PDA

View Full Version : Uk internet to get 20X fast within the near future...

Peerzy
01-31-2005, 09:42 PM
CABLE operator NTL is to offer a broadband service 20 times faster than anything available in the UK today.

Keith Monserrat, NTL's director of policy, said the company's fibre-based network is capable of delivering internet speeds many times faster than BT's older copper-wire network.

"Fibre can carry up to one gigabit," he said. "It will be relatively straightforward for NTL to provide speeds of at least 100 megabytes per second across its entire network. By contrast, BT's planned 21st Century network will not be able to deliver speeds above 10 megabytes."

Although NTL will not reveal the timing of the launch of its 100-megabyte service, Monserrat said NTL customers could expect to be offered the service "in the not too distant future".

NTL hopes to establish a market lead over other UK telecoms operators. Other UKinternet service providers (ISPs) dispute the need for broadband services much faster than eight megabytes. But according to NTL, ISPs are rolling out 28 megabyte services in France and 20 megabytes services in The Netherlands.

According to Monserrat, the move to bandwidth-hungry services based around video on demand requires faster speeds.

The convergence of home entertainment and computing in internet TV is seen by NTLas inevitable and will involve the streaming of movies and other services on to devices that will resemble TVs but have the storage capacity of powerful PCs.

Speeds are enough to provide basic video on demand now, but as well as watching downloaded videos, consumers may want to buy or hire several movies at a time and use interactive video services.

Last September, NTL had 1.1m broadband customers, offered speeds of one to three megabytes, and BT had 960,000.

Source (http://thebusinessonline.com/modules/news/view.php?id=32566&s=3)

I love my ISP :D

Livy
01-31-2005, 09:46 PM
ntl doesnt have a great coverage thought, the only place in scotland you can get ntl is glasgow as far as i know.

Peerzy
01-31-2005, 09:50 PM
It covers alot of England though, and as the report says it has 0.2 million more broadband users than BT.

Voetsek
01-31-2005, 09:51 PM
No cable here and never will be

Illuminati
02-01-2005, 01:13 PM
There's NTL digital services available in the center of Dundee :D

Looks like I already know who I'll be connecting with next year :D Only problem is we don't know the price :(

darkmatter
02-01-2005, 04:45 PM
or the caps

Peerzy
02-01-2005, 04:47 PM
There's NTL digital services available in the center of Dundee :D

Looks like I already know who I'll be connecting with next year :D Only problem is we don't know the price :(

NTl would keep prices down so that they do not lose existing customers, expect a fast 10mbit to be like £40 or so.

DanB
02-01-2005, 05:03 PM
Cool, thats who I was going to sign up to when I move :01:

Peerzy
02-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Cool, thats who I was going to sign up to when I move :01:

Im already with them, no need for me to phone them up and fight with the customer service to get me signed up :P

DanB
02-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Im already with them, no need for me to phone them up and fight with the customer service to get me signed up :P

Fight to let you sign up?? :huh:

Peerzy
02-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Fight to let you sign up?? :huh:

Yeah, talking to anyone at the end of their hotline is like a life or death struggle. The customer service is the worse i have ever seen.

DanB
02-01-2005, 05:23 PM
:lol: thats not good.

You'd thought they would be quite keen to get your money ... it isn't outsourced to India or Outer Mongolia is it?

Peerzy
02-01-2005, 05:51 PM
One of them asked me what a router was when i had to tell them what a network was :gawddammit:

tesco
02-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Why do countries like France have such fast interent and we still don't have that here? :blink:

anyway, sounds good, too bad i'm not in the UK. Maybe speeds will start going up here in Canada too.

Cheese
02-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Hopefully this will mean Blueyonder will continue to improve their speeds. Can't get NTL down here atm, but my 4mb speed is pretty fast I can't see me needing much more...

Edit: An improved upload would be really nice though... :dry:

TheDave
02-02-2005, 01:23 AM
Hopefully this will mean Blueyonder will continue to improve their speeds. Can't get NTL down here atm, but my 4mb speed is pretty fast I can't see me needing much more...

Edit: An improved upload would be really nice though... :dry:
in five years we'll all have 40000/256 :angry: