PDA

View Full Version : So I built a new PC and now I have 2 OS's

healimonster
01-26-2005, 06:45 PM
Well, not really. I built a pc and installed XP pro on my c drive, the install didnt go properly due to bad memory so I tried to install the OS on a small partition on the same drive which Compaq used to load the OS many moons ago. Since then I had deleted that and did a clean install on the C drive alone and one OS.

Then I built a new PC and use the that same drive as my master, because of the aforementioned problems I needed up trying to install the OS on the smaller partition on the same drive. that worked but every time I tried to down load or install anything it was tying to go to this tiny partition so i did a clean install which worked on the C drive and now whenever I boot up it asks me which version I want to boot.

not sure of what to do I formated the smaller partition hoping to wipe it out, well the OS and everything on that partition are gone as far as I can tell, but every time I boot up I still get the question which OS do I want to choose.

How do I get rid of that and just get it to boot directly to my sole functioning OS. (i have tried to boot into the other OS and it doesnt work and wont let me)

Thanks for any suggestions.

gutties
01-26-2005, 08:00 PM
same thing happened to me,irritating aint it :frusty:. I ended up doing another clean install on c and the other os majically dissapeared, dont know why, dont know how. The only other thing i could suggest is a hammer. :tank:

Peerzy
01-26-2005, 08:07 PM
Control Panel>System>Advanced>Startup And recovery

Choose the S you want to boot to and change the time alowed to choose different OS to 1 second.

tesco
01-26-2005, 08:51 PM
Control Panel>System>Advanced>Startup And recovery
click edit boot.ini then remove the line with the OS you DON'T want. Make sure you get the right one. If you're not sure which then post here what it says and we'll tell you which to remove.

healimonster
02-04-2005, 01:16 AM
worked like a charm, thanks!

can I do anything with that old small partition?

I mean, sure I can save stuff on it, but what is the point. Can I some how make that partition part of the larger partition without having to reformat and re-install everything?

Thanks

tesco
02-04-2005, 01:22 AM
yes you can merge them together using Partition Magic, Acronis, or another program.

fkdup74
02-04-2005, 02:08 AM
yes you can merge them together using Partition Magic, Acronis, or another program.

hmmm...dont think you can do it with acronis :unsure:
besides, merging is touchy shit
partitions have to be the same cluster size, cant be over a certain cluster size, etc
easiest way is just to delete the one he doesnt want and then increase free space

-edit- unless that partitions too small...theres no reason NOT to keep it
having the disc partitioned helps with a lot of things
keeping data off the OS partition, faster defragging...etc

heres me, a little extreme maybe, but this is how i like it :P
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/fkdup74/discs.png

Adster
02-04-2005, 02:17 AM
hmmm...dont think you can do it with acronis :unsure:
besides, merging is touchy shit
partitions have to be the same cluster size, cant be over a certain cluster size, etc
easiest way is just to delete the one he doesnt want and then increase free space

-edit- unless that partitions too small...theres no reason NOT to keep it
having the disc partitioned helps with a lot of things
keeping data off the OS partition, faster defragging...etc

heres me, a little extreme maybe, but this is how i like it :P
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/fkdup74/discs.png

what did I try and tell you about araconis it doesn't merge :P partitions magic does

fkdup74
02-04-2005, 02:19 AM
what did I try and tell you about araconis it doesn't merge :P partitions magic does

yeah but did you ever get them merged? :P

Adster
02-04-2005, 02:20 AM
ummmmm...... I'm stil working on it :P