PDA

View Full Version : Pics From Bush Inauguration Protests.

mogadishu
01-21-2005, 04:09 AM
I'm posting these pics in more or less chronological order.

Gathering, some speakers at Malcom X Plaze - http://img67.exs.cx/img67/2090/revingup8jk.jpg

Pick up some coffins to march with. - http://img67.exs.cx/img67/8445/coffinpickup5vf.jpg

On We March! - http://img69.exs.cx/img69/1299/onwemarch9el.jpg

Through a Tunnel - http://img95.exs.cx/img95/8044/tunnel2kf.jpg

After this is our first encounter with bush supporters. All along the parade route there were way more protestors than bush supporters. Every place he went along the root there were tons of signs and the boos were so loud you could barely hear the bush supporters.

After a lot of pusing and shoving, we finally get in - http://img95.exs.cx/img95/6927/madpeopletrytogetincheckpoint2.jpg

We get in as a bunch of Dubya buses zoom by - http://img38.exs.cx/img38/3548/dubyabuseszoomby5vc.jpg

A lot of waiting, chanting. Many bush folks go back to their hotels. We were lucky to get in, there were still tens of thousands of protestors that got in. Where we were it was quite thin, but way more protestors.

I take a few pics of the snippers - http://img76.exs.cx/img76/1290/snipers8mn.jpg

This one looked like he was guna fall off - http://img138.exs.cx/img138/7493/sniperonledge5ux.jpg

They did creep me out a bit.. as they could have had their guns trained on me or anyone in a croud. I'm not complaining, as this must be expected at any event of this sort, just a bit creepy.

As we waited, a duck walked up to me and I needed to take a pic. The people in the background were obnoxious bush supporters that cheered whenever the cops moved protestors around. - http://img76.exs.cx/img76/3818/antiwarduckforegroundstupidpro.jpg

Here comes the procession, very, very fast. - http://img89.exs.cx/img89/4227/probushforegroudsnipersandoile.jpg

They wiz right by us and the bush supporters, who look and sound a bit dejected - http://img89.exs.cx/img89/5633/theywentbymadfast0ce.jpg

It took a while to get back, the cops had to use tear gas to try and disperse some of the tens of thousands of protestors that weren't allowed into the procession area. On the balcony are a bunch of bush supporters who somehow found it necessary to counter any protestors chant with their own chant of "USA! USA! USA!, no matter what we said - http://img110.exs.cx/img110/1970/10015708xn.jpg

Overall, I must say the cops handled it very well and we could basically go wherever we wanted until we got very close to penn. avenue. I must stress that there were waaaay more protestors than bush supporters and wherever he went he could hear loud boos. Heckling could be heard while he was giving his speech. This was one of the most successful protests I have attended, and I only hope the press doesn't play it down like it always does.

ziggyjuarez
01-21-2005, 04:54 AM
meh bush is a great hero to me :dry:

Skiz
01-21-2005, 05:14 AM
<---Bush voter/supporter.

There weren't as many Bush supporters there because our voice has already been heard. That's why he's being inaugurated again. :P

Djtima
01-21-2005, 05:23 AM
What are you a hippy photographer?

mogadishu
01-21-2005, 05:33 AM
uh no.. i just brought a camera with me. I don't know the first thing about photography, and don't claim to. Just wanted to take some pictures to remember the protest. I posted em here cus people were talking about the upcoming protests.

cpt_azad
01-21-2005, 05:55 AM
Bush = The biggest bitch of all.

I wish I was there fuckin woulda thrown something at him if I could :) but then I'd get shot so....

TheDave
01-21-2005, 11:52 AM
rarely use this smiley in teh drawing room :01:

if it wasn't for people going to these marches i reckon the world would be in faster decline

Samurai
01-21-2005, 12:36 PM
nice pics. you detailed it well.

SuperJude™
01-21-2005, 12:58 PM
I am still disgusted with the way many of the protesters presented themselves in NYC for the convention. I am sure if the republicans had behaved this way at the democratic convention you people would have rioted. Nice to see you behaved yourselves!

I only wish there was some way I could relay just how many of you Protesting types look to so many of us other Americans. You know, the middle of the road sorts who look at the news and see a pack of middle and upper class white people protesting other middle and upper class white people.

At least the Hippies really believed in their ideals, you people just like to hate Bush. If you gave a shit about this world I would see threads about the environment (I been saying this for 2 years here) instead of endless crap about the ONLY President to actually be color blind (though I am sure you will all have some rationelle for how and why Bush trust blacks and hispanics to be a part of this countries government).

So what happens when you people run out of things to protest?
-SJ™

TheDave
01-21-2005, 01:18 PM
bush puts himself forward as a representative. so its easy to blame him for what americas doing to the world, he is the one responsible for unjust wars and human rights violations. these people who protest are angry and desperate, they dont even know if there will be another election in 4 years.

manker
01-21-2005, 01:21 PM
I am still disgusted with the way many of the protesters presented themselves in NYC for the convention. I am sure if the republicans had behaved this way at the democratic convention you people would have rioted. Nice to see you behaved yourselves!

I only wish there was some way I could relay just how many of you Protesting types look to so many of us other Americans. You know, the middle of the road sorts who look at the news and see a pack of middle and upper class white people protesting other middle and upper class white people.

At least the Hippies really believed in their ideals, you people just like to hate Bush. If you gave a shit about this world I would see threads about the environment (I been saying this for 2 years here) instead of endless crap about the ONLY President to actually be color blind (though I am sure you will all have some rationelle for how and why Bush trust blacks and hispanics to be a part of this countries government).

-SJ™
Who the hell do you think you are.

You did start off carefully avoiding singling out the thread starter as the target for your stereotypical diatribe but then it descended into an attack on something you know nothing about. Do you know that all hippies believed in their ideals more than this guy, or any specific person, who took the time and trouble to travel and make their opinion heard. Was his protest really made up of upper class people who had nothing better to do than some non-specific Bush hating.

I don't know if you have special hippies in the US but I've encountered some who make that lifestyle choice that care about little more than their local dealer. Are you going to tell me it used to be different, back in the day. That there were no apathetic stoners who were just 'along for the ride'.

It seems to me that you're shaping the facts to fit your own distain of people who can actually be bothered to go out and demonstrate their beliefs. Or is it that it was a tad inconvenient to have NY invaded by litter dropping aliens.

TheDave
01-21-2005, 01:39 PM
omg http://moderation.invisionzone.com/style_emoticons/default/PWNED.gif

100%
01-21-2005, 02:05 PM
-
From Bush's inaugural speach
:lol:
http://dubyaspeak.com/freshdubya.shtml

Amount of Freedom
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/sjoko/0fr1.png

Amount of Liberty
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/sjoko/0fr2.jpg

ruthie
01-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Great pics. I was so pleased to see them. We had planned to attend the protests, but alas, scroff couldn't get off of work. As usual, the media underplayed the protests...showing just small groups of people. I'm so glad you made it there and took pictures..thanks.

Jude said

At least the Hippies really believed in their ideals, you people just like to hate Bush. If you gave a shit about this world I would see threads about the environment (I been saying this for 2 years here) instead of endless crap about the ONLY President to actually be color blind (though I am sure you will all have some rationelle for how and why Bush trust blacks and hispanics to be a part of this countries government
-SJ™

You are disgusted? Sucks to be you. ROFL. The NYC protest was great. Were you also disgusted at how Veterans for Peace presented themselves? How about Iraq Veterans Against the War? Everybody sucks, right Jude? You are the prime example of "proper" behavior?
Your comments show bigotry as far as I'm concerned..if you bothered walking around and meeting lots of the people at the protests, you would have found a wide array of people from all walks of life. Let's not turn this into whitey on whitey.
You say hippies believed in their ideals..there were all kinds of hippies bro, including those that were also junkies. You don't have to be a hippie to have an ideal, believe in it, and get out there and have your say. You say if one gave a shit, YOU would see threads about the environment, blah, blah, blah. For most protesters, the war is not the only issue they protest...but of course you know this, being the protest expert you are, being the guy who knows how everyone thinks and what their beliefs are. This attitude is egotistical and arrogant.

