PDA

View Full Version : Stargate Atlantis, is it good?

worldpease
01-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Hi everyone, taking on acount that I like Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, etc., do you think I would like Stargate Atlantis?, is it good?, is it better or worst than ¨SG-1¨?
Cus I like most of the espisodes of SG-1, exept for the realy boring ones.
Atlantis is not aired here, but I might Download it, depending on your coments.

cpt_azad
01-19-2005, 11:16 PM
it's a spinoff of SG1, frankly, I don't find it that intersting. mcguyver always made things seem better then they were and i had no problem with that :) but now that he's gone, no thanks.

n18
01-19-2005, 11:18 PM
if u like sci fi you will enjoy this, but its not as interesting as sg1.

sArA
01-19-2005, 11:24 PM
I thought it was totally crap with uninteresting and unsympathetic characters.

The storylines were so (no offense intended at all) but they were typical cheesy American hero type stuff with nice little moralistic endings and stereotyped scenarios.

Needless to say as a huge sci-fi fan, I was mortally dissapointed....

Now....Farscape the new mini series......class. :)

worldpease
01-19-2005, 11:37 PM
is there a ¨New¨ farScape?

sArA
01-19-2005, 11:41 PM
Well, its just being shown on British TV but I don't know how new it is...its new to us tho...'the peacekeeper wars'

DarthInsinuate
01-20-2005, 12:17 AM
Atlantis is pretty much SG-1 all over again, familiar characters, familar storylines, they even use a lot of actors who appeared in SG1 again. But it is written by the same people, so there's potential that in the second season they'll have developed the story some more

cpt_azad
01-20-2005, 12:32 AM
i doubt it. this show is going no where fast.

Busyman
01-20-2005, 12:42 AM
Well, its just being shown on British TV but I don't know how new it is...its new to us tho...'the peacekeeper wars'
The Peacekeeper Wars was made to be a conclusion to the whole series.

It's very, very short.

Stargate Atlantis is worse than SG-1. The Sci-Fi Channel is very smart to air it after SG-1. As a viewer I just watch it, in part because it's a continuation of the Stargate universe and it's on right after it.

I still enjoy it though it is no where near SG-1 quality. Keep in mind SG-1 is a direct continuation of the movie with minor tweeks to the story.

cpt_azad
01-20-2005, 01:38 AM
I still enjoy it though it is no where near SG-1 quality. Keep in mind SG-1 is a direct continuation of the movie with minor tweeks to the story.

yup, i still think richard dean anderson is a way better o'neill then kurt russell ever was or can be. sg-1 is a really good series, atlantis just isn't at that "level"

3RA1N1AC
01-20-2005, 02:03 AM
yup, i still think richard dean anderson is a way better o'neill then kurt russell ever was or can be. sg-1 is a really good series, atlantis just isn't at that "level"
richard dean anderson's o'neill and kurt russell's o'neill are like two totally different characters though. kurt russell was doing an exaggerated john wayne impression like his "big trouble in little china" character, and RDA is playing it more like a wisecracking macgyver. i don't think kurt russell's acting was bad in the movie, it's just that the movie/script were no good ('cause roland emmerich & dean devlin basically suck).

but yeah, agreed, that sg-1 is much better than the movie... and atlantis isn't doing too hot, so far. atlantis is trying to establish a slightly different personality from sg-1... but the commander of their mission is this annoying hippie, and the other characters are kinda boring so far. the writers need to come up with more interesting things to say about each character, and more interesting ways to show what each person is about, what makes him different from the others, etc.

Bebi
01-20-2005, 02:45 PM
I like the enemy better in atlantis, I also agree that the characters are kind of boring (except for mckay) but I would like to see the wraith kick some goa'uld ass lol or maybe even an appearence from them in the sg1 universe :01:

I do think atlantis season 2 has potential tho for some reason :music:

Samurai
01-20-2005, 03:14 PM
i have it on good authority that it really picks up from season 3 onwards, but i haven't managed to see as much as i'd like so i can't comment on the series personally

Barbarossa
01-20-2005, 04:16 PM

Damn, without SKY I have to wait until autumn 2006 to see it on channel 5...

... unless I can find an online source of course.. :P

ilw
01-20-2005, 05:58 PM
its pretty lame nowhere near the same league as sg1. imo the actors are pretty shit and the characters they portray are even worse (shallow and v. predictable). The wraith (bad guys) suck too

Entity101
01-20-2005, 07:03 PM
I like Stargate Atlantis :P

Mïcrösöül°V³
01-20-2005, 07:35 PM
i too enjoy atlantis, thats why i have all 18 episodes on my pc :P

Busyman
01-21-2005, 01:44 AM
its pretty lame nowhere near the same league as sg1. imo the actors are pretty shit and the characters they portray are even worse (shallow and v. predictable). The wraith (bad guys) suck too
The Wraith are a pretty good enemy.

They use humans as livestock then hibernate leaving enough alive for when they wake back up.

n18
01-21-2005, 02:58 AM
The Wraith are a pretty good enemy.

They use humans as livestock then hibernate leaving enough alive for when they wake back up.
the gua'uld use humans as hosts, and they got superpowers... samething basically.

Busyman
01-21-2005, 03:05 AM
the gua'uld use humans as hosts, and they got superpowers... samething basically.
Uh.....no. :dry:

SingaBoiy
01-21-2005, 01:05 PM
Them and the wraith are very different. Wraith are actually human.

The series is pretty good if you ask me. I am a huge SG1 fan and I was very hesitent to watch Atlantis. It is very good. :P