PDA

View Full Version : Web inventor is 'Greatest Briton'

Samurai
01-28-2005, 10:56 AM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40768000/jpg/_40768903_berners-lee_203.jpg

The inventor of the world wide web has been named Greatest Briton 2004 at a ceremony attended by Gordon Brown.
Sir Tim Berners-Lee, who developed the web in the late 1980s, said he was just "in the right place at the right time".

Accepting his award and £25,000 at the Royal Courts of Justice, Sir Tim said it was an "amazing honour".

Six other Britons, including Olympic gold medallist Kelly Holmes and fashion designer Sir Paul Smith, were also given awards at the ceremony.

The seven were given titles in fields such as the arts, science, business and public service.

On receiving his award on Thursday, Sir Tim said: "I have won awards for computers but I have never won an award for being British.

source @ http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4214473.stm

UKResident
01-28-2005, 06:05 PM
Thanks Tim. ;)

Ariel_001
01-28-2005, 06:25 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee

Early life and career

Berners-Lee was born in London, England, and attended Emanuel School in Wandsworth. He is an alumnus of the Queen's College of Oxford University, where he built a computer with a soldering iron, TTL gates, an M6800 processor and an old television. It was also at Oxford where he was caught hacking with a friend and was subsequently banned from using the university computer.

He worked at Plessey Telecommunications Limited in 1976 as a programmer, and in 1978 he worked at D.G Nash Limited where he worked on typesetting software and an operating system.

He sounds interesting..

"The importance of this contest is to try to restore in people's minds the idea of Britain.

Can someone tell me what that idea is?

Samurai
01-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Don't want to take anything away from this man's apparent great achievment, but I swear I heard the Internet was made by the US Military during the Cold War.

manker
01-28-2005, 06:44 PM
Didn't clocker invent the interweb.

Samurai
01-28-2005, 06:53 PM
Didn't clocker invent the interweb.

this isn't the lounge *anker :lol:

manker
01-28-2005, 06:58 PM
this isn't the lounge *anker :lol:Stop spamming then :stuart:

manker
01-28-2005, 07:02 PM
no he just keeps it running.Ah, an honourable, often thankless, task in itself. Perhaps he will get a similar award next year.

I wonder if there is a way for the public to vote.

Busyman
01-28-2005, 07:06 PM
i heard the interweb was made by scientists at cern. but they did say he invented the www, but mebbe they dont know the difference
Tim did not invent the internet. To my knowledge he invented the www, HTML, HTTP protocol which basically is the "easy-to-use" part of the internet.

We have him to thank for the internet that we are familiar with but he did not lay the ground work.

We do have the US military or DARPA or ARPA whatever the fuck to thank for that.

Busyman
01-28-2005, 07:18 PM
this might help (http://www.hitmill.com/internet/web_history.asp)

Like I already said....thanks for link either way
;)

Biggles
01-28-2005, 08:37 PM
:ohmy:

This was better than the C5?

I am shocked.

j2k4
01-31-2005, 09:14 PM
I didn't know Al Gore was a Brit! :ohmy:

Biggles
01-31-2005, 09:25 PM
I didn't know Al Gore was a Brit! :ohmy:

:blink:

I have seen the "Al Gore invented" thing elsewhere. I just don't have the frame of reference that explains what clearly is a running joke in the US.

j2k4
01-31-2005, 09:33 PM
:blink:

I have seen the "Al Gore invented" thing elsewhere. I just don't have the frame of reference that explains what clearly is a running joke in the US.

Yes, it's true:

Al Gore was also known as the Running Joke, back in 2000.

He is loathe to lay proper claim to this, though.

Monkster
01-31-2005, 11:39 PM
Yes, it's true:

Al Gore was also known as the Running Joke, back in 2000.

He is loathe to lay proper claim to this, though.
:lol: :lol: oddly humorous :mellow:

Illuminati
02-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Tim did not invent the internet. To my knowledge he invented the www, HTML, HTTP protocol which basically is the "easy-to-use" part of the internet.

We have him to thank for the internet that we are familiar with but he did not lay the ground work.

We do have the US military or DARPA or ARPA whatever the fuck to thank for that.

Busy's pretty much explained it :) The first four nodes of ARPANET started the base of it, the WWW and similar protocols took it out of just the military and the universities and brought it to the public. :)

What's remarkable though (yet for some reason isn't noted as much :( ) is what he did with the protocols - In a decade where BT claimed owning the patent on hyperlinks, you couldn't really have blamed Tim if he decided to charge in some way for using it. He didn't - He provided the protocols for all to use and has defended against anyone trying otherwise, and continues at the W3C setting standards. If that doesn't seem much, if you remember the old dial-up per minute charges think about paying every time you visit a web site ;)

There's been very few people who have revolutionised the way we live the way the internet has - And Tim Berners-Lee deserves the award (although whether it's a worthwhile award or complete bollocks is open for debate ;))