PDA

View Full Version : Flip Top and swap magic

AzNsMaRtGuY333
01-21-2005, 10:06 PM
i know modchips are more reliable than flip top but to what degree? i dont want my flip top to break on me after a few monthes.

also can someone give me a few updated and reliable sites to buy the flip top and swap magic?

asmithz
01-21-2005, 10:27 PM
I have had my flip top for 7 months now, and there hasnt been a problem. There's really no differnce from swap magic and a modchip. Modchip is harder to install, but you dont have to swap to play games. Fliptop, a monkey can install it, but you have to swap each time you want to play a game.

I bought mine at consolesource.com

3RA1N1AC
01-21-2005, 10:30 PM
the flip lid is not flimsy. breaking the lid is not the problem to watch out for. it's that not all games are swap magic compatible, while nearly all games will be compatible with a current-generation mod chip. when there are incompatible games, chances are that there will soon by a BIOS update available for the chip which fixes that.

you can look at swapmagicfix.com to see which games are incompatible with swap magic. that is by no means a complete list (japanese-only games generally will not be listed), but it does include most of the major ones that have problems with swap magic.

asmithz
01-21-2005, 10:49 PM
the flip lid is not flimsy. breaking the lid is not the problem to watch out for. it's that not all games are swap magic compatible, while nearly all games will be compatible with a current-generation mod chip. when there are incompatible games, chances are that there will soon by a BIOS update available for the chip which fixes that.

you can look at swapmagicfix.com to see which games are incompatible with swap magic. that is by no means a complete list (japanese-only games generally will not be listed), but it does include most of the major ones that have problems with swap magic.

The old swap magic 2.0 had the problem of not loading games. I have the new ones, swap magic 3.3, and 100% of the games i have loaded. I have about 54 ps2 games.

AzNsMaRtGuY333
01-22-2005, 12:38 AM
yes...learning quite a lot

The old swap magic 2.0 had the problem of not loading games. I have the new ones, swap magic 3.3, and 100% of the games i have loaded. I have about 54 ps2 games.

but have you tried the games that are listed incompatible on the swap magic 3.3

any tutorials on installing a flip top?

asmithz
01-22-2005, 02:24 AM
yes...learning quite a lot

but have you tried the games that are listed incompatible on the swap magic 3.3

any tutorials on installing a flip top?

Wheres the list, the only list i seen is for 2.0.

You dont need tut, all you do it unscrew the top, replace it and thats it. Make sure to take the lid off slowly. Depending on what version there will be the stript to the power and reset.

AzNsMaRtGuY333
01-22-2005, 04:05 AM
i have found this site
http://www.chipzone.com/installation/playstation2/fliptop/page1.cfm
steps 8 to 12 are the steps that contradict what you said about just replacing the top

asmithz
01-22-2005, 11:38 AM
i have found this site
http://www.chipzone.com/installation/playstation2/fliptop/page1.cfm
steps 8 to 12 are the steps that contradict what you said about just replacing the top

Sorry that is something i did without thinking about it. When i installed it, i ddint need instructions, i just did it.

3RA1N1AC
01-22-2005, 12:03 PM
oh, cool. if that's true, then nevermind what i said.

asmithz
01-22-2005, 12:08 PM
oh, cool. if that's true, then nevermind what i said.

Yeah swapmagicfix.com is for swap magic 2.0.

AzNsMaRtGuY333
01-22-2005, 01:46 PM
Sorry that is something i did without thinking about it. When i installed it, i ddint need instructions, i just did it.

so does that mean you didnt take that white thing out on step 8 and it still worked?

so do i follow those instructions?

asmithz
01-22-2005, 02:03 PM
so does that mean you didnt take that white thing out on step 8 and it still worked?

so do i follow those instructions?

Yeah i did, you take the white thing out and put it in the flip top. Follow those instructions, there pretty accurate.

AzNsMaRtGuY333
01-22-2005, 04:42 PM
cool...thanks

any more reliable sites to buy?

SingaBoiy
01-22-2005, 04:43 PM
consolesource.com

EDIT: oops, thats the one he got his from.

AzNsMaRtGuY333
01-23-2005, 06:42 PM
what is the deal with this new merceneries game for the PS2...i read from forums that it dont work with the swap magic....

asmithz
01-23-2005, 08:08 PM
what is the deal with this new merceneries game for the PS2...i read from forums that it dont work with the swap magic....

Theres a patch for it to work, pm me if you need it.

