PDA

View Full Version : Controlling another pc remotely?

(>Zero Cool<)
01-25-2005, 04:05 AM
Ok I dunno if this is possible or not but I guess it probably is. :ermm:

Can I take control of a friend's pc through my own pc allowing me do some routine maintenance etc on his/her pc via the internet? I have seen PC anywhere in action but I think you need to be on a lan or a wan for that to work. :unsure:

If this is possible what would I need to do it? :huh:

Thanks for any help you can offer. :)

Zero

RealitY
01-25-2005, 04:08 AM
Havent tride it yet...
vnc-4.0-x86_win32.exe
http://www.realvnc.com/

Skiz
01-25-2005, 04:10 AM
Yeah just use, Start > programs > Remote access if you have Windows XP or if you plan on doing this on a frequent basis, you may want top think about NetOp

fkdup74
01-25-2005, 04:12 AM
i've used realvnc, its nice
but i think you can do the same with pcanywhere :unsure:
its just a little bulkier than vnc

(>Zero Cool<)
01-25-2005, 04:20 AM
Ok cool, thanks a lot folks. :01:

My mates, who know even less than me :rolleyes: , often ask me to do some bits and bobs on their pcs. This will save me having to visit them too :P

Ariel_001
01-25-2005, 04:21 AM
Ever thought of using a trojan horse? :shifty:

(>Zero Cool<)
01-25-2005, 04:28 AM
Ever thought of using a trojan horse? :shifty:

I did but if they nicked my bird I would be happy :greekmytholgysmiley:

and I don't have enough wood. :rolleyes:

bigboab
01-25-2005, 07:43 AM
There is a facility on MSN to do remote control. :) I have never used it. So cant advise. :(

Barbarossa
01-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Ok I dunno if this is possible or not but I guess it probably is. :ermm:

Can I take control of a friend's pc through my own pc allowing me do some routine maintenance etc on his/her pc via the internet? I have seen PC anywhere in action but I think you need to be on a lan or a wan for that to work. :unsure:

If this is possible what would I need to do it? :huh:

Thanks for any help you can offer. :)

Zero

PCAnywhere can be used over the internet, no trouble. PCAnywhere is great. :D

What OS does your mate have? XP Professional has an in-built remote desktop facility...

vampiro
01-25-2005, 01:11 PM
use ultr@vnc better then normal real vnc as it has file transfer built in and messaging to and from the server and user

(>Zero Cool<)
01-25-2005, 01:16 PM
PCAnywhere can be used over the internet, no trouble. PCAnywhere is great. :D

What OS does your mate have? XP Professional has an in-built remote desktop facility...

the answer is various. It would be handy if I could use this on different folks' pcs. Although in the most part xp. @Skizo pointed me in the direction of the inbuilt above. :) I think PC anywhere might be the way to go as I have sorta used it before. Thanks for the help. :D

@boab . thanks mate, but what are you doing in here :unsure: ;)

tesco
01-25-2005, 01:16 PM
I always just use Netmeeting. it works much faster and less annoyingly than remote assistance.
and there's nothing to install.

just go start>run>type 'conf' and it will ask for name and email and stuff (the first time only), then you put in the IP of the computer to connect with and voila it's connected (if they had netmeeting open and click accept).

(>Zero Cool<)
01-25-2005, 01:18 PM
@vampiro and @rossco thanks just noticed your posts when I looked up from my keyboard. :)

Mïcrösöül°V³
01-25-2005, 07:55 PM
I use Remote administrator 2.1. very small and works nicely

Skiz
01-26-2005, 03:28 AM
I always just use Netmeeting. it works much faster and less annoyingly than remote assistance.

Yeah, Remote Assistance is okay but it lags down your system pretty bad.

Gre1
01-26-2005, 05:30 AM
Well, someone just remotely controlling my computer with a trojan he kept restarting my shit I thought it was someone in my house until it cut off in my face just got the virus off.