PDA

View Full Version : Humor & Truth

zedaxax
01-31-2005, 04:09 PM
I just found this Joke in funny stuff posted by baccyman,
i thought this would appeal to those in the drawing room.

The reason why jokes are funny is because they are so embarresingly close to the truth, and painfully so.

I once saw a documentary about "why people laugh", it came down to that people only laugh when it embarres's someone else.(works best in groups)
sad but true, hence we have all the racist, stigmatic humor-aka blone, handicapped,fart,lawyers,politiciansetc etc.

a joke permits us to insult?

On a visit to asia, i noticed if you fall in public, make a mistake etc the people watching will laugh outloud
this is not the same way in europe.
but i found asias method more "relaxing", but weird (since im not used to it)(but atleast its more honest)?

Here is the above mentioned "joke"

How Government Works
Once upon a time the government had a vast scrap yard in the middle of a desert. Congress said, "someone may steal from it at night." So they created a night watchman position and hired a person for the job.

Then Congress said, "How does the watchman do his job without instruction?" So they created a planning department and hired two people, one person to write the instructions, and one person to do time studies.

Then Congress said, "How will we know the night watchman is doing the tasks correctly?" So they created a Quality Control department and hired two people. One to do the studies and one to write the reports.

Then Congress said, "How are these people going to get paid?" So they created the following positions, a time keeper, and a payroll officer, then hired two people.

Then Congress said, "Who will be accountable for all of these people?" So they created an administrative section and hired three people, an Administrative Officer, Assistant Administrative Officer, and a Legal Secretary.

Then Congress said, "We have had this command in operation for one year and we are $18,000 over budget, we must cutback overall cost."

So they laid off
the night watchman.

dwightfry
01-31-2005, 04:30 PM
truth indeed.

:)

bigboab
01-31-2005, 04:54 PM
:lol: :lol: I cant see many civil servants laughing at that. :lol: :lol: They would say it is the only possible solution because the night watchman was not producing anything. :lol:

hobbes
01-31-2005, 05:01 PM
I am assuming that the nightwatchman was a smoker. It's obvious.

Comedy is also how we deal with fear.

But given what you have said, why is this funny:

"I came home from work yesterday to discover that all of my furniture had been stolen and replaced with an exact replica.

I woke my roommate and told him what had happened.

He said, "Do I know you?"

Maybe this should not make me laugh, but it does.

zedaxax
01-31-2005, 05:21 PM
"I came home from work yesterday to discover that all of my furniture had been stolen and replaced with an exact replica.

Brilliant example - existential, who am i etc..
but yet again it is humoristic for the "viewer"
not for the one actually experiencing the horror
in "after thought" is all failure is funny?
lets hope so
(lets not get political here)

Busyman
01-31-2005, 05:42 PM

Comedian Steven Wright

(slightly altered)

:ermm:

vidcc
01-31-2005, 07:36 PM
Comedian Steven Wright

(slightly altered)

Is he the guy that bought the decaffeinated coffee table and couldn't tell the difference ?

hobbes
01-31-2005, 10:41 PM
Comedian Steven Wright

(slightly altered)

That is right, Steven Wright.
I'll give you a quarter of a point for almost an effort or something. :dry:

Busyman
01-31-2005, 10:54 PM
That is right, Steven Wright.
I'll give you a quarter of a point for almost an effort or something. :dry:
Actually if I was correct, I get a whole point and even.

Come to think of it, you can keep it. I don't need it. :dry:

hobbes
02-02-2005, 03:08 AM
What about a tough rapper saying,

"Yo, yo man, I be there in a second, I'm just trying to get my herbal tea on".

Sometimes humor is just juxtaposition.

Tough guy, gentle herbal remedy.

Busyman
02-02-2005, 04:28 AM
What about a tough rapper saying,

Sometimes humor is just juxtaposition.

Tough guy, gentle herbal remedy.

It comes off better like this....

Slow your roll mothafucka. I'm tryin' to get my herbal tea on.

Yo, yo man doesn't sound tough enough.

It's funny how humor gets analyzed with the juxt of positions and what not. :ermm:

dwightfry
02-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Humor comes down to three things

Stereotypes, unexpected outcomes, and play on words. Or any combination of them.

This is all three. The man not only breaks away from his stereotype, but goes to something you would never expect, at the same time he says it in his same stereotypical lingo which would fall under play on words.

Busyman
02-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Humor comes down to three things

Stereotypes, unexpected outcomes, and play on words. Or any combination of them.

This is all three. The man not only breaks away from his stereotype, but goes to something you would never expect, at the same time he says it in his same stereotypical lingo which would fall under play on words.
It's amazing how the funny folks are just that without all the analyzation. :ermm: