PDA

View Full Version : Lord Of The Rings Vs Star Wars

fallenknight308
04-02-2003, 09:20 PM
Lord of the rings!
And after I saw "twin towers" it spoiled me for any other movie!
I mean, how do you top that?! :D

Schmiggy_JK23
04-02-2003, 10:57 PM
Yes... its called the emotional roller coaster of Empire Strikes Back. The loss of friends... the treachery... the darling yoda... the AT-AT's.... The first confrontation of the father and son... and of course, the revelation of just that.... an ending that left you wondering, for 3 years... was it true...

Gimme empire any day... but TT was certainly spectacular.

jetje
04-02-2003, 11:32 PM
star wars 4-5-6 for sure... but don't think it's an honest comparission..

let's say it's a draw, different genres both very good,

we're just so lucky to watch them all..... :)

Skillian
04-02-2003, 11:39 PM
LOL jetje, that's why you're a mod - such impartiality! :lol:

I don't think LOTR can compare yet to Star Wars - Star Wars had that amazing something that can't quite be reached by Lord Of The Rings yet, it's difficult to say quite what it is.

But time will tell - I don't think people will still be talking about LOTR in 25 years the same way we talk about Star Wars now.

N£MO
04-02-2003, 11:57 PM
No comparrison Star Wars.....LOTR can only hope to get&keep the sort of cult following that Star Wars has gained over the years.

ezyryder
04-03-2003, 12:17 AM
I would usualy say Star Wars but with the latest two attempts sadly George Lucas has lost it :(
so Lord of the Rings perhaps now

4play
04-03-2003, 01:05 AM
I Think it is a bit early for comparission.

If you beleive the hype the best part is yet to come. after that you can judge for yourself which is better.

sred2003
04-03-2003, 02:30 AM
awe cmon,
star wars has been completely ruined in the last 2 episodes (even ROtheJedi)
george lucas is an idiot. he had the oportunity to make the greatest
story ever told and he sold out. he decided to make them for kids
in complete contrast to the way empire played out. basically
he had a choice when he started the new projects. keep the
stories integrity, or make as much money as possible.
he chose to sell out. shame on george lucas.
i still watch them though. lol

LOTR - may very well be the greatest fantasy movie of all time.

kooky_kramer
04-03-2003, 03:11 AM
LOTR is way better than Star Wars. The above is right George Lucas has sold out and the last two attempts at Star Wars were terrible compared to 4,5,6

fallenknight308
04-03-2003, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by kooky_kramer@2 April 2003 - 19:11
LOTR is way better than Star Wars. The above is right George Lucas has sold out and the last two attempts at Star Wars were terrible compared to 4,5,6
Don't get me wrong, I grew up with star wars, and I love episodes 4-5-6- but the new ones leave much to be desired, and the time has come for a new epic!
Lord of the rings is simply a cut above! :o

Wolfmight
04-03-2003, 04:25 AM
Lord of the Rings. Medevil and Magic fan here

chrhein
04-03-2003, 06:44 AM
Star wars for sure! This is the movies we grew up with, the toys we played with as kids. I still have the Millenium Falcon and a X-wing and Tie fighter locked up some where. LOTR is great, but it doesnt have the 30 year history that Star Wars does.

And... i dont think the last 2 movies have ruined anything. True episode 1 wasnt as good as we had hoped, but i think the 2nd was at least as good as the 3 classics.

sred2003
04-03-2003, 06:48 AM
no way - none of them can touch empire. the clones was half way decent
but the final jedi vs clones war was lame and the monsters they fought in
the arena, ugh. the whole thing was just childish.

