PDA

View Full Version : Lokitorrent gone!!!!

zootfloot
02-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Ive just been to lokitorrent and they have been shut down :no:

{I}{K}{E}
02-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Lokitorrent, an extremely popular BitTorrent website, now has an MPAA message as its homepage.

The site recently gathered over $40,000 as funds for fighting the court case that was brought upon them by the MPAA. They vowed to fight for the BitTorrent community. However, the site has been up and down over the last few days, and now the site reads the following:

"This website has been permanently shut down by court order because it facilitates the illegal downloading of copyrighted motion pictures. The illegal downloading of motion pictures robs thousands of honest, hard-working people of their livelihood, and stifles creativity. Illegally downloading movies from sites such as these without proper authorization violates the law, is theft, and is not anonymous. Stealing movies leaves a trail. The only way not to get caught is to stop."

What's interesting, though, is that the page is highly unprofessional. The page header reads "MPAA NOTICE", and the page itself contains a somewhat satirical 'I' rating - to represent downloading being 'Illegal' for everyone. The image is also rather ridiculous, with bold text saying: "You can click But you can't hide" - unusual, and stupid.

Personally I believe this is a complete mockup. The Nikush.com Team, including myself, and many others across the BitTorrent community knew right from the start that this was a hopeless battle. All credit to them for trying...oh wait, did they even try? What happened to the $30,000 they got for the 'first' month? There were no updates on the courtcase whatsoever. It seems as if Lowkee (alias of the Lokitorrent administrator) and sold the entire BitTorrent community out, and done a runner with many peoples' hard earning money.

Bye bye donated money :P

zootfloot
02-10-2005, 09:39 PM
Good call...i just got there...read the notice and shat myself.

in a way Im glad i didnt donate although a couple of friends did.....lets see what comes of it. :shifty:

Peerzy
02-10-2005, 09:53 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/27/loki_up_for_sale/

darkmatter
02-10-2005, 10:08 PM
how comes my post got locked?

I posted before this guy didnt I?

ah well.

there goes my 10 quid

oscarxp
02-10-2005, 10:16 PM
According to oddcrap from the Neowin.net Forums, after having spoken to Lowkee himself, the site has been taken down by a request from the judge at the trial. The images being hosted on the Lokitorrent server add to the fact that the site hasn't actually been taken over by the MPAA. So basically, they are still bullshitting us, but maybe not as we thought. Or maybe...

sameer0807
02-10-2005, 10:23 PM
wtf?? BT is dyin....lowki torrent got shut down....holyshat....
BT IS DYING!!
FUK
BT IS DYING!!
FUK
BT IS DYING!!
FUK.....

NO...NO.....NO......NO

I DONATED $30.00 BUCKS....FOR NUTHIN

Skydragon
02-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Lowkee is probably sitting home with his money reading this thread and laughing at the donaters...HAHAHA.

sameer0807
02-10-2005, 10:29 PM
Lowkee is probably sitting home with his money reading this thread and laughing at the donaters...HAHAHA.

FUKIN *****!

ya man u r right..

I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!! WHAT A SCAM.

Xanthus
02-10-2005, 10:49 PM
He made a ton a money and managed to sell his domain for a lot of money. It appears he sold out to the community.

Good thing torrentspy is still going strong. It's still the most popular torrent community right now.

tutv
02-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Check the CSS and HTML - it's been done in Dreamweaver.

sameer0807
02-10-2005, 10:57 PM
He made a ton a money and managed to sell his domain for a lot of money. It appears he sold out to the community.

Good thing torrentspy is still going strong. It's still the most popular torrent community right now.

It won't last long man......Believe me when torrentspy got shut down.....BT DAYS WILL BE OVER!

{I}{K}{E}
02-10-2005, 11:01 PM
sameer0807 please stop crying, there are enough other private bittorrent websites.

