PDA

View Full Version : Is this racist?

UKResident
01-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Serious question here, l know this is the lounge, but l'm sure you can rise to the occassion.

My first reaction was that it was racist, but it seems this sort of thing is OK in the US. So watch the animation and see what you think.

Ghetto Airlines (http://www.brainwashstudios.com/ghetto_air.html)

Samurai
01-27-2005, 12:40 PM
i found it somewhat amusing but for you to even ask "is this racist", would imply that you have thought about it and came to the same conclusion that i have. Someone, somewhere will find it offensive.

Now post some more of these mother fuckin' clips hoe :shifty:

manker
01-27-2005, 12:44 PM
I don't think it was racist. Maybe it could be argued that it is, but it wouldn't be high on my list of things to ban. Perhaps people may take offence because of the black stereotypes but I thought that the middle class white guy was made to look ridiculous because of the antiquated street speak, yo.

It was about as funny as toothache too.

Guillaume
01-27-2005, 12:48 PM
I don't think it was racist. Maybe it could be argued that it is, but it wouldn't be high on my list of things to ban. Perhaps people may take offence because of the black stereotypes but I thought that the middle class white guy was made to look ridiculous because of the antiquated street speak, yo.

You's be right, homie.

The butt of the joke obviously is the pseudo street-smart white guy.
And is "ghetto" a race?

100%
01-27-2005, 06:22 PM
Its obviously ment as stygmatisd humor
hence it is regarded as funny.
It does not go too far neither (at all)

{I}{K}{E}
01-27-2005, 06:32 PM
link doesnt work here (FF and IE) :huh:

Peerzy
01-27-2005, 06:34 PM
link doesnt work here (FF and IE) :huh:

Worked for me 5mins ago.

Rat Faced
01-27-2005, 10:04 PM
Don't be fooled by cheap imitations, this is the original Off-Topic forum. Come on in and talk about absolutely anything (within our board rules).

:P

dwightfry
01-27-2005, 10:13 PM
nah, stereotypes are funny. I'm a cracker, that's funny. I used to get uncomfortable when stand up comedians would make jokes about people of another race, but stereotypes are funny and I got over it.

100%
01-27-2005, 10:18 PM
let the games begin.

was that a racist insinuation? :blink:

100%
01-27-2005, 10:21 PM
Ticket or no Ticket
Warning! You are now heading into the much feared "sexist" zone.
(which is highly offtopic in relation to the dilemnas at hand)

Darth Sushi
01-27-2005, 10:21 PM
Racist? It depends who you ask. Ebonics aside, I for one found it boring.

Snee
01-27-2005, 10:26 PM
Gay Christian Athletes Online (http://www.gaychristianonline.org/gaychristianathletics10.html)

seems just the ticket for this thread.
Hooray!

I found this to be a most illuminating article on the very same subject.
Sports and the homosexual cover-up (http://adequacy.org/public/stories/2002.4.30.154920.172.html)

100%
01-27-2005, 10:27 PM
It all depends on the eye ball of the Beholder

bigboab
01-27-2005, 10:30 PM
Gay Christian Athletes Online (http://www.gaychristianonline.org/gaychristianathletics10.html)

seems just the ticket for this thread.

You have just spoiled a good tune. :(

Rat Faced
01-27-2005, 10:31 PM
I have had my doubts about "sportsmen" ever since soccer players started kissing each other after scoring a goal..

Always seemed that scoring one way led to scoring another... :ph34r:

Snee
01-27-2005, 10:32 PM
It all depends on the eye ball of the Beholder
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/snorlax/15.gif

hobbes
01-28-2005, 02:03 AM
serious questions dont belong in the lounge.

if we posted crap in the serious place it would get moved here, so the opposite should also be done.

can a mod move this thread please.

Yeah, like this was a serious thread.

It is just another attack on the US, masquerading as "Gosh, I thought it was offensive, but the US seems to think it is "ok".

Oh yes, we stand in line endorsing this video, all of us.

The desired answer is "You are right, that plays on stereotypes and is just plain wrong. Those people in the US are bigoted, racist assholes".

So blitheringly transparent.

A parody is a parody, and a funny parody it was. Manker and Guillaume, pretty much nailed it.

UKResident
01-28-2005, 03:57 AM
Don't hold back Hobbes, tell us what you really think. :lol:

brotherdoobie
01-28-2005, 05:47 AM

A toothache is funnier...:dry:

Peace bd

Skiz
01-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Who gives a shit? That was one of the funniest thing I've seen!!! :lol:

What's an easy way to save those types of videos?

manker
01-28-2005, 10:10 AM
Who gives a shit? That was one of the funniest thing I've seen!!! :lol:

What's an easy way to save those types of videos?An easy way is the Firefox .swf ripper plug in ;) :D

But since you're not inclined that way, you'll need to look into the source of your browser, seach for .swf and make the url preceding it a html link, easy way to do that is to type it into a reply here and hit the preview bar.

Then right click, save as.

Guillaume
01-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Yeah, like this was a serious thread.

It is just another attack on the US, masquerading as "Gosh, I thought it was offensive, but the US seems to think it is "ok".

Oh yes, we stand in line endorsing this video, all of us.

The desired answer is "You are right, that plays on stereotypes and is just plain wrong. Those people in the US are bigoted, racist assholes".

So blitheringly transparent.

A parody is a parody, and a funny parody it was. Manker and Guillaume, pretty much nailed it.

shhh!
Don't mention a french guy not bashing the US. That may shatter J2K4's world. ;)

lynx
01-28-2005, 11:54 AM
shhh!
Don't mention a french guy not bashing the US. That may shatter J2K4's world. ;)This is the lounge, he probably won't spot it in here. :ohmy:

Cheese
01-28-2005, 12:34 PM
I feel compelled to post something.

Yogi
01-28-2005, 12:41 PM
I feel compelled to post something.

Hey, honey!!!! :wub:

Why not post in the other thread............... :unsure:

YoTorn

manker
01-28-2005, 01:00 PM
Why not post in the other thread...............:unsure: It's a bit pathetic, to be honest, Yogi :(