PDA

View Full Version : Monitor/video card digital out

healimonster
02-03-2005, 02:42 AM
pardon the ignorance, this is the first time I have delt with this type of cord and have no idea what it is called.

Ok so i bought a new flat screen and it came with two cables, one the traditional varioty, and other one more pins or holes and I am guessing it is some form of digital cable.

when I built my new pc it didnt work at all, and I assumed probabliy correctly that it was because my video card had no drivers.

Now with drivers, it is all sketchy, flashes and squirls.

normal cable works fine.

what am I doing wrong.

lynx
02-03-2005, 02:50 AM
You are right about it being a digital interface. I've never used one myself, so I can't give you any other help.

But I can say for certain that you will be asked which card you've got and which monitor. You've got a better chance of a successful reply if you post that info.

Mr. Elmo
02-03-2005, 02:54 AM
wait, the other cables has more pins/holes and you plugged it into your card anyways :lol: :lol:

but is there a white looking port on your video card? its almost the same as the regular one, except its white

backlash
02-03-2005, 03:02 AM
yeah, you can't use the white cable unless your video card supports digital output. Mine does and I use it...works fine. Haven't really seen a difference either way, though.

tesco
02-03-2005, 03:51 AM
DVI is what it's called...probably.
The connectors should look like this...
http://www.monitor.co.at/ausgaben/2001_04/dvi.jpg

correct?

healimonster
02-03-2005, 05:32 AM
yes the connector does look like that. I would assume that if the video card has an out featuring that connector it would support it, but stranger things have happened.

The vid card is a nvidia 5600.

But if the differnce in quality is not that noticable, I will forget about it.

thanks

harrycary
02-04-2005, 12:03 AM
Check your display properties. You should be able to change a setting that tells your video card which output to use.