Busyman
01-21-2005, 07:39 PM

-SJ™
Ya'll don't mind SJ.

He always rags on what he calls libs all the time, yet he says he's not a conservative......

He offers nothing. Pay him no mind.

Biggles
01-21-2005, 07:59 PM
The speech was curious and had a number of interesting ideas lifted from one or two remarkable places including, I believe, the bit about "a fire in the mind" which is apparently from Dostoevsky's "The Possessed".

I stand in awe - W is a man of culture. :whistling

Busyman
01-21-2005, 08:07 PM
The speech was curious and had a number of interesting ideas lifted from one or two remarkable places including, I believe, the bit about "a fire in the mind" which is apparently from Dostoevsky's "The Possessed".

I stand in awe - W is a man of culture. :whistling
Hmmm, what I see is that he fucked up on Iraq and wants to reposition the whole war was about freedom and liberty all along by saying it a million times.
What's bad is that there are the dumb conservatives who actually believe that's what the war was about before the brainwash.

Either that or they are in denial.

Man of culture? He doesn't write his speeches. :whistling

lynx
01-21-2005, 08:28 PM
Try replacing all the "Freedom"s and "Liberty"s with "Badger", it makes much more interesting reading.

It then has a sort of familiar ring to it.

Man of culture indeed. :whistling

Biggles
01-21-2005, 08:34 PM
Try replacing all the "Freedom"s and "Liberty"s with "Badger", it makes much more interesting reading.

It then has a sort of familiar ring to it.

Man of culture indeed. :whistling

:lol: That was rather fun!

Busyman

You would think W would have said "are you sure I am not saying freedom too often - I don't want to sound daft" :whistling

Skiz
01-21-2005, 09:05 PM
bush puts himself forward as a representative. so its easy to blame him for what americas doing to the world, he is the one responsible for unjust wars and human rights violations. these people who protest are angry and desperate, they dont even know if there will be another election in 4 years.

OMG, this whole statment reeks of ignorance. Bush puts himself forward as a representative? He is the USA's representative!! Then you say, "he is the one responsible for unjust wars and human rights violations" Like what??? Saddam Hussein is the one who has commited human rights violations. How many bodies are have been recovered in mass graves alone? Some 300,000 I believe. He was committing mass genocide on his own people. Have you not seen the pictures of entire towns in Iraq that he tested biological weapons on where 1,000's are laying dead in the streets with there skin hanging off??? Saddam Hussein was bad for Iraq and the world alike. The world is a better place without him and so are the Iraqi people. People over there from children to the middle aged are just learning what immumnizations are, children are going to schools, etc, etc, etc. This war is just.

They don't know if there will be an election in 4 years?? WTF? Pure stupidity, plain and simple. :frusty: I really don't know what else to say about that.
----------------------------------------------------------

From Bush's inaugural speach

http://dubyaspeak.com/freshdubya.shtml

Amount of Freedom

Why is it bad for a world leader like President Bush (or anyone else for that matter) to speak out about freedom? Should I post MLK's famous 'Freedom' speech with a laughing smiley next to it? "Stupid MLK, always yappin about freedom this and freedom that" :lol: It's a sad day when an speech about freedom and liberty is looked down upon.

Sounds stupid doesn't it?
------------------------------------------------------------

I stand in awe - W is a man of culture.

Souces please
-------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm, what I see is that he fucked up on Iraq and wants to reposition the whole war was about freedom and liberty all along by saying it a million times.
What's bad is that there are the dumb conservatives who actually believe that's what the war was about before the brainwash.

Man of culture? He doesn't write his speeches.

How is it that he "fucked up on Iraq"? No, the US gov't did not find missile silos and the like but we knew he didn't have those types of things. We had intelligence that was telling us he was purchasing all the neccessary ingredients for all sorts of weapons, or like you dem/libs love to repeat, "weapons of mass destruction". But Saddam had kept out inspectors and refused to grant them access on his past 18 inspection dates. !8!! If Saddam wasn't hiding anything, than why was he refusing to let inspectors in? Can you really say that we should have granted him a 19th inspection date?? I can give a pretty good guess as to what the outcome would have been. The bottom line is, the USA has not broken any international or UN law and neither has Bush. Iraq is becoming a better place.

