PDA

View Full Version : wanna buy a new comp...need some advice

gildan2020
02-05-2005, 02:53 PM
hi,
i'm planning to buy a new comp and it's definitely going to be Athlon 64-based :D .

The most difficult problem is to choose the right mobo. so i'm gonna need lots of advice here.

1) is VIA any better than nvidia?
2) i heard ati is coming out with its own version. will it be good also?
3) if i go for nvidia, should i go for nforce 4 or nforce 4 ultra?

and the most important question of all...which product/brand should i go for and why?

thx,
gildan2020

Snee
02-05-2005, 02:56 PM
NVidia is better, as far as I know.

tesco
02-05-2005, 03:01 PM
well I know that the VIA chipset beat the nforce 3...
but not sure about the nforce 4. I think it's supposed to be better.
If you were going to go for an ati, or even consider it, then you should probably wait a few months to see reviews and stuff (i only just heard of this now).

Duffman
02-05-2005, 03:05 PM
The whole ATI/NVIDIA thing is a matter of opinion, it's just like AMD/INTEL. Tomato, tomahto

Snee
02-05-2005, 03:07 PM
The whole ATI/NVIDIA thing is a matter of opinion, it's just like AMD/INTEL. Tomato, tomahto
Unless you've been looking at the latest benchmarks. :unsure:

clocker
02-05-2005, 03:07 PM
What platform are you moving into?
I assume socket 939.

As you are on the cusp of the technology wave it's hard to make solid recommendations yet.
Not enough data to find a statistically significant trend.
With socketA, you could be reasonably certain of what you were getting...IMO it's too early yet to make a decision on 939 based systems unless you are willing to go on personal anecdotes.
Ask VB...he seems well pleased with his setup.

gildan2020
02-06-2005, 08:29 AM
yeah, i'm considering socket-939 mobos...

now i have a new dilemma...
i wanna retain my good ol' AGP card, but i'm afraid socket-939 mobos dun support agp anymore
wat can i do?

gildan2020

Virtualbody1234
02-06-2005, 11:36 AM
What platform are you moving into?
I assume socket 939.

As you are on the cusp of the technology wave it's hard to make solid recommendations yet.
Not enough data to find a statistically significant trend.
With socketA, you could be reasonably certain of what you were getting...IMO it's too early yet to make a decision on 939 based systems unless you are willing to go on personal anecdotes.
Ask VB...he seems well pleased with his setup.

Socket 939 with AGP (Click): MSI K8T Neo2-FIR (http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8T_Neo2-FIR&class=mb)

From what I could tell when I looked for information, the VIA was slightly faster in benchmarks but the Nvidia3 has more overclocking features. The Nvidia was quite a lot more expensive and very few places had them in stock. So I chose the VIA.

Yes, I'm very pleased with my new setup. It runs very cool with the stock heatsink. Overall a very nice board.