PDA

View Full Version : Sharing via FTP, ...SAFE ?

worldpease
01-22-2005, 03:58 AM
Hi guys, Today I stumble before something, in a forum, there was a section that proposed what I mentioned befor, sharing using FTP...
Ok, what is FTP? (yea I know, IŽll google for it...), but, does it work?, cus I mean, that might be the first place I read about it, and does it improve the speed in some whay?

Rip The Jacker
01-22-2005, 04:27 AM
FTP (File Transfer Protocol)

To keep it brief, thats when someone starts an FTP server on his computer, hosting the files, and someone else connects to his server and downloads files. Unless I'm mistaken, its an absolutely safe way to share files. If you need more info, Google should be able to help.

worldpease
01-22-2005, 04:30 AM
Yes RipTJ..., and thanks for the very well put explanation.

worldpease
01-22-2005, 04:30 AM
And does someone on this forum use this method?
would someone be interested?

mogadishu
01-23-2005, 03:08 AM
FTP is not file sharing. It is the same as downloading a file from a website, only the site is a person's computer. In order for you to share you would have to set up your own server on your pc.

worldpease
01-23-2005, 05:30 AM
Yes, now I remember.
Time ago, when I had a personal technician, my PC was doing something wrong, the he told me by phone to type this addres of him on my browser and to download certain tool to fix it.
Damn, I have to learn to do that, just for the fun of it.

Skiz
01-23-2005, 05:39 AM
Ah...good ol' FTP serving. Remember years ago when you could find server chatrooms and have all the music shot into your email box and you could download it whenever you wanted

Peerzy
01-23-2005, 04:18 PM
And does someone on this forum use this method?
would someone be interested?

I use this method almost 90% of my downloading (well use to have no hdd space now) its fast (most are 10mbit hacks or legit 100mbits) its easy (flashfxp is very easy to use), it gets files before anything else (provided your on a 2hr pre or better).

Hanz™
01-23-2005, 06:13 PM
I use this method almost 90% of my downloading (well use to have no hdd space now) its fast (most are 10mbit hacks or legit 100mbits) its easy (flashfxp is very easy to use), it gets files before anything else (provided your on a 2hr pre or better).
Yeah but unless you are about to start handing out the adresses and passwords for loads of sites most of us are not about to get onto them. :huh:

Peerzy
01-23-2005, 06:30 PM
Yeah but unless you are about to start handing out the adresses and passwords for loads of sites most of us are not about to get onto them. :huh:

Not unless you've got something to offer. The guy asked who uses them and why i answered.

Jibbler
01-26-2005, 11:25 PM
Yes, FTP is a viable protocol for sharing files, but the only advantage to this, is that the rips come faster. This has nothing to do with speed of the program, but in the heirarchy or structure of the scene. Rips are sent first to high speed ftp servers, and then they trickle down to filesharing programs. If you are 'connected' in that way, you can grab from these fast servers. However,, you usually have to have something to offer them to gain axxess. Ie.. dump space, bncs, pre-store rips, etc

othmanni
02-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Ok i would like to through my 5 cent on the subject .. :)
Hi every one ..
I would say that sharing file (or using some one's computer as might the others say ) is a good wway for sharing ..I remmeber when i was in a forum named earthreactor forum there was this two guys actulay a guy and a girl not related to each other really these guys were using thier pc as a server (FTP server) so that peaple can upload and download stuff in it and the way was some body is requestin movie or album or any of that shit and then some body (good memeber of the forum) upload what is requested to the FTP and then inform the requester about it wether this was via the same thread or just a pm ..U know what I mean right!

Any way ..I had a problem in the past ..I used to have satlite connection -one way only (meaning downloadin via satlite and uploadin via dial up ) dont ask me why not use DSL or two way connection because it is way to0o0 expensive in my country (saudi arabia)..appearantly the p2p apps dont like my connection because my upload is way less than my download so when ever I try to use Ares or Kazaa lite or ES5( not any more!) or even bittorent , my download through these apps will not reach more than 5KB/s even though my stalite connection is 256kb/s downloadin so i search the net for a better way to utilize my stalite connection and i found out that the best way is either http or FTP links because these links dont look at ur upload speed as the p2p apps do ...
Now FTP i already saw that most of u guys talked aboutr it in complete way ..what I wanna talk about is HTTPs

I feel that best http links are the one that are directly linkin u to someone hard drive because these link will never die at least as loong the pc of the person is on ..
here is an exaple of what am talkin about
tis comin link is a link to my hard drive ..not all of it only some folder that want u to download;) this a folder in my hard drive that u all can connect to and download some of the filesharing programs that I have and I laso have friend series 8,9 and 10so enjoy and bring me the feed back aight

https://84.22.231.63/vfolder.ghp

powerstick
02-06-2005, 04:46 AM
it is not legal at all but instead of connecting to many machines, you would only connect to the ftp server so as long as its not BayIsp or some other bad persons/companies computer, I say you are safe.

Peerzy
02-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Yes, FTP is a viable protocol for sharing files, but the only advantage to this, is that the rips come faster. This has nothing to do with speed of the program, but in the heirarchy or structure of the scene. Rips are sent first to high speed ftp servers, and then they trickle down to filesharing programs. If you are 'connected' in that way, you can grab from these fast servers. However,, you usually have to have something to offer them to gain axxess. Ie.. dump space, bncs, pre-store rips, etc

Only advanted is rips come faster? How about the speed of the ftp's (Unless yor hacking pubs or shyte stro's your not gonna get anything less than a 10mbit) files are complete, no virus, no fake files, no spyware/adware and so on.

You don't always have to have something to offer, i got on my first sight when i got talking to a friend and found out they were on a site, they asked to the Siteop and got me on, from there you work your way up bu FXPing and curring files from ftp to ftp. Just go onto a IRCsearch and look for IRC chans that say looking for curries and ask the OPs inside.

lightshow
02-18-2005, 04:38 AM
Yea i use ftp all the time. It takes a few minuets to find something that has a reliable link, but hey when you get a good one, your set!

Hanz™
02-19-2005, 07:56 AM
Yea i use ftp all the time. It takes a few minuets to find something that has a reliable link, but hey when you get a good one, your set!
I think they are talking about slightly more reliable Dumpsites/topsites.
So all the same, it would be a nice thing.

Boozhound
02-19-2005, 11:42 AM
ftp is only not safe when your the host.
it makes your computer more vunrable.
when you make one you should make all the passwords in it at least 15 charecters tall.
or it will be vunrable to brute force attacks.