Xanthus
02-10-2005, 11:05 PM
MPAA MEMBER STUDIOS FILE SECOND ROUND OF LAWSUITS AGAINST MAJOR P2P SERVER OPERATORS THAT FACILITATE GLOBAL MOVIE PIRACY

Austria joins list of countries aggressively pursuing criminal actions against illegal file-trading servers; LokiTorrent server settles litigation

Washington, DC; Encino – In the second major offensive against operators who use BitTorrent and eDonkey servers to facilitate the rampant theft of filmed entertainment, the Motion Picture Association of America, Inc. (MPAA) today announced that its member companies have initiated another series of lawsuits and proceedings aimed at disabling those illegal servers. The MPAA member companies have also taken legal action against commercial websites that are profiting from the infringement of the studios’ copyrighted motion pictures.

“With our first round of lawsuits and legal actions against these individuals who facilitate the theft of movies online, often for their own personal gain, we were able to seriously hamper the traffic on these sites or completely shut them down,” said John G. Malcolm, Senior Vice President and Director, Worldwide Anti-Piracy Operations, MPAA. “That was one step—and a successful one—against these individuals, and today’s announcement should demonstrate that we plan to be equally vigilant against anyone caught operating one of these websites. And as these actions prove, we will catch them.”

In addition the MPAA announced that law enforcement authorities in Austria joined Hong Kong, Finland, France and the Netherlands as countries that have taken criminal action against operators of such servers in their own countries.

The MPAA's efforts to date have resulted in a 40 percent reduction in the number of servers that continue to operate. One such site that will no longer exist is LokiTorrent—one of the largest BitTorrent host servers. The operator of that site, Edward Webber, agreed to not only pay a substantial settlement with even greater financial penalties for any further such actions, but by Court Order must provide the MPAA with access to and copies of all logs and server data related to his illegal BitTorrent activities, which will provide a roadmap to others who have used LokiTorrent to engage in illegal activities.

BitTorrent and eDonkey are examples of newer kinds of peer-to-peer file-trading networks that have proliferated recently, which rely on servers (termed BitTorrent "trackers" and eDonkey "servers") to index and efficiently deliver files of all kinds. The operators being targeted by these actions have misused this technology by knowingly assisting online pirates to disseminate hundreds of millions of illegal copies of movies and television programs.

“The MPAA and its member companies believe that these actions will not only stem the theft of our intellectual property, but will allow these new technologies to be used for the proper, legal and constructive purposes they were created for, without being subverted into a haven for criminal activity,” said Malcolm.

The MPAA also announced today that it will be sending takedown notices pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to Internet service providers that host eDonkey servers that are being used to facilitate copyright infringement. They also filed suits against four pirate websites. The operators of these sites charge their customers subscription fees in exchange for substantial assistance in locating and downloading infringing copies of copyrighted motion pictures, including films owned by the MPAAA member companies. The four sites are: www.brandnewmovies.com; www.moviepros.net; www.downloadmuch.com; www.downloaditall.com.

These actions are only the latest step in the MPAA’s multi-pronged fight against online piracy. Other initiatives have included educational outreach to parents, consumers, university administrators and students as well as high school and elementary school children; anti-piracy legislation to toughen penalties; support of criminal law enforcement initiatives against egregious online and hard goods motion picture pirates; litigation against individual online file traders; and development of new technologies to detect and prevent piracy. The MPAA’s member studios have also been strong supporters of, and investors in, legal movie download services and technologies such as MovieLink, CinemaNow and MovieBeam which provide a safe, attractive and economical alternative to piracy.

About Piracy in the Film Industry
It is estimated that the film industry lost approximately $3.5 billion to movie piracy in 2004, a total that does not include losses due to illegal file sharing online. According to a Smith Barney study, that number is expected to jump to $5.4 billion in 2005. By deeply cutting into revenues, movie piracy limits the choices for consumers at the box office. Sixty percent of all movies never recoup their production and marketing costs which average well over $100 million. Piracy also hurts the hundreds of thousands of individuals whose jobs depend on a vital movie industry, including sound and lighting technicians, carpenters, and theatre and video store employees.

