PDA

View Full Version : The Superbowl

hobbes
02-06-2005, 11:38 PM
Wow, the pregame show and the ethnic diversity involved was fantastic.

It really underlines that racial tolerance and cultural diversity are on target in America.

It is very heartening to see both black (their ancestors were slaves) and white players crying during the singing of the National Anthem.

This event is so much bigger than the game itself as displayed by Geroge Bush Senior and Bill Clinton coming out together.

We are all bound by something deeper than simple party politics.

Biggles
02-06-2005, 11:42 PM

It really underlines that racial tolerance and cultural diversity are on target in America.

It is very heartening to see both black (their ancestors were slaves) and white players crying during the singing of the National Anthem.

This event is so much bigger than the game itself as displayed by Geroge Bush Senior and Bill Clinton coming out together.

If only it were Superbowl day every day.

hobbes
02-06-2005, 11:46 PM
Amen Biggles

vidcc
02-06-2005, 11:48 PM

was it the girls team plying then ?

Peerzy
02-06-2005, 11:49 PM
I have never watched a game of American Football (Read:Rugby :P ) in my life but i might give this one a go. I like the eagles because they had Will Smith saying they were gonna win a second ago.

BTW how long are these matches im not staying up all night

On the UK version they had an English football couch and a former pro rugby player commenting on the match :lol:

sArA
02-06-2005, 11:51 PM
On the UK version they had an English football couch :lol:

Can you get them from MFI? :huh:

hobbes
02-06-2005, 11:52 PM
The game is just a triviality in comparison to what the event means to the country.

manker
02-06-2005, 11:53 PM
Can you get them from MFI? :huh:I found an American one :unsure:

http://www.robsherman.com/information/liberalnews/2003/kmartflagthrowrug.jpg

Peerzy
02-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Can you get them from MFI? :huh:

Yesh, half price + another 20% off only if you buy now as offer ends Tuesday*

*The same deal will infact continue for another 3 years :dry:

Cheese
02-07-2005, 12:31 AM

I'm trying to work out if you're being ironic. :unsure:

(>Zero Cool<)
02-07-2005, 12:54 AM
Bit of a messy scrappy game so far. Not easy to call. :huh:

Though that isn't a bad thing as I used to watch the game when it was soooo one sided it was hardly an event. :no:

TheDave
02-07-2005, 03:01 AM
racial tolerance and cultural diversity suck.

100%
02-07-2005, 03:57 AM
I watched one screening of the superbowl once - houston oilers
I fell asleep

so who won?

Busyman
02-07-2005, 04:09 AM
Patriots won

24 - 21

SingaBoiy
02-07-2005, 04:49 AM
That was a pretty good game. Eagles clock management sucks though.

brotherdoobie
02-07-2005, 07:03 AM
I'm trying to work out if you're being ironic. :unsure:

Of course not...

Peace bd

SingaBoiy
02-07-2005, 11:46 AM
They shouldn't have it so late at night.

Everybody knows it will last for 3 or 4 hours, so why wait till midnight to start. It's just flippin' stupid.

More people would watch it if you started late afternoon or early evening.
.... :blink: midnight?

Started @ 3:30pm here. Local time for the game was 6:30pm... ;)

Cheese
02-07-2005, 11:49 AM
.... :blink: midnight?

Started @ 3:30pm here. Local time for the game was 6:30pm... ;)

Reely? Me and my mate Rod are totally hooked on American football, I've been fishing around the BT sites to get a download.

manker
02-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Reely? Me and my mate Rod are totally hooked on American football, I've been fishing around the BT sites to get a download.
:lol: :D

Skiz
02-07-2005, 05:58 PM
I watched one screening of the superbowl once - houston oilers
I fell asleep

so who won?

The Houston Oilers never went to the Super Bowl :blink:

I was born and raised there. We were on the other hand screwed out of the Super Bowl on two occasions though. Once in '79 where the ref said a receiver (can't recall the name) was out of bounds on a touchdown, where the replay proved otherwise. And again in '94 when we played the Bills and a touchdown of Don Beebe's was called "good" when in fact, he had one foot out of bounds. :angry:

vidcc
02-07-2005, 06:22 PM
The game is just a triviality in comparison to what the event means to the country.
What does the event actually mean then?

For non sports fans such as myself it means absolutely nothing.

Guillaume
02-07-2005, 06:46 PM
It's the quintessential meaning of what it means to be an American.

What? Running like mad, while trying to crush everyone else under your weight? :unsure:

hobbes
02-07-2005, 07:01 PM

It is a single touchstone which connects us all, irrespective of of who we are, what we have or where we are. The more touchstones a society has the healthier it is.

The Super Bowl actually extends far beyond sportfans and it is not the game which is important, it is the event. Many people gather together and watch the pre-game show and halftime and commericials and may or may not pay attention to the game.

It is a time for everyone to forget about their troubles and pretend that football is something important, if just for a few hours.

What a way to disagree soley for the purpose of disagreement. Sheesh, stop being a twit. :dry:

hobbes
02-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Hang fire there tiger, a joke's a joke but you've gone way too far this time.

I think an apology is in order.

Perhaps "twit" means something to you, that it does not to me. Twit to me is a "play" insult, to indicate mild annoyance, but not anger. The smilie was there for assistance as well.

To me you could substitute:

"Stop disagreeing for no reason than to disagree, Mr. Poo-Poo Potty Pants

The statements are equivalent.

But then again, you could have been just joking :angry:

hobbes
02-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Or indeed fishing.

That is anti-American!

I actually looked up the word twit and it means "fool". That was a bit harsher than I had intended. I had never actually looked up the definition of that word.

I figured it could be truly offensive elsewhere. Kind of like you guys use the word "twat" quite casually. Too me, that is one of the most offensive, vulgar words one can cast at another. Fightin' words.

hobbes
02-07-2005, 07:24 PM
See edit above, and I want a full point.

hobbes
02-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Are you posting in instalments again, twat.

Ooer Missus! :blink:

vidcc
02-07-2005, 07:28 PM
It is a single touchstone which connects us all, irrespective of of who we are, what we have or where we are. The more touchstones a society has the healthier it is.

The Super Bowl actually extends far beyond sportfans and it is not the game which is important, it is the event. Many people gather together and watch the pre-game show and halftime and commericials and may or may not pay attention to the game.

It is a time for everyone to forget about their troubles and pretend that football is something important, if just for a few hours.

What a way to disagree soley for the purpose of disagreement. Sheesh, stop being a twit. :dry:

oh you are such a girl sometimes
http://www.fancygirlhandbags.com/big-new-bags/girlie-girl-good.jpg

hobbes
02-07-2005, 07:30 PM
http://craftycollege.com/academics/whatever.jpg

Whatever!, Vidcc

j2k4
02-07-2005, 08:48 PM

So you are a fan of "non-sports"?

What does that actually mean, then?:whistling

:rolleyes:

vidcc
02-07-2005, 09:52 PM
So you are a fan of "non-sports"?

What does that actually mean, then?:whistling

i enjoy not sitting in front of the tv or sitting in the bleachers watching sport. i actively participate in not watching sports.

i have the world largest collection of no football trading cards

j2k4
02-08-2005, 12:33 AM
i enjoy not sitting in front of the tv or sitting in the bleachers watching sport. i actively participate in not watching sports.

i have the world largest collection of no football trading cards

Well, that's excellent, then. ;)

Good for you! :D