PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous restarts

true_neo
02-05-2005, 01:00 PM
Ok, just recently I got a complete makeover for my box.
The new specs:
Motherboard: Intel Culver City D925XCV Socket775
CPU: Intel Pentium 4E, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) 1 MB L2 Cache, Prescott
RAM: 4x Crucial DDR-2 512 MB CL3 SDRAM
Graphics: nVIDIA GeForce 6800 PCI-E (256 MB)
Storage: 2x Maxtor 6B300S0 (300 GB, 7200 RPM, Serial-ATA/150)
Sound: Realtek HD Audio rear output
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 710v
Resolution: 1280x1024

But there was some issues. The computer would sometimes lag as hell, then screen went black, a tick sound was heard, and it restarted.
I updated all drivers I could find, yet it still does it. Yesterday it even restarted twice within 10-15 mins, which is highly annoying.
:helpsmili

Snee
02-05-2005, 01:32 PM
Kontrollpanelen->System->Avancerat->egenskaper för omstart(inställningar)*

Bocka av starta om automatiskt.

Och posta felmeddelandet du får nästa gång.

(hoppas du förstår det här, kan inte namnen på dom norska grejerna, men det borde vara närmare än de engelska.)

*Start og återstillning eller nåt.

Virtualbody1234
02-05-2005, 01:44 PM
I don't know that language but I can understand it enough. Yes, turn off the 'Automatic Restart' feature and tell us what errors you get on the blue screen.

lynx
02-05-2005, 02:14 PM
grejernaI've always liked gadgets. :rolleyes:

Snee
02-05-2005, 02:16 PM
He's norwegian, which is very close to swedish, next time I'll do english, sorry.

clocker
02-05-2005, 02:20 PM

(hoppas du förstår det här, kan inte namnen på dom norska grejerna, men det borde vara närmare än de engelska.)

*Start og återstillning eller nåt.
You're lucky that Sara can't read Swedish.
In many countries, performing that act on a dog is illegal.

Snee
02-05-2005, 02:29 PM
Those damned online translators just keep getting better and better.

It's gotten so bad a bloke can't insult someone any more. :dry:

It's a travesty, really.

@neo: since you describe it as being so unstable, the first step has to be what VB and I described, so you'll have to turn that off and wait for a crash, when you get online again and have read this. There's really not anything else we can do at this point.

The ticking sound might just be the monitor resetting or changing resolution or something.

clocker
02-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Neo,
In a perfect world, when a new PC is assembled the first thing you do is run a program like Quick-Tech Pro and confirm that the hardware is performing well together ( we do this for every new build at the shop and it can save endless hours of frustration trying to fix Windows when a hardware issue is at fault).

Honestly, we don't have lots of experience yet with all the newer hardware ( most of my customers are just now upgrading into socketA!), but I have seen rumblings on forums regarding instability with the new Catalyst release and DirectX 9c.
Maybe you could try some different drivers (Omegas are very good) and revert back to 9b and see what happens.

Snee
02-05-2005, 02:47 PM
...or you could do what clocker says. :blush:

true_neo
02-05-2005, 08:41 PM

*Start og återstillning eller nåt.Actually, I have WinXP in English ;)
But I found it, thanks :)

You're lucky that Sara can't read Swedish.
In many countries, performing that act on a dog is illegal.I do NOT want to know.....

Neo,
In a perfect world, when a new PC is assembled the first thing you do is run a program like Quick-Tech Pro and confirm that the hardware is performing well together ( we do this for every new build at the shop and it can save endless hours of frustration trying to fix Windows when a hardware issue is at fault).

Honestly, we don't have lots of experience yet with all the newer hardware ( most of my customers are just now upgrading into socketA!), but I have seen rumblings on forums regarding instability with the new Catalyst release and DirectX 9c.
Maybe you could try some different drivers (Omegas are very good) and revert back to 9b and see what happens.I *would* have tried to run this program, but I can't find it anywhere on the torrent net. I'll look abit harder, and if I find it and it detects something uncool, I'll post back :P
Or do we need some hardware like on its site? :ermm:

Snee
02-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Så det finns inte på norska :P

Kunde just tänka mig det.

Det bor helt inte tillräckligt många människor där ute i vildmarken för att det skall vara värt att tillverka.

Mïcrösöül°V³
02-05-2005, 08:52 PM
yes clocker, do share with us this program :ph34r:

clocker
02-06-2005, 12:18 AM
QuickTech is a program sold by Ultra-X.
We bought the bundle for the shop which also includes a hardware diagnostic tool (PostCard) and it cost us over $2K.
I'd love to share, but we'd lose our license (at the very least...could be worse) so sorry, you'll have to do without.

If you have any local PC repair shops perhaps they have it, or something similar.

true_neo
02-06-2005, 12:35 AM
Så det finns inte på norska :P

Kunde just tänka mig det.

Det bor helt inte tillräckligt många människor där ute i vildmarken för att det skall vara värt att tillverka.Morsomt... Det er vel heller fordi 90 % av min MSN-liste er engelsktalende, og det dermed var meget slitsomt å drive tech-support med løst oversatte instruksjoner.

PS: Det er ikke vi som har "kungen" som driter seg loddrett ut ved enhver anledning... ;)

true_neo
02-10-2005, 05:04 PM
*bump*

This happened again, now when trying to play RO.
The stop message is:
0x0000008E (0xC000008E, 0x004BE03F, 0xAE876F04, 0x00000000)

A STOP 0x0000008E error means that Windows tried to execute an illegal low level instruction. The first numbers in parantheses, 0xC000008E and 0xC0000090, both indicate illegal floating point operations.
The above was found here (http://forums.eyo.com.au/showthread.php?t=28153).
I entered device manager and found 0xAE876F04 to be:
[80000000 - FFFFFFFF] PCI Bus
My graphics card is a GeForce 6800 PCI-E - I think we found a sodding match!
I already have the latest drivers from nvidia.com
It appears as if my motherboard does not have an AGP slot, accoding to EVEREST.
I entered my BIOS and enabled summit that had something to do with PCI-Ex16, which is what my gcard uses. Maybe this would fix it, or who knows?
Anyone else got a comment for this?