About the MPAA
The Motion Picture Association of America, Inc. (MPAA) serves as the voice and advocate of the American motion picture, home video and television industries from its offices in Los Angeles and Washington, D.C. Its members include Buena Vista Pictures Distribution, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc., Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc., Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, Universal City Studios LLLP, and Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

# # #

For more information, please contact:
Phuong Yokitis
MPAA Washington, DC
202-293-1966

Anne Caliguiri
MPAA Encino
818-995-6600

sameer0807
02-10-2005, 11:06 PM
sameer0807 please stop crying, there are enough other private bittorrent websites.
lol....ur right mate!

Expire
02-10-2005, 11:50 PM
It won't last long man......Believe me when torrentspy got shut down.....BT DAYS WILL BE OVER!

i have the same feeling man, eveything just seems so fucked up at the moment and it doesent seem to be settling down.

it just ugly

sArA
02-10-2005, 11:54 PM
Public sites are definately more at risk than private sites. But these things have a habit of popping up all the time. Its just a case of keep your eye on the ball.

erRor67
02-11-2005, 12:26 AM
LokiTorrent fed the torrent hunger of 680,000 active registered members and dealt with 1.8 million hits per day. They were the only website to stand and fight the MPAA after the pre-Christmas shutdowns. Or so the community, who donated $40,000 legal aid, thought.

Either $40, 000 is not enough to fight, or the MPAA have given Edward Webber, the site owner, a better offer.

“This website has been permanently shut down by court order because it facilitates the illegal downloading of copyrighted motion pictures,” an MPAA notice on Lokitorrent.com now reads.

Torrentstop, LokiTorrent's lighter sister which is also run by Webber, displays the same notice.

Sources close to Webber have confirmed that the shutdown by the MPAA is permanent. The case will not go to trail. No more information is available at this stage due to a court gagging order.

Update: LokiTorrent administrator Edward Webber has agreed to pay a substantial fine and to provide all BitTorrent activity logs of its former users. This comes as a serious betrayal to those who felt that LokiTorrent intended to fight the MPAA lawsuit. From the MPAA press release:

The MPAA's efforts to date have resulted in a 40 percent reduction in the number of servers that continue to operate. One such site that will no longer exist is LokiTorrent—one of the largest BitTorrent host servers. The operator of that site, Edward Webber, agreed to not only pay a substantial settlement with even greater financial penalties for any further such actions, but by Court Order must provide the MPAA with access to and copies of all logs and server data related to his illegal BitTorrent activities, which will provide a roadmap to others who have used LokiTorrent to engage in illegal activities.

Hollywood has a record of avoiding the difficulties of proving their victims guilty. As a substitute, they intimidate both P2P users and leaders by making offers which can not be refused.

Webber’s intention to stand and fight have been under scrutiny since the website was found for sale on US Netco SEDO, complete with the details of 680, 000 active members. Webber claimed to be testing the water, saying he did not mean to cause a stir.

The loss is another blow to BitTorrent, and file sharing as a whole, which has lost many of the main P2P websites over the last few months. Nonetheless, it is a community which has survived the loss of SuprNova and Youceff, returning virtually unscathed on the other side.

Source: http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=661

Mïcrösöül°V³
02-11-2005, 12:27 AM
i have the same feeling man, eveything just seems so fucked up at the moment and it doesent seem to be settling down.

it just ugly
your avatar says it all, :P

sameer0807
02-11-2005, 12:33 AM
I dunno {I}{K}{E} is tellin me not cry, but after hearing more news on lawsuits by MPAA, I can't help myself!

Skydragon
02-11-2005, 12:48 AM
http://www.vip-torrents.com/ is still up. :D

sameer0807
02-11-2005, 01:12 AM
Demonoid is back! I think they are hosting from Russia now.

