PDA

View Full Version : Video How to split a DVD-9 to 2 DVD-R using DVDFab

{I}{K}{E}
02-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Usually when you want to copy a DVD-9 disc you use a transcoding application like DVD Shrink, you remove the extras and all the audio tracks except one and you compress the main movie a little. This way you use only 1 disc, but you don't get the original quality of the source DVD and of course you don't get all the DVD contents like extas, making of and trailers. And here comes DVDFab. DVD Fab is an application that will let you split your DVD-9 into 2 DVD-R, so that you can get the original quality and all the extras you used to leave outside.

http://www.dvd-guides.com/images/guides/dvdfab01.jpg

This is the first screen of DVDFab. The Wizard (1) is a number of steps that will let you copy your DVD. It will analyze your DVD and let you select the way you want to copy it. Full disc (2) is usefull when you are sure you want to split everything in 2 disc and Main Movie (3) when you want to copy only the main movie.
As I told you before, DVDFab will not compress the movie, so if you select Main Movie you have to be sure that the main movie will fit into 1 DVD. In many cases it will not, that's why I suggest you select Wizard mode. The Other Tools (4) contain many useful tools that we'll use in some other guides! In this guide we are going to ise the Wizard mode so click on Wizard (1) to continue.

http://www.dvd-guides.com/images/guides/dvdfab02.jpg

Now you need to select the source. (1) Let's you select from your DVD driver and (2) from a folder in your hard disk that you may have ripped files into. Make your selection and click Next (3).

http://www.dvd-guides.com/images/guides/dvdfab03.jpg

These are the options you have after DVDFab analyzes the disc. As you can see some of them are greyed out. Let's have a look. (1) This splits the DVD-9 in two DVD-R discs. We are going to follow this, so I am going to explain more in the next step. (2) This option speads the titles in two discs. You should use this one only when you are copying season discs (also known as episode discs, for example a DVD that contains episodes of the "Friends"). (3) This option lets you copy only the original movie and leave the extras outside. Be careful, DVDFab does not support compression so this option will be available only when the main movie is under 4,38GB. In our example it is not, so this option is not available. (4) This is a DVD-5 copy and as you can see it's not available as it works only with DVD-5 discs which can be copied "as is".
We are going to use the first option, so click (1) to continue.

http://www.dvd-guides.com/images/guides/dvdfab04.jpg

First of all select the titles you want to split (1). Here is only one, but keep in mind that you always choose the bigger one. Then select where to split the title (2). DVDFab will select a chapter to split the titles so that there is about the same ammount of data in each disc. You can change this and have a look to how much data goes to each disc too(2). Finally you can select to show something when it is about to change the disc (3). When you're done with this settings click Next.

http://www.dvd-guides.com/images/guides/dvdfab05.jpg

Finally you can select the output method. (1) You store the files to a folder if you use this one. Just specify a folder and DVDFab will create two folders (Disc1 and Disc2) and create the DVD files in. (2) This one creates an ISO image that you can burn later using a DVD burning program. (3) This is the option you'll use more. Select your DVD burner, a folder for the temp files (4) click Go and you're ready!

http://www.dvd-guides.com/images/guides/dvdfab06.jpg

That's all. DVDFab is probably the best DVD-9 splitting out there right now.

original posted on dvd-guides.com

sharky72
06-09-2005, 02:02 PM
Wow... where do I find this Fabulous program??
That is just what I needed...

спасибо... Thanx!!

{I}{K}{E}
06-09-2005, 02:06 PM
http://www.dvdidle.com/nl/dvd-fab-platinum.htm

muchspl3
06-09-2005, 02:26 PM
someone just asked about this recently, I forgot who but good guide anyway IKE

Snee
06-09-2005, 03:39 PM
I have a question though:

Haven't really needed to copy any dvd's straight off before, but won't a regular DVD fit all right on a ~8GB dual layer disc? This is just necessary if you don't have a dual layer burner, right?

{I}{K}{E}
06-09-2005, 03:47 PM

Haven't really needed to copy any dvd's straight off before, but won't a regular DVD fit all right on a ~8GB dual layer disc? This is just necessary if you don't have a dual layer burner, right?

yes.

normally you shrink (DVD Shrink/CCE) DVDs so they fit on a DVD5. But with movies like LOTR which are very long people prefer to split them instead of compressing them.

Snee
06-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Ah, 'k, thanks for answering.

m-35
01-15-2006, 12:29 AM
hekssssssssssssssssssss

Wolfmight
01-16-2006, 03:41 AM
I find DVD Shrink can compress the main movie, extra, etc without a problem on 55 or higher quality. I don't see any difference from 100 and 55+ when using the Deep analyze and Sharp compression technique. I like it all on one DVD-R.

maebach
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
thanks IKE, It came in handy today.

achillies
03-23-2006, 04:39 PM
hey where do i find this?

ronaldinho
03-23-2006, 07:23 PM
Thx for grt info

drummerboy2006
03-31-2006, 07:29 PM
what should i do before splitting the DVD-9
most of the movies have protection right.
how can i unlocke the protection

penis911
04-02-2006, 04:03 AM
thank u i was looking for this everywhere! :)

hisamrain
06-22-2006, 02:05 AM
Great help.

thanks

itemp
07-17-2006, 02:19 AM
thanks IKE, I will try this :)

omega6666
07-25-2006, 06:57 AM
I find DVD Shrink can compress the main movie, extra, etc without a problem on 55 or higher quality. I don't see any difference from 100 and 55+ when using the Deep analyze and Sharp compression technique. I like it all on one DVD-R.

That depends very much on te bitrate of the original DVD. If you compress a movie which had an average bitrate of 6000+, then a 50% compression isn't much of a problem when using a top re-encoder like CCE SP. DVD-Shrink really sucks at creating these relatively low bitrates (because it's a transcoder, instead of a re-encoder). But even a low bitrate can still give a high quality picture, when the movie has a lot of still backgrounds, or has a lot of black areas (for instance; The Descent). The movie wil be very easily compressable (in case of still backgrounds) or simply doesn't have much information in it (in case of black areas). Action movies with a lot of sharp in-focus detailed areas (The Matrix) tend to need high bitrates.

gamer4eva
07-25-2006, 04:44 PM

Dual layer discs are like £2 for one!! I can get 3 DVD-R for £1 so its better moneywise too i suppose?:)

Paulinho4l
08-01-2006, 09:49 PM
Thx for grt info

petzoldpet
08-16-2006, 09:47 AM
thx for the info.
It is really great to see that originals can be saved without having to buy expensive(in india) dual layer DVD's on cheap single layer DVD's.

enjoy_with_me
08-20-2006, 01:37 AM
gr8 many thnx .

djlove
08-27-2006, 04:44 PM
thax a lot

djlove
08-27-2006, 04:45 PM
gr8 work thax a lot