PDA

View Full Version : Omfg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spicker
02-10-2005, 12:54 AM
I HATE COMPUTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was working on history notes(summarize from 10pages) on the computer and then when i tried to print it and clicked on properties and tried to push quick print (lexmark software) to save ink and all of a sudden IT FREEZES!!!!!!!!

and Open Office just CLOSES down COMPLETELY and i forgot to save it!

and now i dont want to do it again!!!!!!!!!! :crying: :crying: :crying:

IM SOO PISSED RRIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111

Smith
02-10-2005, 12:56 AM
did you save it at all?

i thought microsoft word has something that saves after if the comp shuts down unexpectidly.

go to file and c if its there, cause it was for me...

Emdee
02-10-2005, 12:57 AM
Maybe you stumbled onto a conspiracy and it's the man trying to silence you. :unsure:

DarthInsinuate
02-10-2005, 01:06 AM
i would expect Open Office to have some sort of autosave feature, it would have been a good idea to use that if it does

Emdee
02-10-2005, 01:14 AM
There is, but it's off by default.

Meaning that unless you switched it on, all your work's gone. :(

Spicker
02-10-2005, 01:17 AM
im doin it all over again... i hate myself...im soo angry right now... :( i wanted to play halo 2 as soon as i was done with my hwmk but now............ :cry:

tesco
02-10-2005, 01:27 AM
open office... :sick:
And you should always save your work as you go along. :no:

Spicker
02-10-2005, 01:42 AM
the reason i am pissed is that it had to freeze when i was done and was ready to print it out.... :angry:

Busyman
02-10-2005, 02:24 AM
Hmmph....and everyone shits on Microsoft products. :dry:

100%
02-10-2005, 10:03 AM
http://pernicious.home.comcast.net/fukitol.jpg

ginguar
02-10-2005, 11:33 AM
My computer once turned the 2,000 word essay I had just finished into squares. I could have happily killed myself at that point.

Cheese
02-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Hmmph....and everyone shits on Microsoft products. :dry:

Are you a Bill Gates fan-boy? :unsure:

Cheese
02-10-2005, 11:35 AM
My computer once turned the 2,000 word essay I had just finished into squares. I could have happily killed myself at that point.

Did you not manage to get that sorted?

bigboab
02-10-2005, 11:37 AM
I'm afraid with some applications its just one of those things. It is on your computer somewhere. Finding it is the big problem. I dont know that particular application so I am unable to help you. Check your *.tmp files and things like that. Sometimes applications and operating systems save when the computer crashes. Try and open a document with the application and see if it shows a 'temp' type doc. Also check 'your recent documents'.

ginguar
02-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Did you not manage to get that sorted?

Yeah I pretended I was really ill to get extenuating circumstances then re-wrote the essay from notes and stuff.

TheDave
02-10-2005, 12:38 PM
me being a paranoid loon saves after every sentance, sometimes :01:

Snee
02-10-2005, 03:42 PM
I once opened an essay in the wrong text editor without noticing, and got a chopped up mess instead of my essay.

Took me fifteen minutes to figure out that I'd opened it in the wrong program and that it hadn't actually been scrambled. It was very late then, and I had three hours to sleep/rewrite it before it had to be turned in.

I was ready to kill someone for a while then.

Another time I had a crash and thought I'd lost seven hours of work I had been writing, and had forgotten to save.

The weird thing is that after my reboot, when I opened up word, and the one paragraph I had managed to save, it started to fill in the rest of the document, letter by letter as if someone else was writing it.

Some kind of flukked up memory leak saved me, somehow the ram hadn't dumped what I had running on my desktoop when I rebooted, all kinds of things resumed as if I'd never rebooted. I almost found religion right then and there.

I've also had a couple of these incidents where I ended up writing something better than before, thanks to having to start again, but with my previous work in mind.

So it's been my experience that things aren't as bad as one thinks when these things happen. I still save as often as I can remember when I remember to do so, tho'.

Skiz
02-10-2005, 04:15 PM
The autosave only works when the computer is unplugged or the power goes out type of thing. If the pc freezes, your just screwed. Sorry, I know it sucks, I've been there too. :frusty:

Spicker
02-11-2005, 01:07 AM
lol k i did it over again...and now doing todays history homework...

i have to find a Defining Moment and i decided to pick the Canadian Charter of Rights and freedoms

btw this is Canadian history :P

and this time i will save after every word or sentance ;)

good to hear im not the only one whose been through this kind of thing.... :)

exo_body
02-11-2005, 01:13 AM
would it not work, say if your computer froze, then you simply turn it off at the switch, then turn it back on again and microsoft word gives you the option to access the unsaved document?

Spicker
02-11-2005, 01:16 AM
would it not work, say if your computer froze, then you simply turn it off at the switch, then turn it back on again and microsoft word gives you the option to access the unsaved document?
it probably would work...but i wasnt using Microsoft Office... :blushing:

i was using OpenOffice because i was too lazy to download daemon tools... :cool2:

exo_body
02-11-2005, 01:19 AM
ooohhh right,lol, damn sorry to hear that

Cheese
02-11-2005, 01:31 AM
me being a paranoid loon saves after every sentance, sometimes :01:

Me too. Sometimes after every word if I'm on a slow one... :huh:

Rip The Jacker
02-11-2005, 02:10 AM
Yup, most of us have been there before. :(

Now a days I save after every paragraph, I learned from my mistakes.

Ariel_001
02-11-2005, 02:51 AM
Microsoft Office Word XP/2003 works perfect here. Just make sure your not running crappy extension/plugins/macros.

In fact I find it is best not to run any extension/plugins/macros.

TheDave
02-11-2005, 03:18 AM
Me too. Sometimes after every word if I'm on a slow one... :huh:
or just to make sure, incase you didn't save it before staring into space

uNz[i]
02-11-2005, 03:40 AM
I've lost sooo much work and time in the past, it's become second nature to just hit ctrl+s after every paragraph.

Paranoia can pay off. :1eye: