PDA

View Full Version : PS2 and Burned DVDs

orcutt989
01-15-2005, 06:04 PM
Alright so I was at my friend's house last night, and noticed he had a few burned DVD-R movies in his collection. And the only DVD player he owns is a PS2. Immediately I asked him "Do you have a modchip? How are you able to play those?" And he said no, and I remembered when he got it, hell I bought mine a month after he did. He didnt have a modchip, he didnt softmod the PS2, he probaly doesnt even know what any of that means. And I am sure he didnt have anyone steal it and MOD it for him. He bought it brand new from a Walmart or Kmart or something. I didnt believe him, so I forced him to play a burned DVD-R move, and IT WORKED. This made absolutely no sense to me. He has a Network Adapter on the PS2, but that came with it, and I am sure that has nothing to do with it. I just am trying to understand this, so then maybe I can copy movies and play them on mine! Maybe even games! All without at modchip! Can someone please comment or help to explain this? Thank you everyone.

scribblec
01-15-2005, 06:11 PM
Alright so I was at my friend's house last night, and noticed he had a few burned DVD-R movies in his collection. And the only DVD player he owns is a PS2. Immediately I asked him "Do you have a modchip? How are you able to play those?" And he said no, and I remembered when he got it, hell I bought mine a month after he did. He didnt have a modchip, he didnt softmod the PS2, he probaly doesnt even know what any of that means. And I am sure he didnt have anyone steal it and MOD it for him. He bought it brand new from a Walmart or Kmart or something. I didnt believe him, so I forced him to play a burned DVD-R move, and IT WORKED. This made absolutely no sense to me. He has a Network Adapter on the PS2, but that came with it, and I am sure that has nothing to do with it. I just am trying to understand this, so then maybe I can copy movies and play them on mine! Maybe even games! All without at modchip! Can someone please comment or help to explain this? Thank you everyone.

dvd's arent burnt the same way as ps2 games
they dont contain bad sectors which u cant burn so therefor u can make a direct copy that will work

orcutt989
01-15-2005, 06:28 PM
dvd's arent burnt the same way as ps2 games
they dont contain bad sectors which u cant burn so therefor u can make a direct copy that will work

Alright so games wouldnt work? Just movies? Looks like I am going to the library to get some DVDs. I have NERO, how would I copy these disks so they work on my PS2?

Peerzy
01-15-2005, 07:05 PM
Alright so games wouldnt work? Just movies? Looks like I am going to the library to get some DVDs. I have NERO, how would I copy these disks so they work on my PS2?

Use DVD Shrink to rip and copy them and Nero to burn them.

orcutt989
01-15-2005, 07:38 PM
Use DVD Shrink to rip and copy them and Nero to burn them.
I cant just use Nero to Copy the DVD?

Peerzy
01-15-2005, 08:05 PM
I cant just use Nero to Copy the DVD?

No, DVD's contain copy protection. DVD's are also 9gb and you can only buy 4.7gb discs, well you can get 9gb discs but they cost loads and you need a special burner. Use DVD Shrink to copy and shrink them to fit onto a 4.7gb disc and use nero to burn them.

colt45joe
01-15-2005, 09:29 PM
orcutt were they dvd games?

or dvd movies?

because, dvd copied movies play just fine on ps2. just like how they play fine on dvd players...because ps2 is also a dvd player...so it can play dvd copied movies fine...

but its impossible to buy a ps2 that can play burned games.

and if you want to copy movies..just use dvd copy xpress....

and if the movie is already 4.7 gigs or smaller, then just directly copy it.

orcutt989
01-15-2005, 11:47 PM
No, DVD's contain copy protection. DVD's are also 9gb and you can only buy 4.7gb discs, well you can get 9gb discs but they cost loads and you need a special burner. Use DVD Shrink to copy and shrink them to fit onto a 4.7gb disc and use nero to burn them.

