View Full Version : How about a "Lite" Skin?

zedaxax
01-31-2005, 12:47 PM
It should be very easy to make a "lite" skin for this forum, for faster loading etc
simply by removing all the "extras" like bottomcatbg.gif,footertbg.gif, etc all the extra "decoration .gifs" to make a faster and lighter skin and simply show the Core VB.
It could be nice to have as an option.
yes?
no?
:huh:
http://img163.exs.cx/img163/5042/litep1yw.jpg

manker
01-31-2005, 12:53 PM
I'ver adblocked the horrible green things and the icons I don't like, so I have a lite skin, of sorts.

That's mainly for aesthetics tho' as the board runs pretty quickly for me in any case.

zedaxax
01-31-2005, 12:59 PM
ok i just did it by inserting "chromo_kt8c/cats/" and "butbarbg.gif" into Adblock.
just thought a light version could be optional (without the use of adblock)

Samurai
01-31-2005, 01:15 PM
with internet speeds growing faster every day, is there any point? the difference will be marginal in any case.

{I}{K}{E}
01-31-2005, 01:28 PM
I had 256 connection before today and using the default skin I never had any problems with the load time

tesco
01-31-2005, 01:33 PM
ya i never have any problems with load times either.

but still a good idea for those who hate the fancy graphics, and those with 56k.

zedaxax
01-31-2005, 01:55 PM
freedom of "choice" that is all :bush.gif:
i just thought it would be so super easy to do - copy any present skin you already have - name it Lite - delete contents of "cats" and any other .gif enhancements
and
Voila
"Fst Lite"
I thought the world loved to "diet"?

BawA
01-31-2005, 01:59 PM
the board is fast enough for me, it doesnt take 1 sec for me to jump over the forums(using FireFox), unless u got 56K connection that u want a lite skin.

Snee
01-31-2005, 04:19 PM
I think it's a good thing to do, occasionally I've accessed the board from 56k, as well as via cellphone, and it's been slow as feck.

I'm all for a lite skin.

BawA
01-31-2005, 04:27 PM
I think it's a good thing to do, occasionally I've accessed the board from 56k, as well as via cellphone, and it's been slow as feck.

I'm all for a lite skin.
good point but arnet today's cellphones supposed to be connected via broadband connections, thats what my mobiles says(nokia 9500 Communicator). i know it depends on line quality but where i live the HOTSPOTS r DSL.
anyway am al the way with the idea, why Not!!!

Snee
01-31-2005, 05:07 PM
Mine has gprs and all that, 'tis just that I'm not paying the monthly fee needed to keep it active as I don't surf through the phone all that much.

So I'm usually satisfied with the low rate ISDN or whatever it is I have access to without paying the monthly fee. I usually only use google or something, anyway, but on the occasions I have tried this board, it has been a hassle to view.

4play
01-31-2005, 05:20 PM
I thought all the images for the board where only downloaded the once and after that they are picked up out of your computers cache.

seems silly to cut out some of images if they will only load slowly the once.

uNz[i]
01-31-2005, 05:43 PM
Why say dialup users need a lite skin? :huh:

Dialup speed doesn't enter into it. Forum images are quick loading anyway...
...even if they are as ugly as feck. :P

The only pics that can be slow are some member's sigs... I've also noticed most pics hosted by Photo Bucket are definitely sluggish.

tesco
01-31-2005, 05:46 PM
good point but arnet today's cellphones supposed to be connected via broadband connections, thats what my mobiles says(nokia 9500 Communicator). i know it depends on line quality but where i live the HOTSPOTS r DSL.
anyway am al the way with the idea, why Not!!!
Off topic but can you plug the cellphone into a laptop and use the dsl on it wherever u go?

Snee
01-31-2005, 07:22 PM
I thought all the images for the board where only downloaded the once and after that they are picked up out of your computers cache.

seems silly to cut out some of images if they will only load slowly the once.
They get cached sure enough, but that first loadup is a bastard, and the caching isn't exactly brilliant on teh cell, either, not that much space, see.

@rossco: I think I can use my bluetooth connection to do that, maybe, if the laptop supports it.

It should be no prob with bawa's phone anyway. Not sure if the speeds would be all that great tho'.

@unzi: try it.

natedogg
01-31-2005, 11:52 PM
im for a lite skin, i have a slow compurter and its slow as hell

BawA
02-01-2005, 02:44 AM
Off topic but can you plug the cellphone into a laptop and use the dsl on it wherever u go?

yes, the manual says i can use nokia 9500 just like a broadband modem.