PDA

View Full Version : Hardware DVD Recordable Formats

{I}{K}{E}
01-29-2005, 03:50 PM
DVD-R
DVD-R is the most compatible of the formats. This format will play in about 90% of DVD Players, DVD-Roms etc. It was the first recordable format out. This format supports up to 4.37GB of data on a disk. You can also get this disc double sided and expand its space to 8.75GB of data. This disc can be written on once and only once. Basically if it screws up, you get a nice, shiny coaster.

DVD-RW
This format is the same as DVD-R but can be rewritten several times. This format is compatible with about 80% of DVD Players, drives, etc.

DVD+R
DVD+R is very similar to DVD-R but supports a few more features, thus sacrificing compatibility. It supports lossless linking and both CAV and CLV writing. Newbies don't worry about these features ;). This format is compatible on about 80% of DVD Players, drives, etc. This disc can be written on once and only once. Basically if it screws up, you get a nice, shiny coaster. Supports the same amount of data DVD-R does. 4.37GB and 8.75 GB Double Sided

DVD+RW
DVD+RW is the same as DVD+R but can be written on more several times. It is compatible with about 70% of DVD Players, drives, etc.

DVD+R Dual-Layer
DVD+R is the same as DVD+R but supports 7.95GB on one disc. This disc achieves this by having two separate recordable layers. This disc is the most expensive of the formats. This disc is also available in double sided format supporting up to 15.9GB of data. It is compatible in about 75% of DVD Players, drives, etc.

DVD-RAM
DVD-RAM is the least supported format. Many DVD Burners do not support this. DVD-RAM usually comes in a cartridge and will not fit in most DVD-ROM drive, Player, etc. It is compatible with about 20% of DVD Players. To my knowledge, no DVD-ROM drives support this format.Think of this format as a slow hard drive. This format is not recommended.

Which is Right for Me?
Okay so now you know about all the formats but which is right for you? Well that is up to your DVD-Player. It is best to buy 1 or 2 of each format and try them out. Sometimes a DVD-Player will read DVD+R but not DVD-R. Same goes for other formats. Some DVD-Players will not read any recordable format and that just is no fun now is it.

Speeds
There are several speeds for discs. 2.4x, 4x, 8x, 16x. What do I get?
Well you should get the same speed as your DVD Burner supports. If you get slower than what it supports do note try to burn with a higher speed.

Cheap Media
When CD-Writers came out blank discs were about $5 each. But then cheap $2 blanks came out and people decided to save money and buy those. Big mistake, back then. Those people ended up with alot of coasters and ended up losing money. Now times have changed, you can buy any brand blank CD discs and you will probably get a quality burn. Well that old expensive versus cheap media has started all over again, this time for Recordable DVD media. Do not buy cheap no name DVD Recordable discs. Stick with known brands.
I recommend:

-- TDK
-- Kodak
-- Verbatim
-- Ritek
-- Princo

Definitions
Double Sided: Both sides of the disc have a recordable surface.
Coaster: An object you use to place cups on or beverages on to.
Dual-Layer: A disc with two recordable layers. Almost doubling the discs capacity.
Sizes: The disc size may say 4.7GB on the Label but in fact is 4.37GB.

Original posted @ Neowin.net

Peerzy
01-29-2005, 03:58 PM
Nice guide, although where did you get the 90%, 80% and so on figures for, as im sure that was just a guess and not true.

{I}{K}{E}
01-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Nice guide, although where did you get the 90%, 80% and so on figures for, as im sure that was just a guess and not true.

I didnt wrote this guide. I copied the most usefull stuff and created a thread here.

the numbers are just to show that not all DVD players support that format.

Peerzy
01-29-2005, 04:08 PM
For a cheap decent brand i susgest;

Infiniti Samuria
http://image.ebuyer.com/UK/P0081907_C0000025_P0000000.jpg
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=4950939890&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=81907

They play on all my dvd players (par my 3 year old one) and play on my Xbox that has the bad Thompson drive that only reads a few different types of media. I strongly susgest you buy some. I recently brought 100.

Formula1
01-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Hey IKE , can you please add the definition of DVD+R 9 <---- , please ?

{I}{K}{E}
01-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Hey IKE , can you please add the definition of DVD+R 9 <---- , please ?

that is DVD+R Dual-Layer ;)

Formula1
01-29-2005, 09:17 PM
Oh it is ? Alright :blushing:

SaYiaN
02-01-2005, 04:38 AM
ah i knew dvd-r was more compatible than dvd+r, damn those bastards @ the little computer store on the corner... trying to jipp me, by paying $10.00 more for dvd+r's.. even when i asked if it was compatible w/ my 5 yr old dvd player..

clearlight
07-05-2005, 09:34 PM
great guide , thanks!

anyone know how to find out what speed your dvd burner supports?

{I}{K}{E}
07-05-2005, 10:24 PM
great guide , thanks!

anyone know how to find out what speed your dvd burner supports?

if you know what brand/type your burner is you can find it with google ;)

colonblow87
07-06-2005, 01:03 AM
There is an advantage to using DVD+ disks in that you can in most cases change the bitsetting to DVD ROM. This change increases the likelihood that older set-top DVD players and game counsels can read your burned disk. A number of burner manufacturers supply a utility to change the bitsetting or "booktype" to that of a DVD ROM. There is a much better explanation of this tweak at CD Freaks.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/150

clearlight
07-06-2005, 03:59 AM
thanks , much appreciate!

ironkoala
07-22-2005, 06:42 PM
highly recommend verbatim

check out www.supermediastore.com for media

DrSteve
04-18-2006, 11:14 PM
Will my DVD burner burn dual layer DVD's or do I need a "special" DVD burner.

I guess I presumed that the media was the rate limiting step in the amount of data on a DVD, but someone told me that most DVD burners will not burn a dual layer DVD. Is this correct? (I am soooo depressed)

Thanks

djlove
08-27-2006, 04:48 PM
thax a lot for telling me

kurse
12-28-2006, 06:23 AM
MAXWELL sells Quality DVDr's, works everytime flawlessly.

gamer4eva
12-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Will my DVD burner burn dual layer DVD's or do I need a "special" DVD burner.

I guess I presumed that the media was the rate limiting step in the amount of data on a DVD, but someone told me that most DVD burners will not burn a dual layer DVD. Is this correct? (I am soooo depressed)

Thanks

You will need a dual layer writer in order to copy dual layer disks....and its not exactly a special DVD burner. Most DVD burners now come with dual layer compatibility.:cool:

0riGiNaLBoX
05-24-2008, 07:39 PM
thanks a lot

igorjl
08-16-2008, 01:26 AM
Thanks for that
great guide