Okay thanks. Sorry it was just hard for me to understand that it could play burned DVD movies and not games. Thanks everyone. So can I use DVD Shrink, and then use Nero to burn? How do I burn the DVD movies after they are able to fit on a 4.7gb disc?

muchspl2
01-15-2005, 11:52 PM
how about you dl dvdshrink and use it, it does everything for you, even burn if you already have nero installed.
just do it

Peerzy
01-16-2005, 12:00 AM
Okay thanks. Sorry it was just hard for me to understand that it could play burned DVD movies and not games. Thanks everyone. So can I use DVD Shrink, and then use Nero to burn? How do I burn the DVD movies after they are able to fit on a 4.7gb disc?

DVD Shrink will compress and burn (using Nero) all for you. You just insert dvd and click backup. Takes like 15mins to shrink and 20mins to burn on my pc :)

orcutt989
01-16-2005, 03:19 AM
DVD Shrink will compress and burn (using Nero) all for you. You just insert dvd and click backup. Takes like 15mins to shrink and 20mins to burn on my pc :)

Alright cool. I downloaded DVD shrink months ago because I thought it would eventually come in handy. If I get questions, Ill post them here.

orcutt989
01-16-2005, 04:35 PM
I want to burn 3 family guy seasons to 2 dvds. But they are all AVI files, how can I burn the DVD's so they work on my PS2?

Peerzy
01-16-2005, 04:41 PM
I want to burn 3 family guy seasons to 2 dvds. But they are all AVI files, how can I burn the DVD's so they work on my PS2?

Movieworld anyone? Thats impossible by the way, Family Guy is like 3 discs per season so 3 seasons is gonna be at least 9 discs after converting.

orcutt989
01-16-2005, 06:44 PM
Movieworld anyone? Thats impossible by the way, Family Guy is like 3 discs per season so 3 seasons is gonna be at least 9 discs after converting.

NO, it is not impossible. They are just AVI files. 3 seasons. 7.5 GB total.

Peerzy
01-16-2005, 06:51 PM
NO, it is not impossible. They are just AVI files. 3 seasons. 7.5 GB total.

Yes it is :rolleyes: , the Playstation cannot read those AVI's, they need to be re-encoded to MPEG2 which makes the file sizes massive, meaning that 7.5gb is gonna go up by maybe 3 to 4 times. Use Nero and add your AVI files to a new DVD project and as long as you have all the plugins installed it will do it for you but you will only fit a few episodes on each disc. Why do you think the retail dvd's only hve 4 episodes on each? If companies could put a whole season onto two dvd's they would to save money but its impossible if you want it to play on a DVD player/Playstation 2.

orcutt989
01-16-2005, 10:34 PM
Yes it is :rolleyes: , the Playstation cannot read those AVI's, they need to be re-encoded to MPEG2 which makes the file sizes massive, meaning that 7.5gb is gonna go up by maybe 3 to 4 times. Use Nero and add your AVI files to a new DVD project and as long as you have all the plugins installed it will do it for you but you will only fit a few episodes on each disc. Why do you think the retail dvd's only hve 4 episodes on each? If companies could put a whole season onto two dvd's they would to save money but its impossible if you want it to play on a DVD player/Playstation 2.

That isnt what you said previously to that post, and I dont appreciate you saying that like I am some sort of idiot. The way you posted did not give hint to anything you just said. It sounded like you meant all of the AVI's would fit onto 9 DVD's. Thank you Peerzy for your help. I think I have those. And will the Playstation 2, read MPEG encoded stuff? Thank you Peerzy for helping me though, I do appreciate you telling me how to do this. I cant wait to be able to do this!

EDIT: I do have the Mpeg-2 Plugin for Nero installed. Now what do I do?

SingaBoiy
01-16-2005, 11:26 PM
Now you go to movie world :P

I like using WinAVI to convert. Goes hella fast.

Peerzy
01-17-2005, 12:05 AM

I never called you an idiot? I also said that the files would need converting to work on a Playstation.