Cheese
02-11-2005, 01:29 AM
I kind of suspected something like this would happen. The site was a bit pants anyhow. There's plenty of much better private and public sites out there.

Murderyou
02-11-2005, 02:22 AM
Update: LokiTorrent administrator Edward Webber has agreed to pay a substantial fine and to provide all BitTorrent activity logs of its former users. This comes as a serious betrayal to those who felt that LokiTorrent intended to fight the MPAA lawsuit. From the MPAA press release:

Not only did he come up on folks cash, he's also snitching on em.

That Fucker :angry: :mad3:

Mïcrösöül°V³
02-11-2005, 03:39 AM
well, maybe someone on the street will cut his fookin throat, i hate a snitching rat fuck.

mikenmike0001
02-11-2005, 04:06 AM
NOooooooooooooooo first supernova, then the 2nd best was lokitorrent and now it's gone....

shit, i'm out of old bittorrent places to go , so where did all the loki members shift to? i need to shift to the same site they're going.........

sameer0807
02-11-2005, 05:01 AM
NOooooooooooooooo first supernova, then the 2nd best was lokitorrent and now it's gone....

shit, i'm out of old bittorrent places to go , so where did all the loki members shift to? i need to shift to the same site they're going.........

probally torrentspy!

Broken
02-11-2005, 05:17 AM
I have to wonder what kind of logs the site kept.
It wouldn't be very useful to know how much was download, but of what and by who. This could be bad for a lot of people.

muchspl2
02-11-2005, 05:19 AM
http://www.mpaa.org/CurrentReleases/2005_02_10_BitTorrentLokitorrent.doc

The MPAA's efforts to date have resulted in a 40 percent reduction in the number of servers that continue to operate. One such site that will no longer exist is LokiTorrent-one of the largest BitTorrent host servers. The operator of that site, Edward Webber, agreed to not only pay a substantial settlement with even greater financial penalties for any further such actions, but by Court Order must provide the MPAA with access to and copies of all logs and server data related to his illegal BitTorrent activities, which will provide a roadmap to others who have used LokiTorrent to engage in illegal activities.

from mpaa press release :(

http://img169.exs.cx/img169/657/commp38qm.jpg

Broken
02-11-2005, 07:28 AM
I don't know that the MPAA and RIAA have any joint anti-piracy operations. I really am under the impression that although they might have a similar intrest in seeing the downfall of p2p, they aren't working together.

darkmatter
02-11-2005, 05:40 PM
http://img197.exs.cx/img197/8253/lowkee-aka-cocksucker.jpg

if anyones looking for him

ZaZu
02-11-2005, 06:07 PM
'Tracker' Site Loses Piracy Judgment

The major Hollywood studios have drawn their first blood in court against a popular new type of online piracy, obtaining a $1-million judgment against a website that steered people to downloadable copies of bootlegged movies.

Edward Webber, operator of LokiTorrent.com, agreed not only to pay the damages to studios and shut down his site, but also to give the Motion Picture Assn. of America voluminous records his site has collected over the last two years.

These records could lead investigators to tens of thousands of people who distributed and downloaded unauthorized copies of digital goods, said John G. Malcolm, head of the MPAA's anti-piracy efforts.

Malcolm said the site had more than 750,000 registered users and helped distribute more than 35,000 movies, songs and other items.

"It will have a lot of records as to who these people are and what they provided, and that information will be of great interest to our members," Malcolm said. He said the MPAA would turn over information to prosecutors "in appropriate cases," but did not elaborate.

Webber did not respond to a request for comment. His website describes him as a 28-year-old computer-network consultant in New England whose main hobby is building websites. He agreed to the judgment to settle the lawsuit the MPAA brought against him, but there was no indication Thursday that he could afford to pay the $1 million in damages.