TheDave
01-21-2005, 09:17 PM
saddam wanted to use the idea of WMDs as a way to keep his power in the middle-east. he was paranoid if any enemies found out they weren't there they could attack.

Why is it bad for a world leader like President Bush (or anyone else for that matter) to speak out about freedom? Should I post MLK's famous 'Freedom' speech with a laughing smiley next to it? "Stupid MLK, always yappin about freedom this and freedom that" It's a sad day when an speech about freedom and liberty is looked down upon.

its a speech about war and occupation, a threat to the world. at least thats how i read it

Biggles
01-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Skizo

It is a good book - read it :)

Edit: I didn't understand the piece about inspections. The UN inspectors were in and asking for more time as their inspections were going well.

The earlier debacle was when Saddam threw out the inspectors because one US member was a CIA agent (later confirmed as such). Saddam said the inspectors could return as long as there were no US ones - the UN refused to make this allowance. The team that was in with Hans Blix had US elements.

There was no immediate need for war. Saddam was a git but we have not brought peace and tranquility to the Iraqis either. It will be some years before the Iraqis have the same level of services that they had in the 80s or even the 90s under sanctions. Quite apart from the Iraqi deaths, over 1500 coalition soldiers are dead and nearly 12,000 wounded. The tax dollars being sucked in to Iraq are enormous and will be for some time to come.

Saddam was not linked to AQ or 9/11 and had no WMD or even any current programmes - was this really the most cost effective way of getting him to stop being a regional and domestic bullyboy?

I actually thought his speech suggested he would use diplomacy more this term - something I think he should have considered earlier but what do I know?

vidcc
01-21-2005, 09:39 PM
We've done this subject over and over and as time goes by many anti war arguments stated in the past have been borne out.
I shall not go over everything but a few things I feel you need to think about

People over there from children to the middle aged are just learning what immumnizations are, children are going to schools, etc, etc, etc.

Hardly Saddams fault if syringes were banned because of sanctions :whistling

They don't know if there will be an election in 4 years?? WTF? Pure stupidity, plain and simple. :frusty: I really don't know what else to say about that.

just make sure you are aware who the candidates are ;)

How is it that he "fucked up on Iraq"? No, the US gov't did not find missile silos and the like but we knew he didn't have those types of things.

could you repeat that?...are you suggesting that Bush KNEW he didn't have the WMDs ? ...funny because he quite clearly stated the FACT that he DID.

and while you are at clearing up what you wrote..

or like you dem/libs love to repeat, "weapons of mass destruction".

Was I watching a different history...didn't Bush repeat it...over and over...in fact wasn't it a term invented in the white house ?.....perhaps the "dem/libs" are repeating it now because the term has returned to bite you "conservatives" on the brain..sorry ass.

Rat Faced
01-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Iraq had a better Education System and Free Universal Health Care before the Iraq/Iran war.. better than the USA.

So, yes.. those under the age of 15 in Iraq are seeing these for the first time. However most of those "Mass Graves" were soldiers from that war and Desert Storm.

There is no doubt whatsoever that 10,000s died under Hussian... however that number pales in comparison to the number of those that died because of the US/UK bombing and blocking of medical aid during the years between Desert Storm and the Invasion. So that crap sounds a little hypocritical to say the least.

About the speech...

Im particualarly impressed, given the current situation, of the phrase "We will not force our system of government on anyone else..." :blink:

Okay... right... someone want to tell him?

CONSTITUTION
They keep talking about drafting a Constitution for Iraq. Why
don't we just give them ours? It was written by a lot of really smart
guys, it's worked for over 200 years and we're not using it anymore

So true...

:rolleyes:

Busyman
01-21-2005, 10:45 PM
We've done this subject over and over and as time goes by many anti war arguments stated in the past have been borne out.
I shall not go over everything but a few things I feel you need to think about

could you repeat that?...are you suggesting that Bush KNEW he didn't have the WMDs ? ...funny because he quite clearly stated the FACT that he DID.

and while you are at clearing up what you wrote..