You want to open Nero SmartShit choose video and then its like Re-encode Video or something like that, click that then add your video files. Click next make your menu, click next wait for it to encode. Put a disc in when it asks for one and then let it burn. Done :)

MPEG 2 is the format that retial DVD's come on so yes the Playsation and your DVD players will read the MPEG2 'stuff' as long as the dvd media you use is compatible with the player/PS2.

orcutt989
01-17-2005, 01:05 AM
I never called you an idiot? I also said that the files would need converting to work on a Playstation.

You want to open Nero SmartShit choose video and then its like Re-encode Video or something like that, click that then add your video files. Click next make your menu, click next wait for it to encode. Put a disc in when it asks for one and then let it burn. Done :)

MPEG 2 is the format that retial DVD's come on so yes the Playsation and your DVD players will read the MPEG2 'stuff' as long as the dvd media you use is compatible with the player/PS2.

Thanks a bunch. Yeah I already looked on that one Handy website that has all DVD players and what they support. Ps2's support all data DVD's. -/+

I went to nero>>video, and then "Burn DVD Video Files" And then this screen comes up.

http://doublesmusic.com/other/Jimmy/aaaaaaaaaa.gif

http://doublesmusic.com/other/Jimmy/Untitled-1.gif

SingaBoiy
01-17-2005, 01:28 AM
If you're gonna use Nero, Use NeroVision.

orcutt989
01-17-2005, 02:22 AM
What the hell is Nero Vision? And did you see the screenshots? What do I do next?

SingaBoiy
01-17-2005, 03:11 AM
What the hell is Nero Vision? And did you see the screenshots? What do I do next?
You need DVD video files. You get NeroVision from their site. www.nero.com and go to the download section. Get the package that has NeroVision.

Peerzy
01-17-2005, 07:55 AM
You don't have the right plugin installed. It should say Encode DVD Video as well in that menu.

Samurai
01-17-2005, 08:09 AM
You don't have the right plugin installed. It should say Encode DVD Video as well in that menu.

Hey I have all the plugin's installed but I'm not showing "Encode DVD Video".

I used the Core KG :unsure:

Skiz
01-17-2005, 08:41 AM
MuchSpl2, where's your sig links when I need them? :unsure:

muchspl2
01-17-2005, 08:48 AM
when we switched over to the new board they lost my svcd.vcd guide

orcutt989
01-17-2005, 05:14 PM
Alright well couldnt I just try a separate encoding program? I dont know why my nero doesnt have NeroVision, looks like Ill have to search emule.

Samurai
01-17-2005, 05:19 PM
Peerzy - You got a ss of that plugin?

Peerzy
01-17-2005, 05:39 PM
Gimme an hour or so, i always use to convert all my Xvid and Divx movies to DVDr using Nero but im using a shitty ol dversion (My hdd's crashed a week ago and am using an old backup) but Nero can encode any files into DVD.

orcutt989
01-17-2005, 09:59 PM
Okay I got NeroVision 3, what do I do now?

Peerzy
01-17-2005, 11:22 PM
Okay I got NeroVision 3, what do I do now?

www.google.com + Movieworld

h121589
01-17-2005, 11:58 PM
yes nero can encode any file but it takes like 4 hours to burn the dvd b/c i used to use nero to encode but then i started using WinAVI and TMPGEnc DVD Author

muchspl2
01-18-2005, 12:10 AM
why would anyone use nero to encode, thats poor advice but probably the easiest way for someone who doesn't know how to search.

Peerzy
01-18-2005, 12:15 AM
why would anyone use nero to encode, thats poor advice but probably the easiest way for someone who doesn't know how to search.

He seems extreamly n00b like and doesnt seem to know much about encoding and different types of video format, Nero is a program 99% of people have installed and no how to use.

orcutt989
01-18-2005, 12:28 AM
He seems extreamly n00b like and doesnt seem to know much about encoding and different types of video format, Nero is a program 99% of people have installed and no how to use.