The judgment, which a federal judge in Dallas signed Thursday, came less than three months after the MPAA launched an international crackdown on "tracker" sites for people using the BitTorrent file-sharing software. The effort in December also targeted people offering bootlegged Hollywood movies on powerful computer servers connected to eDonkey, the most widely used file-sharing network.

Also Thursday, the MPAA announced that it had filed a second wave of lawsuits against BitTorrent tracker sites in the United States and more lawsuits against individual file sharers. The organization also said it filed more notices asking Internet providers to shut down eDonkey servers on their networks and lawsuits against four websites that sold file-sharing programs. The MPAA also prompted authorities in Austria to raid operators of BitTorrent trackers and eDonkey servers. Malcolm declined to say how many individuals or sites were reached by the crackdown.

BitTorrent has skyrocketed in popularity over the last year because it can deliver large files faster than other file-sharing technologies. But the software has no built-in method for finding files; instead, users rely on people who run tracker websites such as LokiTorrent that act as directories.

These tracker sites compile links to digital files that are being shared online as "torrents," the format used by the BitTorrent software. The links connect users to the Internet addresses of the people supplying copies of the file.

Charles S. Baker, Webber's attorney, said at least parts of LokiTorrent were defensible in court. In particular, he said, Webber offered to drop links to any pirated goods that copyright owners found on the site.

But the studios had plenty of money for legal fees, and "there was nobody coming to the table willing to write a check for him to defend this lawsuit," Baker said. "Like a lot of David vs. Goliath situations, he's got stones to throw, but he didn't have any money to go get a slingshot."

Source (filesoup.com) (http://www.filesoup.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=92157&st=100)

sameer0807
02-11-2005, 08:52 PM
dammit not a good news. I haven't downloaded much from loki (probally 6-7 GB). But people who have used loki to download tons of GB stuff might get sued by MPAA.

I don't know, atleast that's what i think. People who have downloaded more (GB), are the ones who have high chances of getting sued!

darkmatter
02-11-2005, 09:10 PM
The logs cant prove nothing

sameer0807
02-11-2005, 09:55 PM
The logs cant prove nothing

why not? Doesn't logs will have ip address and other user information?

Benno
02-11-2005, 11:03 PM
why not? Doesn't logs will have ip address and other user information?
Yes but you can name your homemovies "lord of the rings: extended edition" and then up them. It aint illegal to download something with a filename from a copyrighted movie if the file actually is something else.

Unless they can prove that you were really downloading the movie the logs dont prove anything.

sameer0807
02-12-2005, 12:49 AM
http://img197.exs.cx/img197/8253/lowkee-aka-cocksucker.jpg

if anyones looking for him

I hate that guy...

DanB
02-12-2005, 01:08 AM
Cock sucker selling his tracker logs :angry:

dodgy368
02-12-2005, 01:09 AM
I hate that guy...
Why do you hate him?

Are you the one fighting a big organisation and risking financial ruin and the threat of going to prison to be someone's "bitch"?

Don't think so matey!

On a plus side, I hardly ever used their site so won't miss it, elite has got to be one of the best sites now, use them. :D

Formula1
02-12-2005, 01:24 AM
Why do you hate him?

Are you the one fighting a big organisation and risking financial ruin and the threat of going to prison to be someone's "bitch"?

Don't think so matey!

On a plus side, I hardly ever used their site so won't miss it, elite has got to be one of the best sites now, use them. :D

Yeah Elitetorrents.org kicks ass :D

erRor67
02-12-2005, 01:31 AM
till that goes down and gives out a log of everything :lol:

lynx
02-12-2005, 01:32 AM
The strange thing is that lokitorrent's tracker is still working. :blink:

Elite rarely has anything new (at least in the case of DVD-RIPs) and their software is dodgy. Mention that on their forum and you'll find the staff have a serious attitude problem.

ftcnt
02-12-2005, 01:43 AM
im just glad i didnt donate money. plenty of good alternatives out there. gotta love pisexy.org ;) for their dvd-r selection

DanB
02-12-2005, 02:11 AM
The strange thing is that lokitorrent's tracker is still working. :blink:

Elite rarely has anything new (at least in the case of DVD-RIPs) and their software is dodgy. Mention that on their forum and you'll find the staff have a serious attitude problem.