Was I watching a different history...didn't Bush repeat it...over and over...in fact wasn't it a term invented in the white house ?.....perhaps the "dem/libs" are repeating it now because the term has returned to bite you "conservatives" on the brain..sorry ass.
Hey vid................

:dry:

vidcc
01-21-2005, 10:48 PM
Hey vid................

:dry:

Are you suggesting you have the power to see into the future?

ruthie
01-21-2005, 10:53 PM
I foresee us going into Iran..we are hearing the same shit we heard pre-Iraq. Course, we hear Cheney go on about maybe Israel will strike first.

SuperJude™
01-21-2005, 11:31 PM
manker: if you are so worried about my Hippie Judging Credentials then worry thee not. I am a product of late 60's Greenwhich Village and then grew up in Woodstock NY. Trust me, I have seen my share of hippies and I remember how things were and I see what they are now. I understand I post sometimes in "absolutes" and such, but they are my opinions and I know they are mine, something not to be forced on others. My intent is only to express not to upset.

-SJ™

mogadishu
01-22-2005, 03:49 AM
No coment on the politics like, but thanks for posting the pictures. It was nice to see something like this from the perspective of one who was there like, rather than from the perspective of a journalist looking in.

Thanks, that was my intention with this thread. So true about the journalists. I don't know how most inaugurations work, but a few minutes before Bush went by, the announcer asked us to give a round of applause for the media who was in the procession. Very weird, I don't know why they were there, but they got boos second only to the President and Vice President. They sure weren't with the protestors. I'm not going to ramble about conservative media etc, but this just shows how lazy the American media is. The only members of the press I saw that was actually in the vicinity of the protests was a camera man and a reporter from a European news channel. I'm sure they left right after to go to Darfur and film a bit there that CNN will then buy and air themselves...

About the New York protests, Jude, I was there and I also live in Manhattan. The real people at fault here are the Republicans. Not only is New York City a overwhelmingly Democrate City, but people were fed up the GOP using 9/11 as a reason for every policy they implement. Not to say that other Americans don't have the right to be angry about 9/11, but it did happen here. Personally, my father worked in the second tower, but decided to take the local train to work instead of the express because he was reading a good book. Otherwise, he might well be dead today

The NYC protests were largely peaceful, with the exception of the anarchists who I hate just as much as the next person. They do not represent us and I am tired of them giving us a bad name. Many of my friends performed civil disobedience, but it in many cases it was arranged before hand with the police. When they crossed a certain line, the cops would arrest them. I made sure to thank cops when I passed them for what they were doing, and so did many others. Many cops told me that they wished they didn't have to be there and arrest us, and that they would be there too if they werent police. The anarchists get in fights with cops and burn things, and the national press, in order to get more ad revenue, go with the more sensational story, and who can blame them.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed the pics, and I tried to leave as much partisan views out of the descriptions as possible.

Busyman
01-22-2005, 04:54 AM
Are you suggesting you have the power to see into the future?
It was like me saying, "Come on in; the water's great."

Many conservatives are automatons.....

then again so are some liberals.

Show them proof of something (like tape) and because it faults their hero they come up with bullshit.

USE LOGIC OR STFU!!!

manker
01-22-2005, 12:02 PM
manker: if you are so worried about my Hippie Judging Credentials then worry thee not. I am a product of late 60's Greenwhich Village and then grew up in Woodstock NY. Trust me, I have seen my share of hippies and I remember how things were and I see what they are now. I understand I post sometimes in "absolutes" and such, but they are my opinions and I know they are mine, something not to be forced on others. My intent is only to express not to upset.

-SJ™I love the way that Hippie Judging Credentials is capitalised, like it's a diploma or something :D

There are far more hippies in the world that the ones you've seen, that's my point. Besides, I didn't really take issue with that, it was more that you lumped the thread starter and the protest he went to with what you perceive to be politically ignorant Bush haters.

I thought it rather unfair so expressed it as such.