PDA

View Full Version : When The Old People Die?

magnu103
01-28-2005, 09:37 PM
Firstly, and most importantly, my apologies to "old People". I mean no disrespect. Crucially, when is one classed as "old"? When in your life do you suddenly become "old"? Is there a day and a date when this occurs?

Anyway, my thanks to (>Zero Cool<) for the inspiration for these jottings, which continue something like this...

Back when I was a lad, a long time ago to some, seems like the other day to me... there were some types of shop here in Loughborough that no longer exist. Some examples include a local hardware shop, where you could buy nails by the pint, and shops that sold nothing but hats. There was a fishmonger, where I remember we used to get fresh cockles (as a treat apparently?) The chemists shops always had those yellow plastic lined windows, and pubs used to have a snug. These have all gone now. Why? Simply because they were no longer needed by the people of the day.

So, when all of todays "old people" die, what other shops and traditions will disappear and be condemned to the history books? Here's a couple to be going on with...

Butchers shops - You only ever generally see "old people" in butchers shops. And when the butchers shops have gone, we will never see sweetbreads, hearts, tripe and the like again.

Wool shops - Same as above except for the sweetbreads, hearts and tripe.

I will add more later, but now it's up to you to add yours...
:lookaroun

Snee
01-28-2005, 09:41 PM
Those blokes that stand around with tongs offering to pull yer teeth out?

Oh wait, that was the dark ages.

100%
01-28-2005, 09:44 PM
Pharmacies will become obsolete - since it will be illegal to be sick.

zapjb
01-28-2005, 09:48 PM
I believe you're referring to the time in my life when I can pinpoint when society as I know it started to crumble.
I know it exactly.
When there was no longer a produce man to take my produce & put it in a brown paper bag & mark how much it was in green crayon.
That was exactly the moment society started to crumble. :no:

magnu103
01-28-2005, 09:52 PM
Pharmacies die? Or even chemists to us lot in UK. Probably not. But our local Somerfields will close, because the only people who use it are the "old people". And there is a reason for this.

Many years ago, (here we go again...), there was only one supermarket in Loughborough. It was called Fine Fare. In time that changed its name, and eventually moved to a new location just around the corner. But, and importanly, those people back in the 60's, stayed loyal to Fine Fare, and it's reincarnations. People were loyal back then you know! But now, those people are "old", and when they die, Somerfields will die with them. I hate to think what will take it's place... a row of charity shops, how about a travel agent or two, or perhaps Loughborough University will buy it up and turn it into student accomodation. Oh gosh, I might have opened a big bag of worms now...

Biggles
01-28-2005, 09:57 PM
The town where I live still has butchers, fishmongers, and hardware stores with everything piled away in ancient drawers.

However the tobacconist has just closed - it had been there for a 150 years or something. I guess smoking is on its way out though.

What about cop shops? :shifty:

manker
01-28-2005, 10:19 PM
I hope the Spar won't go away :fear:

It is an interesting question tho' - I suppose that anything which is specific in nature is at risk, fish and chip shops for example, these could be replaced by an eaterie equivalent of a supermarket. Smaller, traditional, pubs could be phased out for bigger adult entertainment centres with crap lager (happening already). Post Offices are already metamorphising into supermarkets and will likely be gone in a few decades.

:(

Mr. Mulder
01-28-2005, 11:32 PM
mc donalds will be gone and replaced with a shady man in an ally at night offering to sell you his wine gums before the giant machines that inslave us all start thier morning hunt

Cheese
01-28-2005, 11:39 PM
mc donalds will be gone and replaced with a shady man in an ally at night offering to sell you his wine gums before the giant machines that inslave us all start thier morning hunt

On the plus side, with all these old people dying there will be no shortage of Soylent Green.

magnu103
01-29-2005, 09:10 AM
What is Soylent Green?

bigboab
01-29-2005, 09:17 AM
Soylent Green was a movie about turning people into food. :ph34r:

When old people die they will just be replaced by the next generation of old people. YOU! :lol: :lol:

magnu103
01-29-2005, 09:26 AM
But you fail to answer the question... when exactly does one become old?

bigboab
01-29-2005, 09:32 AM

I suppose when most people are younger than you. Which means I am old, in my 66th year. :)

magnu103
01-29-2005, 09:42 AM
Yes, you have 19 years on me, but do YOU class yourself as old yet? I reckon you don't...