A little birdie told me their server might have been fooled with :ph34r:

http://www.lokitorrent.com/hand.gif

leeferdude
02-12-2005, 04:04 AM
There are websites that provide legal downloads. This is not one of them.

This website has been permanently shut down by court order because it facilitates the illegal downloading of copyrighted motion pictures. The illegal downloading of motion pictures robs thousands of honest, hard-working people of their livelihood, and stifles creativity. Illegally downloading movies from sites such as these without proper authorization violates the law, is theft, and is not anonymous. Stealing movies leaves a trail. The only way not to get caught is to stop.

http://img218.exs.cx/img218/9901/faid24id.jpg
http://img218.exs.cx/img218/1236/urthworm12cv.jpg

Ariel_001
02-12-2005, 10:52 AM
These ones are funny too.

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2320

http://img154.exs.cx/img154/3264/captainpancakes3wz.jpg

http://img154.exs.cx/img154/8853/coxy2xy.jpg

http://img154.exs.cx/img154/8402/faid5un.jpg

http://img154.exs.cx/img154/2333/incircles2rc.jpg

http://img154.exs.cx/img154/315/kimcicle9rh.jpg

http://img154.exs.cx/img154/906/pavil9ma.jpg

http://img154.exs.cx/img154/6107/plastickiwi5ag.jpg

http://img154.exs.cx/img154/6509/puck7tj.jpg

Cheese
02-12-2005, 03:01 PM
LMAo. Those images are brilliant. :lol:

mikenmike0001
02-12-2005, 05:14 PM
oh really? okay, so i guess i'll shift from loki to elite and this torrentspy site that someone told me about..

for the torrents that were downloaded from loki, are they all dead now, or do they link somewhere else that i can still continue it?

Peerzy
02-12-2005, 05:47 PM
oh really? okay, so i guess i'll shift from loki to elite and this torrentspy site that someone told me about..

for the torrents that were downloaded from loki, are they all dead now, or do they link somewhere else that i can still continue it?

If the tracker is still up like Lynx susgested then if you have the torrent file from Loki saved somewhere on your computer (temp files or on your destop or where you save torrent files) and the torrent still has active seeders you will be able to finnish your download. Iv never used Loki but i know for a legal fact that the logs are useless unless the RIAA/MPAA can in someway prove that the files where infact movies and not just files with those names. The RIAA will not be able to ask peoples ISP's if the bytes/bits they downloaded match a crc of a copyright movie as thats invasion of privacy.

Hanz™
02-12-2005, 06:31 PM
If the tracker is still up like Lynx susgested then if you have the torrent file from Loki saved somewhere on your computer (temp files or on your destop or where you save torrent files) and the torrent still has active seeders you will be able to finnish your download. Iv never used Loki but i know for a legal fact that the logs are useless unless the RIAA/MPAA can in someway prove that the files where infact movies and not just files with those names. The RIAA will not be able to ask peoples ISP's if the bytes/bits they downloaded match a crc of a copyright movie as thats invasion of privacy.
I'm pretty sure that the MPAA have enough money to do anything they want and not get told off.

lynx
02-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Ah, well, it looks like the trackers are down too.

Damn, I only had a few hundred meg to go. :(

{I}{K}{E}
02-12-2005, 10:01 PM
Ah, well, it looks like the trackers are down too.

Damn, I only had a few hundred meg to go. :(

if the same file is shared on another site you can use that torrent to continue your download.

lynx
02-13-2005, 02:08 AM
if the same file is shared on another site you can use that torrent to continue your download.I know, but I haven't found it so far (at least, not the same info hash or even anything like the same included files).

