PDA

View Full Version : I got a DMCA letter

Hall of Pain
01-30-2005, 01:10 AM
Did anyone else get this? Does this mean i'm being sued or is it like a warning or something?

It said that i was sharing Jackass The Movie, and it said that I should stop.....I'm really scared.

Peerzy
01-30-2005, 01:36 AM
Its a warning, saying stop or we will do nothing. You are not being sued. Just lay low for a few months, and then make sure you use Peerguardian and anything you can to block companies seeing your traffic and keep the ammount you download low for a few more months. Most people get these and never hear from anyone again and still continue to download.

Hall of Pain
01-30-2005, 01:47 AM
Its a warning, saying stop or we will do nothing. You are not being sued. Just lay low for a few months, and then make sure you use Peerguardian and anything you can to block companies seeing your traffic and keep the ammount you download low for a few more months. Most people get these and never hear from anyone again and still continue to download.

I called my ISP, and the guy from cox was saying same thing you did, he said if he got it he would laugh and frame it on the wall. He said a lot of people get these....

I mean....I have the movie on DVD at home....

btw, if i am being sued how can i know?

RealitY
01-30-2005, 01:50 AM
Your ISP would first have to give out your information and it dosent sound like they did does it...

Peerzy
01-30-2005, 01:50 AM
I called my ISP, and the guy from cox was saying same thing you did, he said if he got it he would laugh and frame it on the wall. He said a lot of people get these....

The RIAA/MPAA will email you or send a letter to your house saying that Warner Bro's is sueing you under the piracy act of 1996 parts XX-XX (Replace XX with the downloading parts) You will be contacted neared the court dates on more infomation. We advise you to contact your loyer asap.

Hall of Pain
01-30-2005, 02:09 AM
The RIAA/MPAA will email you or send a letter to your house saying that Warner Bro's is sueing you under the piracy act of 1996 parts XX-XX (Replace XX with the downloading parts) You will be contacted neared the court dates on more infomation. We advise you to contact your loyer asap.

Do I get it like real fast.....or does it take a while?

Busyman
01-30-2005, 02:21 AM
I got 3 letters for various sharings and I got a voice mail message for another.

Nothing ever happened.

HCT
01-30-2005, 03:39 AM
dont worry its just to scare you and it looks like it working
just do what peerzy said

worldpease
01-30-2005, 04:23 AM
Damn, It sounds so exiting.
like when the police stoped me for passing a stop sign,
-yea right, whatever- I said. lol.

Peerzy
01-30-2005, 01:30 PM
Do I get it like real fast.....or does it take a while?

You would have got it insted of the letter you got. There are two letters;

1)Stop what you are doing
2)We are sueing your ass

You got the first one.

johnboy27
01-30-2005, 01:41 PM

If you own a real copy of the movie then there is nothing they can do.You just say you downloaded it for a backup.

E-squirrel
01-30-2005, 03:00 PM
damnit, I wish filesharing was safe

Hall of Pain
01-30-2005, 07:25 PM
If you own a real copy of the movie then there is nothing they can do.You just say you downloaded it for a backup.

I shared it because bittorrent makes you share

.......so there are two letters? Damn

BTW, I don't check my email that often and I received this 2 weeks ago, and I was downloading after they sent me that until I found out I got it. It was a bad copy of the movie too.

How did that guy receive 3 of them, if the second means that you're getting sued.

And, how much will I have to pay if I get sued for one bad copy of a movie?

I read an article about these DMCA letters and it says that I was cought by a robot, and using that COX will never give out my information, so I guess I'm safe.......but I bet they will be watching me now.

brotherdoobie
01-30-2005, 08:22 PM
I shared it because bittorrent makes you share

.......so there are two letters? Damn

BTW, I don't check my email that often and I received this 2 weeks ago, and I was downloading after they sent me that until I found out I got it. It was a bad copy of the movie too.

How did that guy receive 3 of them, if the second means that you're getting sued.

And, how much will I have to pay if I get sued for one bad copy of a movie?

I read an article about these DMCA letters and it says that I was cought by a robot, and using that COX will never give out my information, so I guess I'm safe.......but I bet they will be watching me now.

It's quite possible...if not probable. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
You have been given sound advice by Peerzy,Realitiy and others listen to it.

Stiff upper lip! :01:

Peace bd

Flametongue
01-30-2005, 09:42 PM
Does that mean you get these letters if you share through bittorrent or kazza. Wot if you just download rarely like once or twice a week and they are old files like old songs and movies old ones. Does this apply. Also will it apply if you download tv programs that haven't aired in a particular country but dont share it.

Hall of Pain
01-31-2005, 01:35 AM
Does that mean you get these letters if you share through bittorrent or kazza. Wot if you just download rarely like once or twice a week and they are old files like old songs and movies old ones. Does this apply. Also will it apply if you download tv programs that haven't aired in a particular country but dont share it.

It doesn't matter, if you share you get caught, thats it. Old files too.

Virtualbody1234
01-31-2005, 02:05 AM
Why are you sharing a bad copy of the movie?

Hall of Pain
01-31-2005, 02:44 AM
Why are you sharing a bad copy of the movie?

Hmmm, I had no idea that it was bad....and Bittorrent forces you to share.

lee551
01-31-2005, 02:48 AM
if you mean you were sharing while you downloaded yes. but once its done you can stop & remove the torrent. if you found it was bad once you finished, you should have stopped & deleted it.

Hall of Pain
01-31-2005, 03:00 AM
if you mean you were sharing while you downloaded yes. but once its done you can stop & remove the torrent. if you found it was bad once you finished, you should have stopped & deleted it.

I wasn't there. BTW, I heard somewhere that you need to share as much as you downloaded or bittorrent will go slow for you.

Hanz™
01-31-2005, 03:49 PM
I wasn't there. BTW, I heard somewhere that you need to share as much as you downloaded or bittorrent will go slow for you.
Haha... Thats what all the guys say here in order that you support the community and do not leech, however it is truie to a certain extent some trackers are very prejudice about people with low share ratio's.
And some people will choose to not share with people who have a ratio below a certain ammount.

Peerzy
01-31-2005, 03:57 PM
Basically if you own a legal copy of the movie its alright for you to download, but the fact that you were uploading at the same time means you were also giving the file out to people who didn't own a legal copy.

I can say 99.9% you have nothing to worry about, if you are still shitting yourself i susgest your format your hard drive and put a clean install of Windows on and buy a copy of the movie you pirated (or pre order a copy if its not out on dvd yet) that way you can legally say you were downloading a backup.

Flametongue
01-31-2005, 08:13 PM
wot if you download and thats it. you dont share and then later on delete it off your comp?

Peerzy
01-31-2005, 08:19 PM
wot if you download and thats it. you dont share and then later on delete it off your comp?

There are ways to recover deleted files or at least parts of them. If your using Bittorent chances are you willupload at lewast 1kb. Infact its nearly impossible unless there is only seeds and no other peers. As soon as you upload 1kb you are breaking the law and are supplying the release illigally to other people.

darkmatter
01-31-2005, 09:28 PM
right, burn all copyrighted stuff on to dvdrs and bury them, then reformat your hardrive.

nothing to worry about.

I also recomend peerguardian.

Nardz
02-04-2005, 03:35 AM
i got two of those letters about a year ago then i started useing pear gaurdian i havent seen one since.

Hall of Pain
02-04-2005, 10:31 PM
what does peer guardian do exactly?

darkmatter
02-04-2005, 10:40 PM
blocks all IP's in the blocklist from getting into your PC

(I think)

zeustke165
02-04-2005, 10:42 PM
what does peer guardian do exactly?

Peer guardian is an IP blocker, using ip block lists it blocks any ip on those lists, using programs like blocklist manager you can download a list that has every IP believed to have anything to do with MPAA, RIAA, police, FBI... the list goes on...

cabler30
03-03-2006, 05:46 PM
how do i block them from seeing what i got on my pc

Mïcrösöül°V³
03-03-2006, 05:54 PM
how do i block them from seeing what i got on my pc
noone can see whats on your pc unless they hack into it, which is also illegal. I got one of those letters a year ago, and I havent slowed downloading at all :lol: I have it pinned to my wall. I admit it is a little unsettling to get one, but screw it.

Tempestv
03-04-2006, 08:44 AM
I got a call from my ISP because the RIAA of software (forget what it's called) found an autocad ISO in my limewire shared folder. big claim that they could sue me and all, all a joke considering that the cd has a demo option (it was an image of the disk that you get free if you ask autodesk for a evaluation cd) anyways, since my computer died soon after, I was kinda forced to lie low for a while, but if it had not, it wouldn't have slowed me down.

cabler30
03-04-2006, 11:51 PM
i think since i recently had instaled a studio warez for rewards and stuff that how they found the files but before that i wasnt caught so i aint gonna download or try not to down load studio warez anymore to keep things undercover lol

divion
03-28-2006, 09:23 PM
Hi to ya all.
Im a torrent site owner.
Can anyone sue me and if so how he can do that.
I live in greece and i don't upload/seed anything from the admin account.
any help is appriciated...

erRor67
03-28-2006, 11:28 PM
if you have copyrighted material then yeah...

Some say that torrents are not copyrighted material but the mpaa/riaa doesnt give a shit.. They will sue you anyways and hope that u lose in court. Although, living in greece, I dont think they can do much. Probably scare your web hosting service to terminate your account or something.

j0hn
03-29-2006, 07:21 AM
if ur just a torrent indexing site, then its debatable
if u host the .torrent files, then yes, chances are u can be sued
it depends on the laws on the country where the server is hosted
im not sure on the greek law concerning file sharing/piracy though