Suicyco247
04-03-2003, 09:16 AM
I'd say this topic probably has a few of us showing our age. See back in the late 70's not many people had things like VCR's or cable, and for me, going to see Star Wars on the big screen was a HUGE event. I was 7 or 8 and it is the first time I remember being truly entertained, and all these years later Star Wars is still just as entertaining. I doubt many 7 or 8 year olds could really even understand LOTR(hell, I watched it twice and still had to have a fanboy explain some things), other than just the visual eye candy. Not to mention that LOTR is based on a very classic book series and Star Wars is completely from the mind of crazy George. Something I must also bring up, Star Wars' special effects were ground breaking, for their time they were much more advanced than anything ever seen before. Lord of the Rings visuals, while cutting edge(Gollum anyone), are no where near the milestone for movies that Star Wars were. In fact I'd say without Star Wars laying the groundwork much of LOTR technology would not even have been possible. Now as far as entertainment goes, it's like comparing apples and oranges, whichever you like best 'cause they're both pretty damned good!

3RA1N1AC
04-03-2003, 10:49 AM
the lord of the rings movies just don't hold my attention, as far as the story goes. it seems like by the time it's finished, it's going to be a 9 hour story about a couple of midgets on a journey to throw a magic ring into a volcano. wuuuuuut?

not that star wars is "high art" or anything, but the story and characters seem a lot more complex and meaningful. even if star wars is just a mish-mash of nazis, medieval japan, frank herbert's dune, etc... at least it's an emotionally/mentally engaging mish-mash. LOTR just leaves me cold, in comparison.

fallenknight308
04-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Wolfmight@2 April 2003 - 20:25
Lord of the Rings. Medevil and Magic fan here
@Wolfmight:
Is that your artwork (your sig)
If so, its pretty good B)

Star wars is timeless, it will live in my heart forever!
But, there's a new kid in town and his name is Peter Jackson B)

fallenknight308
04-03-2003, 11:22 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
(my FU#$%@ connection!)
Whats up with this site today?!@ :angry:

Paul_NFFC
04-04-2003, 09:57 PM
theyre both shit

SuperJude™
04-04-2003, 11:05 PM
Sorry LotR fans, if we were to put even the first 2 installments of LotR up against Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back there is no comparison. While LotR is one of the best things to happen to movies in a while (well since Matrix anyway) Star Wars and Empire truly went places we have never seen before.

Both seem to draw heavilly upon the Arthurian Mythos of course, but in that sense, Star Wars was truly original and changed the way we see movies, while LotR is a culmination of that opening.

Plus, I saw the NYC premiere of Star Wars when I was a kid and nothing can compare to that energy I felt from the adults, even while watching the premiere of LotR. Just not the same.

-SJ™

itay
04-04-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by kooky_kramer@3 April 2003 - 04:11
of course right Loter is better then Star Wars....
u can't even compare between them ;)

SuperJude™
04-04-2003, 11:57 PM
I was only basing this on the first 2-3 Star Wars movies since of course the recent editions have been nothing but eye candy.

-SJ™

Jayhawk
04-05-2003, 12:08 AM
I also believe that you can not compare these movies. They are two different types of movies in two different time periods.

fallenknight308
04-05-2003, 02:06 AM
I was just comparing them as epic vs epic, not genre vs genre.
I realize that alot of die-hard star wars fans will feel at the ready to defend it so I'll agree to disagree :lol:

DarthInsinuate
04-05-2003, 01:38 PM
reasons why i don't like LOTR:

- annoying stupid orchestra soundtrack to make the world seem bigger
- Elijah Wood doing that eye rolling thing (my old french teacher used to do that)
- 15 minute talking bits
- 4 hour movie, that is open ended (ARGHGGHG)
- mindless killing ended in the worst way ("yay, let's ride into the sunset(rise)")
- it's a book, probably should have stayed that way (JRR Tolkien is probably going nuts)
- a pretty cool elf guy doesn't do anything in the both movies
- that line "you'll have to toss me, don't tell the elf"

reasons why i like Star Wars (the good ones, and not the special editions):

- X-wings (see avatar, when it works)
- AT-AT Walkers
- Lightsabres
- Classic quotes "i was once but the learner, but now i am the master"
- Classic soundtrack
- Classic openings
- The senile wise one (Yoda)
- The way the Death Star is destroyed ("you're all clear kid, now lets blow this thing and go home")