propulsion Labratory website...the pictures are in.

They are here! (http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/media/Cassini_Multimedia_Collection(Search_Agent)_archive_1.html)

lynx
01-15-2005, 03:43 PM
Welcome to NASA's Cassini-Huygens missionSeems like they will steal the credit for just about anything. :rolleyes:

View the original source here (http://www.esa.int/esaCP/index.html).

Rat Faced
01-15-2005, 04:57 PM
Not as if Europe do much in the space race...

At least let us have the credit for that little :P

vidcc
01-15-2005, 07:04 PM
Not as if Europe do much in the space race...

At least let us have the credit for that little :P

I am reminded of a program i watched that had this man that used to do televised "road tests" of cars and he did a show that listed many inventions that the USA takes credit for but were in fact from other lands....just wish i could remember the show.. In one he drove down a ski slope in a car racing a skier....i think the name of the guy was jerry clarke or clarkson.... perhaps someone could tell me so i can see if the series is on download....(not that i would download it...as that would be illegal) :no:

But on topic...sorry for wandering....i don't think it matters who takes credit...It is a great achievement and mankind should be proud that it has the capability to achieve advancement as well as destruction.

Rat Faced
01-15-2005, 07:10 PM
Jeremy Clarkson?

Arrogant little englander extroadinaire... and thinks he knows everything there is to know about cars and driving?

Attractive little german lady beat the shit outa him on a German Racetrack (Speed Trials, in the same car... and he had a full days practice 1st ;) ) the other week... laughed my tits off ;)

vidcc
01-15-2005, 07:12 PM
well that could well be the man...but what was the show called?

perhaps i should take this to the lounge

Rat Faced
01-15-2005, 07:16 PM
well that could well be the man...but what was the show called?

perhaps i should take this to the lounge

Maybe...

Is this the 'orrible little man?

http://www.bbcworld.com/images/backoffice/890.jpg

manker
01-15-2005, 07:18 PM
Inventions that Changed the World is probably the show you're thinking of, vid.

I remember dozing thro' it just before Xmas. I don't actually mind Clarkson that much and to the automobile luddite (me - I just drive them) he does seem to know his stuff :unsure:

TheDave
01-15-2005, 07:22 PM
jeremy clarkson owns :01:

lynx
01-15-2005, 07:25 PM
@vidcc: It is a BBC series called "Top Gear".

manker
01-15-2005, 07:34 PM
@vidcc: It is a BBC series called "Top Gear".Eh? The series where he lists inventions that the US claimed credit for which were actually attributable to other countries.

I must have missed that episode :D

Biggles
01-15-2005, 07:38 PM
I think the Titan landing is fantastic.

Europe has started to pull its weight in the space exploration stakes and although the Mars lander came a cropper (why do so many Mars landers fail?
:ph34r: ) the orbiter is sending back really good information.

This latest joint venture is the way ahead and with the USA, Russia and Europe working on the International Space Station we are achieving more off world than on at the moment.

Rat Faced
01-15-2005, 07:43 PM
(why do so many Mars landers fail?)

Teh Martians shoot em down? :unsure: :ph34r:

manker
01-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Teh Martians shoot em down? :unsure: :ph34r:Might be because we'd get all excited about the pyramids that incorporate phi and pi. Also the 'face' with the nemes headdress.

I think the face has been shown in detail now and debunked but the pyramids still look interesting.

Chewie
01-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Jeremy Clarkson is a clueless petrolhead who once lifted the bonnet of a Jag - but only to show us the new V8 engine.

vidcc
01-15-2005, 08:00 PM
thanks for the help chaps...i moved to the lounge so not to spam in here...seems there is more than one actual prog. i am thinking of but with the same (seemingly) unpopular person presenting

Barbarossa
01-17-2005, 01:28 PM
(why do so many Mars landers fail? )

The current theory I think is that the air pressure was a lot lower than they were anticipating, so that beagle II's parachutes were ineffective.

I think the whole Cassini-Huygens mission has been fantastic so far, the orbital insertion of Cassini around Saturn last summer was a phenomenal achievement, when you consider the distances (and time lags) involved. Bear in mind also that the entire Huygens landing was automated... It's engineering and programming at it's very finest..

It just goes to show that advanced rufty tufty computers and robots will be better equipped to explore space in the future than frail human beings... :huh:

sArA
01-17-2005, 02:26 PM
As there is an atmosphere of sorts on Titan, this is really exciting....I can't wait for more info....the pic of Titan is my desktop as of now... :)

SuperJude™
01-17-2005, 04:28 PM
We are entering the world of Star Trek and we just don't know it yet. Understand, as a person educated in grade school during the 70's, this was all sci-fi, we didn't know that any other planet had rings other than Saturn, Black Holes were the things of science fiction novels and B movies, and landing probes all over the Solar System? Ha!

I was interested in Cassini-Huygens when I found out about it in the 90's and to see that all work out really brings out the geek in me. :) Just amazing to be able to predict to such a degree the time, distance, gravity etc needed to pull this thing off, it truly is mind boggling.

And the very reason I have hope for this race and this planet, because there are some very smart people and one day we will be a very smart race.

-SJ™