PDA

View Full Version : If it ain't broke, DON'T fix it

Kid Kinedik
02-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Please people, as a longtime emule user, I see this modding as an affront to one of the most well developed OPEN SOURCE file sharing clients I've ever used. I am in no sense a "noob" or a "fanboy", just a VERY experienced :ph34r: Network Engineer, with time and bandwidth to burn. I have been using emule for a year and a half, and have tried 4 mods, 9 different programs, and have always come back. I always get 140-160 KB/s (thats kilo BYTE not BIT) as a rule after 4-6 hours uptime, and never crash. This is very obviously the lions share of my 1.5 Mb/s connection (thats mega BIT not BYTE). It's at least 90 percent utilisation most of the time. Why all this talk of faster clients? Do you get a "free magical super happy noob bandwidth booster" free with every mod? :whistling I thought not. If you are getting better speeds up or down with anything, it is only because you are too ignorant to properly configure your emule client. PLEASE people, stop this crazy mod bandwagon. It ain't broke, so leave it the hell alone, and learn how to configure your mule properly!!! Leechin bastards... :music:

Harsh!
02-08-2005, 09:02 PM
the official version is gay
End of story

Kid Kinedik
02-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Man, that's harsh. Can you expound on some reasons why I should switch clients, and to which it is that you think I should switch? And being a Kiwi, I think you should leave the sex-orientation comments to the sheep farmers they belong with... :D

Harsh!
02-08-2005, 09:24 PM
hahahaha...

Im not trying to convert you to switch to anything, if your current client is working well for you Id advise against switching....

Baaaaa!!!!! <-----(Sheep sound)

Kid Kinedik
02-08-2005, 10:14 PM
Actually.... Do you know of any specific clients that allow faster que progression and/or shorter que lengths? I would like to not have to wait 4-6 hours to actually hit 160 KB/s. If you know of any clients that could provide aggregated ques or something of this nature, I would love to try them. As for Nortons, I am one of those really anal home pc users (not so much on the network at work) who has to have every avenue of protection available to me. I check for windows & systemworks updates twice daily, and always apply XP (non server) updates blindly. This goes for the one button checkup as well. On the other hand, I have an incredibly fast, stable and secure computer, which is not bloated at all. :ph34r: (2 GB DDR2 533 OCZ, 480 GB Seagate SATA Raid 0+1 (120x4) 3.4 P4) :ph34r: Pretty hard to bloat that?

Kid Kinedik
02-08-2005, 10:27 PM
And hey there, didn't you link to the cunty thing over in the other thread? Nice release, im on it now, but hey, isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? A kiwi in sheeps clothing? teehee ;)

uNz[i]
02-09-2005, 10:44 AM
Please people, as a longtime emule user, I see this modding as an affront to one of the most well developed OPEN SOURCE file sharing clients I've ever used. I am in no sense a "noob" or a "fanboy", just a VERY experienced :ph34r: Network Engineer, with time and bandwidth to burn. I have been using emule for a year and a half, and have tried 4 mods, 9 different programs, and have always come back. I always get 140-160 KB/s (thats kilo BYTE not BIT) as a rule after 4-6 hours uptime, and never crash. This is very obviously the lions share of my 1.5 Mb/s connection (thats mega BIT not BYTE). It's at least 90 percent utilisation most of the time. Why all this talk of faster clients? Do you get a "free magical super happy noob bandwidth booster" free with every mod? :whistling I thought not. If you are getting better speeds up or down with anything, it is only because you are too ignorant to properly configure your emule client. PLEASE people, stop this crazy mod bandwagon. It ain't broke, so leave it the hell alone, and learn how to configure your mule properly!!! Leechin bastards... :music:
Are you serious? You might as well walk onto an active firing range with a target painted on your face and wearing a 'GUNS R GAY!' Tshirt... :no:

Guillaume
02-09-2005, 12:38 PM
']Are you serious? You might as well walk onto an active firing range with a target painted on your face and wearing a 'GUNS R GAY!' Tshirt... :no:

Wow, I nominate you for the "Analogy of the year" award. :lol:

Kid Kinedik
02-09-2005, 02:19 PM
I would just like to know what an alternative client has to offer when I already use all my available bandwidth? I haven't got cable available to me in the regional area I live in :frusty: , so 1.5 DSL is the fastest domestic connection here in Oz, barring cable :angry: . If I am persistently filling 170 KB/s of my pipe :shifty: , then why switch... Just... If it ain't broke... Don't fix it...

Cheese
02-09-2005, 06:42 PM
emule is teh suck

Harsh!
02-09-2005, 08:30 PM
Theres a few good mods out,Ill get a list of the current top 10 for you,

true_neo
02-09-2005, 09:09 PM
On the other hand, I have an incredibly fast, stable and secure computer, which is not bloated at all. :ph34r: (2 GB DDR2 533 OCZ, 480 GB Seagate SATA Raid 0+1 (120x4) 3.4 P4) :ph34r: Pretty hard to bloat that?My harddrive(s) own yours. 600 GB Maxtor SATA. Got the same amount of ram (*strokes Crucial*) and your cpu is only .2 ghz above mine.

That being said, eMule Plus worked for me back when I was on eMule.
the eDonkey 1.0 works just fine for all my ed2k needs.

mogadishu
02-11-2005, 01:53 AM
And hey there, didn't you link to the cunty thing over in the other thread? Nice release, im on it now, but hey, isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? A kiwi in sheeps clothing? teehee ;)

well then dont switch. emule is never that fast for me even with a ton of files on download. I still use emule.. i tried emule plus for a bit but it didnt really make a difference in my speeds, and thats all that i really cared about. Im starting to use it more so maybe ill look into some new mods, but i dont mind slow speeds. I dont use emule for files i want quick anyway.

sparsely
02-11-2005, 02:05 AM
sivka can't be fucked with.
BTFU

Harsh!
02-11-2005, 03:00 AM
For the average user emule is better for rare files....
Ones that your not in a hurry for...
Some people spend ages waiting in queue for new releases (not me thank god)

sparsely
02-11-2005, 03:04 AM
i don't really wait in a queue for new files on emule :whistling

rinki
02-11-2005, 08:01 PM
u know what is the prob ....there are those unfortunate enough to leave on other countries like israel when you get a maximal upload of 12 kb ...now thats harsh....so we need to "make do " with what we have...and so we seek other clients...or modify existing ones...because the upload is a major factor in this area...if u give to much of you upload ...it will slow down your download ...but if you dont ...u wont be able to reach a reasonable download speed from the start....theres a catch 22 for u ...solve this....i can only dream of a 100 rate not beacause i have a slow connection ...its beacause i have a low upload....