PDA

View Full Version : torrent database!! Is this true?

sameer0807
02-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Hi,

I have a question regarding Bit torrent database, I hope someone will clear it for me. I feel confused....well anyways, Does a site like supernova(now dead) or torrentspy or whatever actually has all the torrents listed on their torrent database?
I mean there are thousands of files on their database...I can't even think how much total GB those files add togther....... wouldn't that will cost mad$$$$ to host or somethin?
Or does actually these sites just host torrent links???

Are they hosting torrent links or they actually have all those thousands of files on their server???????

What does it take to have a torrent database? man that's alot of GB!!!

Peerzy
02-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Sites just host the small torrent files, they do not host any the files at all.

sameer0807
02-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Sites just host the small torrent files, they do not host any the files at all.

OK...If these big sites are just hosting small files then where are those thousands of big files hosted on?

Peerzy
02-06-2005, 12:41 PM
There not hosted anywhere, there on peoples computers. The torrent file allows you to connect to the people and download the files from there computers.

sameer0807
02-06-2005, 12:48 PM
There not hosted anywhere, there on peoples computers. The torrent file allows you to connect to the people and download the files from there computers.
aah IC your point. So let's assume i have a file "X" that i would like to share with others, how does that work? I mean i know that i will first create a torrent of that file "X" then how will people know about that file?
Isn't that i have to upload that file to some torrent site, so that they can put file "X" on their database and people can download?

Sorry if i sound bit stupid..but I'm not sure how all this torrent database work!

muchspl2
02-06-2005, 12:54 PM
overview of how BitTorrent actually works:

Let's say you want to download a copy of this week's episode of "Desperate Housewives." Rather than downloading the actual digital file that contains the show, instead you would download a small file called a "torrent" onto your computer.

When you open that file on your computer, BitTorrent searches for other users that have downloaded the same "torrent."

BitTorrent's "file-swarming" software breaks the original digital file into fragments, then those fragments are shared between all of the users that have downloaded the "torrent." Then the software stitches together those fragments into a single file that a users can view on their PC.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3d/Torrentcomp_small.gif

sameer0807
02-06-2005, 01:02 PM
then those fragments are shared between all of the users that have downloaded the "torrent."
Ic what you saying, so if i have a movie file which is approx. 1.00GB in size....how much would be the size of that file once it's created into a torrent file?

Peerzy
02-06-2005, 01:17 PM
It doesnt alter the file size of the movie at all, the torrent file would be 5kb or so though.

Lets say i have Doom3, i create a torrent for Doom3 then upload the torrent to a website. I put the torrent into my Bittorent client and click seed. Now you come along and see the torrent for Doom3 so you download the torrent file and put it into your bittorent client and click download. You download Doom3 from me.

sameer0807
02-06-2005, 01:32 PM
It doesnt alter the file size of the movie at all, the torrent file would be 5kb or so though.

Lets say i have Doom3, i create a torrent for Doom3 then upload the torrent to a website. I put the torrent into my Bittorent client and click seed. Now you come along and see the torrent for Doom3 so you download the torrent file and put it into your bittorent client and click download. You download Doom3 from me.

that make sense!!

One more question, If i download the torrent for Dhoom3 (or whatever torrent file) from a torrent site and then use that torrent for Dhoom3 to put in my tracker, will that work? I mean would people will able to download that file from my tracker?

Vargas
02-06-2005, 01:54 PM
that make sense!!

One more question, If i download the torrent for Doom3 (or whatever torrent file) from a torrent site and then use that torrent for Doom3 to put in my tracker, will that work? I mean would people will able to download that file from my tracker?
only if someone connected to the new tracker is seeding it. ie: is sharing 100% of the file(s)

sameer0807
02-06-2005, 02:32 PM
only if someone connected to the new tracker is seeding it. ie: is sharing 100% of the file(s)
If the guy who is seeding on the site main tracker wouldn't also show as seeding on my tracker? The torrent file is same, it's just tracker difference.

Vargas
02-06-2005, 02:42 PM
If the guy who is seeding on the site main tracker wouldn't (he) also show as seeding on my tracker?No, the tracker tracks who's sharing, and he's not connected to that tracker
The torrent file is same, it's just tracker difference.the latest champloo episode i downloaded, i found a torrent, but it had 7 seeds and 10 peers, i looked around and found a torrent with the same file, but used a different tracker and it had thousands of seeds and peers (and faster speeds)
there is also multi tracker torrent files, that you can have more then one tracker in them, in case one goes down, but not all clients support multi-tracker torrents

sameer0807
02-07-2005, 01:08 AM
Well i was looking to start my own torrent database....I thought i could use other sites torrent and list them on my tracker...

{I}{K}{E}
02-07-2005, 01:41 AM
Well i was looking to start my own torrent database....I thought i could use other sites torrent and list them on my tracker...

you cannot use your 'own' tracker for torrents from other sites. if you want to make your own tracker you need people to upload using your tracker. you cannot connect to 2 trackers with 1 torrentfile.

No need to start another tracker there are enough great torrentsites :)

freak
02-07-2005, 02:22 AM
you can connect to two trackers with one torrent... But the torrent file needs to be made with both trackers in mind. I know azureus can do this not sure about other clients though. It'd be client dependent... only some clients have multi-tracker support...

lynx
02-07-2005, 09:23 AM
Well i was looking to start my own torrent database....I thought i could use other sites torrent and list them on my tracker...The other thing to remember is that the torrent is specific to that version of the shared file(s). Change a single byte and the torrent is no good, you can't take a torrent for (for example) Doom3 and share your own personalised version with it, they won't match. This is what prevents fakes.

So there's really no point in starting your own tracker for files which already have a tracker, if you have an exact copy of the same file it is far better to connect to the existing tracker and seed the file via that.

If you think you have a better version of something you can always make your own torrent, but you also have to find a tracker to load it onto, a site to share the torrent, and of course seed the file itself.

Peerzy
02-07-2005, 03:56 PM
you can connect to two trackers with one torrent... But the torrent file needs to be made with both trackers in mind. I know azureus can do this not sure about other clients though. It'd be client dependent... only some clients have multi-tracker support...

No, the bittorent client only attempts to connect to the second tracker if the first is not responding, meaning it is only ever connected to one and any one time. Think of the two tracker thing as one is a backup.

sameer0807
02-07-2005, 04:39 PM
damn..guess can't really start a tracker. I wonder how these torrent sites started? I mean when they started off there wouldn't be many peeps comming over to their websites...less torrent files to share, but now most of the tracker sites are huge.

No need to start another tracker there are enough great torrentsites
Well i wasn't gonna open another pubic site, I mean i thought i could have a nice private site with 500-800 members only.

freak
02-07-2005, 05:33 PM
No, the bittorent client only attempts to connect to the second tracker if the first is not responding, meaning it is only ever connected to one and any one time. Think of the two tracker thing as one is a backup.

Ah my mistake... I wouldn't imagine it being to hard for a client to allow you to connect to 2 trackers with one torrent. Wonder if we'll see the option soon or not..