Cheese
01-29-2005, 11:54 AM

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004VVNB.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Snee
01-29-2005, 12:46 PM

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004VVNB.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Great movie, as is soylent green :01:

I reckon we won't get anything like it in the future, hell, we don't today. :dry:

I reached this conclusion as I was watching Zardoz at three o'clock or so, this morning.

'tis sad, reely. :(

Cheese
01-29-2005, 12:49 PM
Great movie, as is soylent green :01:

I reckon we won't get anything like it in the future, hell, we don't today. :dry:

I reached this conclusion as I was watching Zardoz at three o'clock or so, this morning.

'tis sad, reely. :(

You seem upset that we are not all being killed off at 30 and being made into processed food...

Or are you talking 'bout the quality of movies these days?

Whilst I was doing research for my previous post I noticed they are remaking Logan's Run (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402344/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxzZz0xfHR0PW9ufHBuPTB8cT1sb2dhbidzIHJ1bnxteD0yMHxsbT0yMDB8aHRtbD0xfG5tPW9u;fc=2;ft=21;fm=1), by the looks of it they are being more faithful to the original book this time. People get killed when they reach 21 not 30.... :ph34r:

Snee
01-29-2005, 12:55 PM
Errm, the latter.

Also, I think MTV did a version of that already, called "dead at 21". It may well have been among the worst ten POS tv-series I've ever seen an episode of. But then it must have been veeeery loosely based on the original, if it was.

If they make a new one, it'll prolly be smothered in special effects and a few plot enhancements (ie gratuitous secks, shallow love stuff, moviestars that do naught good but looking pretty, etc.), as is customary these days, when movies are made in hollywood.

Cheese
01-29-2005, 01:02 PM
Errm, the latter.

Also, I think MTV did a version of that already, called "dead at 21". It may well have been among the worst ten POS tv-series I've ever seen an episode of. But then it must have been veeeery loosely based on the original, if it was.

If they make a new one, it'll prolly be smothered in special effects and a few plot enhancements (ie gratuitous secks, shallow love stuff, moviestars that do naught good but looking pretty, etc.), as is customary these days, when movies are made in hollywood.

This is true.

It's sad to think that people will watch Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes (for example) and never watch the original classic. Burton's version was so bad I died a little inside when I watched it. :(

Snee
01-29-2005, 01:12 PM
:blushing: I sort of liked that one.

But then I only saw it as sort of an appendix to the real movie.
It'll be a real shame if people only see that one. :angry:

Even worse regarding the original is that they made a bunch of sequels and even a tv series that got gradually worse, I'll never quite understand why.
The story had been :molested: long before Burton. :dry:

Cheese
01-29-2005, 01:15 PM
:blushing: I sort of liked that one.

But then I only saw it as sort of an appendix to the real movie.
It'll be a real shame if people only see that one. :angry:

Even worse regarding the original is that they made a bunch of sequels and even a tv series that got gradually worse, I'll never quite understand why.
The story had been :molested: long before Burton. :dry:

I kind of liked the sequels... :blushing:

Never really watched the TV series though. My fave sequel was the one where Charlton Heston blows up the entire world, I just love it when a movie ends on a downer like that (and you can't get more down than total world destruction).

Snee
01-29-2005, 01:23 PM
Good point, world annihilation is a good way to end a story.

'tho it still annoys me how the masks, scenery and makeup got cheaper and cheaper near the end.
In the last movies every chimp, every gorilla and every orangutan 'cept the ones that had a lot of screen time, looked the same, and none of them looked remotely as good as even the extras in the first movie, in their cheap ill-fitting masks.
I guess no one wanted to spend much money on the last movies, while a lot of people were still more than happy to milk it for all it was worth. :dry: That, they haven't stopped doing today, nice to see there's some tradition left, eh.

Cheese
01-29-2005, 01:40 PM
I have a movie idea.

Planet of the Chavs

"A world where Chavs involved from humans?"

"Get your burberry paws off me, you damned robbin' chav."

etc...

Snee
01-29-2005, 01:44 PM
I have a movie idea.

Planet of the Chavs

"A world where Chavs involved from humans?"