PDA

View Full Version : Firefox reaches 18,000,000 downloads!

{I}{K}{E}
01-17-2005, 11:04 PM
Firefox has reached another milestone, in it's 18 million downloads

Eighteen million is a huge number. I'm amazed watching these numbers. I mean, I knew that we'd see numbers like this but actually watching the numbers grow by millions and millions is pretty wild.

This doesn't happen without thousands of people getting the word out, telling friends and family, pushing Firefox into the enterprise, installing it at schools and libraries, helping neighbors get set up, etc. You all have made Firefox 1.0 a huge success.

We're going to hit 20 million downloads before the end of the month. It's a wild ride and shows no sign of slowing down. Keep spreading the word. You all are the ones taking back the Web.

--Asa, on behalf of the sfx team

Source: http://www.spreadfirefox.com/

anAmbient
01-17-2005, 11:18 PM
Never did like the browser. IE will allways be better to me.

Keikan
01-17-2005, 11:21 PM
tough customer

tesco
01-17-2005, 11:32 PM
Never did like the browser. IE will allways be better to me.
To each their own. ;)

sameer0807
01-18-2005, 12:34 AM
Firefox rules. The best internet browser.

Formula1
01-18-2005, 12:38 AM
Firefox rules. The best internet browser.

I second that :D

Adster
01-18-2005, 12:47 AM
well if firefox let me do forum tags and had a decent spell check to clean up my Long posts i would get it

70% of my browsing is in forums posting and its fucked you have to do forum tags manually

orcutt989
01-18-2005, 12:51 AM
Considering there are roughly 6 1/2 billion people in the world, 18 million isnt even 1%, hell it isnt even 1/2 of a percent, congratulations, assholes. IF it was more like 30%, or 50%, then we could get excited.

peat moss
01-18-2005, 12:54 AM
well if firefox let me do forum tags and had a decent spell check to clean up my Long posts i would get it

70% of my browsing is in forums posting and its fucked you have to do forum tags manually

Ya the spell checker isn't that great but it will do. Nothing in extentions for forum tags ?

Filliz
01-18-2005, 01:01 AM
Google for Bbcode extension. :)
And the spellchecker (Spellbound) isn't all that bad.

Adster
01-18-2005, 01:08 AM
bbcode?? you mean I can find a option to highlight text and just click bold rather then have to manually type it?? or a emotion smiley??

its a shame i found firefox faster but i would use IE to use forums for that reason and found no point having firefox i never used it

bigdawgfoxx
01-18-2005, 01:16 AM
I dont see what makes it any better...

Filliz
01-18-2005, 01:17 AM
bbcode?? you mean I can find a option to highlight text and just click bold rather then have to manually type it?? or a emotion smiley??

Yep. :)

BBCode (http://jedbrown.net/mozilla/extensions/)

It ads a right-click option for bold,underline,quote/image-tags,etc...

Here are some Screenshots (http://jedbrown.net/mozilla/extensions/BBCode/Screenshots/)

The smilies aren't Invision though :(

{I}{K}{E}
01-18-2005, 11:10 AM

I use the Spellbound extention todo spell checks.

Samurai
01-18-2005, 11:22 AM
Considering there are roughly 6 1/2 billion people in the world, 18 million isnt even 1%, hell it isnt even 1/2 of a percent, congratulations, assholes. IF it was more like 30%, or 50%, then we could get excited.

Roughly 40% of the population have never used a computer, let alone know what one is.

A further 20% only use a PC for work, or they're satisfied using it to write documents, listen to music, play games etc...

Your idea of 30-50% is impossible.

tesco
01-18-2005, 01:12 PM

spellbound is a good spell check extension.
forum tags work in the lateest version.

true_neo
01-18-2005, 01:54 PM
well if firefox let me do forum tags and had a decent spell check to clean up my Long posts i would get itAnd use it on your custom title too :P
I have concluded that less than 15% of the people visiting a forum is able to spell the word "lose". :01:

I am a hardcore Firefox fan, so for me this is great news! :D
Now all there is left is for IE to be illegal to use in more countries than Finland, and we are all set to go ;)

nostalgia
01-18-2005, 02:31 PM
The more popular it gets, the more certain people will look for flaws in it and try to exploit them. So I'm glad Firefox is beginning to settle in the browserworld but on the other hand can a enormous popularity also destroy it.