Fastrap
01-24-2005, 01:38 PM
if i have an hd advance disc do i need the swap magic discs? to install games to the Hard Drive

What im saying is can i just buy the flip top and use it in conjunction with hd advance?

3RA1N1AC
01-24-2005, 02:07 PM
if i have an hd advance disc do i need the swap magic discs? to install games to the Hard Drive

What im saying is can i just buy the flip top and use it in conjunction with hd advance?
if you don't have a mod chip, then you need swap magic (or another factory pressed boot disc, i guess) and a flip-lid to install games from burned discs through the ps2 dvd drive.

you can format a hard drive in your ps2 with hdloader/hdadvance, then take the drive out of the ps2 and put it in your pc, use hdldump (or hdldumb, the windows menu version) to copy games onto it, then stick it back in the ps2. if you do this, then you don't need swap magic.

copying retail discs with hdloader/hdadvance does not require a modchip or swap magic at all, of course, which was the original purpose of hdloader.

your mileage may vary, as far as which games you're able to run with hdloader/hdadvance. most will run, some won't run, some may not install correctly through the dvd drive but WILL install correctly from a pc, etc.

checking google, it looks like it's possible to boot an ftp program (like FAPLink?) from hdloader/hdadvance. in which case, you could use hdldump to get the ftp program onto the hd, use hdloader/hdadvance to boot the ftp program, and just send games from your pc to your ps2 over ethernet/LAN... so you wouldn't have to keep moving the hard drive back & forth between the ps2 and pc. so there's another non-chip, non-swap possibility for ya.

edit: and the flip-lid is only necessary for swapping. if you're not going to swap, save a few bucks and don't bother with the flip-lid.

Fastrap
01-24-2005, 04:02 PM
if you don't have a mod chip, then you need swap magic (or another factory pressed boot disc, i guess) and a flip-lid to install games from burned discs through the ps2 dvd drive.

you can format a hard drive in your ps2 with hdloader/hdadvance, then take the drive out of the ps2 and put it in your pc, use hdldump (or hdldumb, the windows menu version) to copy games onto it, then stick it back in the ps2. if you do this, then you don't need swap magic.

copying retail discs with hdloader/hdadvance does not require a modchip or swap magic at all, of course, which was the original purpose of hdloader.

your mileage may vary, as far as which games you're able to run with hdloader/hdadvance. most will run, some won't run, some may not install correctly through the dvd drive but WILL install correctly from a pc, etc.

checking google, it looks like it's possible to boot an ftp program (like FAPLink?) from hdloader/hdadvance. in which case, you could use hdldump to get the ftp program onto the hd, use hdloader/hdadvance to boot the ftp program, and just send games from your pc to your ps2 over ethernet/LAN... so you wouldn't have to keep moving the hard drive back & forth between the ps2 and pc. so there's another non-chip, non-swap possibility for ya.

edit: and the flip-lid is only necessary for swapping. if you're not going to swap, save a few bucks and don't bother with the flip-lid.

(1)are you saying i can have two hard drives inside my pc at the same time?
(2)Or that i can take my original pc hard drive out and then put my (hd advance ps2 hard drive) inside my pc? If its the second option will I have to redownload or install all of the software again like msn and windows xp etc. onto the new hard drive?

thanks in advance

note: i already have hd advance and the ps2 hard drive with games on it.

3RA1N1AC
01-24-2005, 04:47 PM
(1)are you saying i can have two hard drives inside my pc at the same time?
yes. with the power turned off (of course) you connect a ps2 hard drive alongside your Windows hard drive, then turn the power on and Windows should boot up as normal. the ps2 hard drive uses a totally alien non-Windows file system, so most programs (including Windows Explorer) will not be aware that the drive is attached. a program like hdl_dumb will be able to see the ps2 hard drive and install bins/isos/cds/dvds onto it because the program is designed to detect and read the hdloader/hdadvance file system.

if you put the ps2 hard drive in your pc and Windows refuses to boot (don't panic if this happens, it's not a big deal, and the Windows drive should still be OK)... you may need to turn the power off, remove the ps2 hard drive, switch the jumper on the ps2 hard drive to "Slave" position so that the computer gives priority to the Windows drive, and try again. then when you put the drive back into the ps2, remember to switch the jumper back to its previous position.

AzNsMaRtGuY333
01-25-2005, 04:06 PM
another vital quesion i forgot to ask is

will the flip top ps2 play original games?

SingaBoiy
01-25-2005, 04:57 PM

Yes.

asmithz
01-25-2005, 06:03 PM

Its still the same PS2, you can play games normaly. If you want to play burnt games, you must use the swap discs.