PDA

View Full Version : "behind your back"

dwightfry
01-27-2005, 09:41 PM
If somebody was talking about you while you were in the same room as them, and you didn't realize it because it was over your head. Would that be talking behind your back.

EDIT: Oops, I kinds messed up the poll question.

dwightfry
01-27-2005, 10:32 PM
Nobody has an opinion? If somebody had you passing messages about yourself to somebody but you didn't know it was about you for example?

Bonus question. Is being a dick like that considered civil as opposed to being an ass and putting them down right to their face.

100%
01-27-2005, 10:35 PM
Depends whether you where saying it over their heads in a behind back sort of way.

dwightfry
01-27-2005, 10:36 PM
if you are shady with how phrase things so they don't realize it's about them.

j2k4
01-28-2005, 01:17 AM
I don't think so.

The only satisfactory reason for doing so would be to tweak and pique by leaving hints about what you are doing in order to provoke a reaction.

This is generally only done to paranoid people, and even paranoid people know how to use dictionaries.

Only preying on those truly bereft of any sort of brain-power would suit your poser, Renfield, and the mere thought is too dismaying to entertain; I don't believe we have anybody capable of it who would stoop so low.

I hope. :huh:

dwightfry
01-28-2005, 01:51 AM
My best friend does it ALL THE TIME. Damn good at it too. It's not in a cheesy snickering kinda way, it's a "god I hate this person and if I wasn't so 'civil' I'd tell them to there face, but I'll keep the peace because others seem to be enjoying themselves" kinda way. (granted the snickering way has occured from time to time.)

j2k4
01-28-2005, 01:57 AM
My best friend does it ALL THE TIME. Damn good at it too. It's not in a cheesy snickering kinda way, it's a "god I hate this person and if I wasn't so 'civil' I'd tell them to there face, but I'll keep the peace because others seem to be enjoying themselves" kinda way. (granted the snickering way has occured from time to time.)

Forgive me, Rennie, but your friend sounds like a bit of a prick.:huh:

I realize that might sound a little self-righteous, but there it is.

dwightfry99
01-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Oh he is. He loves life, but hates people. I hate life and love people.

Anyhoo...

I think it's definitly talking behind someones back.

manker
01-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Your best friend is a prick? Weird, mine is a decent sort of a bloke :huh:

Edit: Nice pics of you as a kid on the website :lol:

dwightfry
01-28-2005, 01:51 PM
MULLET!!

I can't believe I let my mom do that to me. That wasn't the type of long hair I was talking about. :dry:

ruthie
01-28-2005, 04:04 PM
I think that kind of behavior is rude and mean-spirited, and probably done only to boost the ego of the one acting that way. What purpose does that behavior serve?

dwightfry
01-28-2005, 05:32 PM
I totally agree. It's uncalled for. It really came down to hating stupid people. Stupid people being those who choose to remain ignorant, and make life harder on themselves by worrying about petty problems. He's gone through more in his life than anyone I know. He's lived out of my van before. There are some larger factors there that I won't get into, it's too personal. But he really doesn't do it so that the paranoid find out, he does it to express his bitterness without bringing down the party. And yes, his ego is certainly up there, only because if everyone had his mind set the world really would be a better place. (He's gone through so much and yet he enjoys life to the fullest. I think that says a lot about a person) If you enjoy analyzing people, he is an interesting subject to say the least. Having known him for a vast majority of my life, I could go on for hours, and still not fully understand.

I don't think so.

The only satisfactory reason for doing so would be to tweak and pique by leaving hints about what you are doing in order to provoke a reaction.

This is generally only done to paranoid people, and even paranoid people know how to use dictionaries.

Only preying on those truly bereft of any sort of brain-power would suit your poser, Renfield, and the mere thought is too dismaying to entertain; I don't believe we have anybody capable of it who would stoop so low.

I hope.

J2, knowing that he is doing in such a way that he doesn't want the person to find out, or at least not at that time. Would you then consider it talking behind someones back? I don't see a difference. Obviously 'behind your back' wasn't meant to be taken literally, so metaphorically I think it means to talk about someone without there knowing. Which is exactly what's going on here.

j2k4
01-29-2005, 01:57 AM
J2, knowing that he is doing in such a way that he doesn't want the person to find out, or at least not at that time. Would you then consider it talking behind someones back? I don't see a difference. Obviously 'behind your back' wasn't meant to be taken literally, so metaphorically I think it means to talk about someone without there knowing. Which is exactly what's going on here.

Hmmmm.

I will Mull-it and get back to you. :D

Busyman
01-29-2005, 02:48 AM
I think that kind of behavior is rude and mean-spirited, and probably done only to boost the ego of the one acting that way. What purpose does that behavior serve?
I'll tell you what....

It serves the purpose of..I simply feel like talking about the person like a dog. If they happen not to be there I'm not going to adhere by some bullshit code of keeping my mouth shut so I can say it to there face.

At the same time, if the person is present I couldn't give a shit either. :dry:

There are times, however, where it's pure stupidity to talk shit....like say around your boss or "the guy waving the gun" but otherwise fuck 'em.