Cl1mh4224rd
01-22-2005, 09:35 AM
The more popular it gets, the more certain people will look for flaws in it and try to exploit them. So I'm glad Firefox is beginning to settle in the browserworld but on the other hand can a enormous popularity also destroy it.
True enough.

Firefox is open source, though, so while your typical evil hacker might have an easier time of finding an exploitable flaw, there are plenty more good hackers capable of spotting and fixing the same flaws. The turn around time on serious exploits should be a lot shorter than any closed source browser, which will limit potential damage.

As always, however, the end user is ultimately responsible for upgrading to the fixed version. The most serious flaw in any piece of software will always be a lazy or ignorant user.

BawA
01-22-2005, 06:38 PM

Get BBcode Extension u wont even need to goto advance mode to post anything u can jut use that Extension in fast reply.

digmen1
01-22-2005, 10:40 PM
What is a Forum Tag anyway ?

I am glad that IE is getting some opposition, we have to break Micro$oft's hold on things.

Once they get a market tied up, they sit on it and do nothing new !

Regards

PS

I'm using IE 6.00.

Is it easy to install Firefox and then go back to IE if one needs to ?

Digby

nostalgia
01-23-2005, 08:27 PM
True enough.

As always, however, the end user is ultimately responsible for upgrading to the fixed version. The most serious flaw in any piece of software will always be a lazy or ignorant user.

Also very true!

tesco
01-23-2005, 08:38 PM

I am glad that IE is getting some opposition, we have to break Micro$oft's hold on things.

Regards

PS

I'm using IE 6.00.

Digby
yes it's very easy to go back to IE after instlaling firefox. IE is still there while firefox is isntalled, and you can choose which is your default browser.

a forum tag is a tag for making a text bold, italic, a URL, an image, etc.
Like this!

edit: more info here: http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/misc.php?do=bbcode

peat moss
01-23-2005, 08:39 PM

Regards

PS

I'm using IE 6.00.

Digby
Oh ya my wife likes IE , so I have both . You can import your bookmarks aswell . If you don't like FF just uninstall . Try it for a week you be the judge !

Edit: Themes are the ticket ! Some great tools , and you only download the ones you want. But I think Adblock is a keeper ! :)

https://addons.update.mozilla.org/themes/?application=%7Bec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384%7D

Barbarossa
01-24-2005, 01:14 PM

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=582&e=1&u=/nm/20050123/wr_nm/column_pluggedin_dc

According to this story, Firefox is currently used by about 5% of internet users.

IE is used by about 90% of users, but that is a 5% drop in about 6 months.

I've found that only about 1% of sites have problems with Firefox, but that is probably due to sloppy website coding rather than anything wrong with the browser itself.

{I}{K}{E}
01-24-2005, 02:01 PM
Firefox Hits 20 Million Downloads

Firefox, the open-source browser which only went 1.0 in November, has this morning hit 20 million downloads. At the time of writing, the site's download counter reads "20,001,054" - it's currently averaging anything from 210,000 to 270,000 downloads every day.

Asa Dotzler, from the Mozilla Foundation, said: "In seventy six days, more than sixty three thousand of you have joined the effort to deliver Firefox 1.0 to more than twenty million thankful users - you all are simply amazing! You all have demonstrated that open source community can be powerful, committed, and capable of accomplishing once-unimaginable feats."

Figures show that 1.1 million people downloaded v1.0 on the day of its release. Download figures also rose to around 300,000 a day for the two days after an advert for the browser appeared in the New York Times. The download rate has remained fairly steady since the middle of November. v1.1 of Firefox is expected later this year.

tesco
01-24-2005, 10:11 PM
:ohmy: it's growing fast!

ftcnt
01-24-2005, 10:47 PM
gotta be careful with a lot of those surveys that guess what browsers people use. ive seen the numbers be as high as 10 percent according to some sources in terms of FF use.

{I}{K}{E}
02-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Firefox breaks 25 million downloads

On February 15th, exactly 99 days after it was released, Firefox 1.0 smashed through the 25 million download milestone.