Alright thanks Peerzy. I figured it out on my own I hope, Nero Vision only encodes to Mpeg-4, hopefully the PS2 will read those. And you dont have to be an asshole about it, it is just computers. How do I encode into Mpeg-2? Or is MPeg 4 fine? Nero will encode all of the files at once, while the Tmpegc only does one at a time.

muchspl2
01-18-2005, 12:31 AM
Alright thanks Peerzy. I figured it out on my own I hope, Nero Vision only encodes to Mpeg-4, hopefully the PS2 will read those. And you dont have to be an asshole about it, it is just computers. How do I encode into Mpeg-2? Or is MPeg 4 fine? Nero will encode all of the files at once, while the Tmpegc only does one at a time.
are you really 72?

orcutt989
01-18-2005, 12:46 AM
are you really 72?

Yes I am actually 72? Anyways, will MPEG-4 be just as good as MPEG-2? Please help?

Peerzy
01-18-2005, 01:13 AM

My comments were not ment in an offensive or harmfull way :) MPEG 2 is the real DVD Video, however im not sure about MPEG 4, just give it a go.

orcutt989
01-18-2005, 01:15 AM
My comments were not ment in an offensive or harmfull way :) MPEG 2 is the real DVD Video, however im not sure about MPEG 4, just give it a go.

Haha alright whatever. I did try MPEG-4, it seems to be working well, except the first time i tried, it fucked up and ruined the DVD, so that is one DVD down the drain, but this one is going to take 1 hour and a half, I hope it works. It made a menu for each file and everything.

orcutt989
01-18-2005, 01:28 AM
GOD DAMMIT

About a quarter of the way through it said "CANNOT COMPLETE......." Whatever I dont know, and I saved this error file...

########################################################################################
[20:24:52] DVDEngine ERROR
[20:24:52] DVDEngine cause: 129 (neroapi_call_failed)
[20:24:52] DVDEngine source: NeroBAOCloseFile() returned error condition
[20:24:52] DVDEngine description: _BAOContext::CloseFile()
[20:24:52] DVDEngine ########################################################################################
[20:24:52] DVDEngine **BEGIN: IDVDSessionBaseImpl - Clear
[20:24:52] DVDEngine **END: IDVDSessionBaseImpl - Clear
[20:24:52] DVDEngine END: IDVDVideoSessionImpl - CreateDisc
[20:24:55] NeroAPI Burn process failed at 2.4x (3,324 KB/s)
[20:24:55] DVDEngine BEGIN: IDVDSessionBaseImpl - EndDiscAccess
[20:24:55] DVDEngine ..Flags=0
[20:24:55] DVDEngine **BEGIN: _MediaAccess::Release ()
[20:24:55] DVDEngine ****BEGIN: _MediaAccess::~_MediaAccess ()
[20:24:55] DVDEngine ****END: _MediaAccess::~_MediaAccess ()
[20:24:55] DVDEngine **END: _MediaAccess::Release ()
[20:24:55] DVDEngine END: IDVDSessionBaseImpl - EndDiscAccess
[20:24:55] DVDEngine BEGIN: IDVDSessionBaseImpl - RegisterCallback
[20:24:55] DVDEngine ..Session callback unregistered...
[20:24:55] DVDEngine END: IDVDSessionBaseImpl - RegisterCallback

Ugh, why did this happen? I just wasted 2 DVDs!

orcutt989
01-18-2005, 08:51 PM
Does Nero transcode the files? Because that is what it says its doing.. So I am making a VCD for my dreamcast, I put 3 AVI files on it, and made it menu, and it says it is transcoding each file now.

Peerzy
01-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Does Nero transcode the files? Because that is what it says its doing.. So I am making a VCD for my dreamcast, I put 3 AVI files on it, and made it menu, and it says it is transcoding each file now.

Transcoding = Encoding

orcutt989
01-19-2005, 03:56 AM
Transcoding = Encoding

So I guess it does. But I dont know why I have had to waste 3DVD's now because of errors during the burning process?

orcutt989
01-19-2005, 05:47 PM
*Bump

Peerzy
01-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Use dvd-rw's if the ps2 reads them.