PDA

View Full Version : spyware in Messenger?

worldpease
02-04-2005, 03:34 AM
Ok, since I re-installed Widows XP like a week ago, I obviusly did a new instalation on Messenger 7 (BETA), and I've been getting this little windows that Pop like very 10 minutes and say something of "a spyware has been detected on your PC" or " Your Com. is infected", and asks for me to clik accept, wich I never do.
And its getting kinda anoying, specialy when Im playing a game, do you have any idea what might be causing this, cus I've run SpyBoot and the new MicrosoftAntySpyare, and still it keeps poping!.
...popping! that sounds funny :lol: .

tesco
02-04-2005, 04:00 AM
is it an internet explorer window or ones that say messenger service on the top?
If it's the messenger service one then go: Start>Run>type 'services.msc'>find 'messenger 'and double click it>set 'Startup Type' to 'Disabled' and click the 'Stop' button.

This also shows that you have no firewall protection...you should get some form of a firewall. ;) (a Router, a thirdparty app, or even the windows firewall is better than nothing ;) )

worldpease
02-04-2005, 04:03 AM
Yes rossco, it says "messenger service", in a grey little box, not an explorer window...
Sorry if I forgot to mention it.

tesco
02-04-2005, 04:04 AM
Alright then do what I said above ^. :)

Also here is more info on firewalls and other security stuff: http://tvg.pinecurtain.net/index.php?article=security#fw

worldpease
02-04-2005, 06:08 AM
Rossco, thanks man, I did that and Ithink I should work!...

But about firewall, won't it obstruct my bittorrent download/uploads?

tesco
02-04-2005, 04:20 PM
you need to open ports in the firewall/router/whatever u get to let bittorrent through then it runs as if nothing is there. :)