PDA

View Full Version : Norton internet security ?

Formula1
01-15-2005, 06:29 PM
i was wodnering if someone may please give a good description about Norton internet security ? Whats the purpose of it and is it worth using ?

Guillaume
01-15-2005, 06:31 PM
It's a software suite containig a firewall, norton antivirus and norton antispam.

Like all norton products it's effective (even if it lacks a bit in "fine" tweaking) but it's a bit heavy on resources

peat moss
01-15-2005, 06:46 PM
I haven't tyred it, I like to keep my programs separate . eg: ZA and Nsw . But VB was kind enough to link a corp. version .

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t86416-.html

lightshow
01-15-2005, 08:45 PM
Just a word of advice. If you already have let's say Norton Anti-virus and install the suite, it may mess up. It caused my old Norton to not load up properly, and you know how hard it is to uninstall an antivirus. I had to reformat my harddrive.

But if you don't already have any of the suit's programs installed, there should be no problem

Formula1
01-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Just got it on BT , seems awesome so far. It blocks banner ads on most webpages, which is very good and it also came with partition majic 8.05 :D

orcutt989
01-15-2005, 10:49 PM
Just a word of advice. If you already have let's say Norton Anti-virus and install the suite, it may mess up. It caused my old Norton to not load up properly, and you know how hard it is to uninstall an antivirus. I had to reformat my harddrive.

But if you don't already have any of the suit's programs installed, there should be no problem

Yeah that happened to me. Norton is a bitch when it comes to overwriting/uninstalling.

It's a software suite containig a firewall, norton antivirus and norton antispam.

Like all norton products it's effective (even if it lacks a bit in "fine" tweaking) but it's a bit heavy on resources

Yes, exactly. Symantec Interent Security Corporate is a little more agressive, and uses less system rescources. But I still use Norton because I dont feel like going through crap uninstalling it.

peat moss
01-15-2005, 11:19 PM
Don't think I ever had a problem ,uninstalling a program I no longer wanted! Norton or not. Uninstall using add/remove, then run a good regcleaner . Simple really, people forget Norton or Symantec is three programs combined. Liveupdate , Livereg And the main program like Antivirus or System works .etc. I uninstall the main one then the others . And I'v never met a Regcleaner I did n't like . ;) But for some there are tools . Like this http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2001090510510636

Izagaia
01-17-2005, 10:47 PM
I haven't tyred it, I like to keep my programs separate . eg: ZA and Nsw . But VB was kind enough to link a corp. version .

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t86416-.html

This is an entirely different ballgame from the typical BS that the Norton Suites deliver on. Far superior, IMO.

NIS is plagued not only by the burden on your system's resources, but also with those less notable features such as "content control" and "password management" and so forth... Nothing that really makes a huge impact but these are features that typically the average joe really would not give two rat-shits about unless they were sharing a system with young surfers not as educated in "netiquette". Nice for families, but if you are a lone surfer who does not have time to go through the extra lagging and motions that the suite will put you through, then definitely stick with SCS v2.