Peerzy
02-13-2005, 02:51 AM
I'm pretty sure that the MPAA have enough money to do anything they want and not get told off.

Not in the eyes of the law they don't. If someone was taken to court and managed to prove that the MPAA/RIAA along with there ISP had broke the privacy act then all the data they gained would be thrown out, leaving them with not a very good case.

Emdee
02-13-2005, 03:31 AM
If someone was taken to court and managed to prove that the MPAA/RIAA along with there ISP had broke the privacy act...
That's not the one that Bill Clinton supposedly signed and which doesn't actually exist is it? :huh:

Or is there another real act which protects our privacy?

{I}{K}{E}
02-13-2005, 11:42 AM
LokiTorrent owner to pay $1-million

The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) representing Hollywood's major film studio has won a very important case against movie pirates. They have brought down LokiTorrent.com.

LokiTorrent, which was owned by Edward Webber, directed people to downloadable copies of copyrighted movies. Webber is finned $1-million in a judgment issued by a Dallas court. An MPAA notice has replaced the home page of the site.

The court has also ordered the site owners to handover the records such as IP addresses of those who downloaded movies through the site. The records will help investigators to pinpoint thousands of people who downloaded unauthorized copies of movies, TV programme etc.

John G. Malcolm, head of the MPAA's anti-piracy efforts said, "It will have a lot of records as to who these people are and what they provided, and that information will be of great interest to our members. The MPAA would turn over information to prosecutors in appropriate cases."

The site Lokitorrent.com was serving as a tracker that allows people who want to download files to connect with those who have them and want to swap them.

The site works on software like BitTorrent. BitTorrent is a simple protocol designed for transferring files. It is peer-to-peer in nature where users connect to each other directly to send and receive portions of the file. It is the tracker, like LokiTorrent.com, which coordinates the action of all such peers. The tracker only manages connections, it does not have any knowledge of the contents of the files being distributed, and therefore a large number of users can be supported with relatively limited tracker bandwidth.

The key philosophy of BitTorrent is that users should upload (transmit outbound) at the same time they are downloading (receiving inbound.) In this manner, network bandwidth is utilized as efficiently as possible.

Although the file sharing network operators claim that they don’t have any idea or control on what is being transferred on their network, movie makers feel otherwise. After all if your site boasts to be one that fastest downloads and keeps a track of what is available where, then you cant pretend to be an innocent bystander.

lynx
02-13-2005, 06:34 PM
“By Court Order [Edward Webber, former LokiTorrent owner] must provide the MPAA with access to and copies of all logs and server data related to his illegal BitTorrent activities, which will provide a roadmap to others who have used LokiTorrent to engage in illegal activities.”

The MPAA’s press release is chilling. Not only has the money donated to the legal defence fund disappeared into a black hole, but all former registered users of LokiTorrent are placed at risk of future lawsuits.

However, registered users will be relieved to hear that very little, if any, useful information will end up in the hands of the MPAA.

“They don't have anything, they have air,” an ex-torrent site owner told Slyck. He chose to remain anonymous. For arguments sake, we will call him Paul.

Paul also ran a Torrent site based on the same scripts and source used by LokiTorrent. They conferred regularly.

Referring to the website logs:

“Those access logs have no value it all. They only display whether you downloaded the .torrent file, not if you actually downloaded the content using that Torrent,” Paul explained to Slyck.

The Torrent file is merely a key; the MPAA can not prove that it was used in any locks.

Paul went on, “We both didn't log [seed and leech] information because first it would allow us to know too much about the people using the network and what they were sharing. 2nd it would require huge resources to keep track of all that. That's the tracker's job.”

At best, the information could be used in conjunction with other research to target “serial uploaders”. Much like the RIAA target those who share more than a set number of music tracks, the MPAA can now target those who have a history of trading Torrent files, although such a system would rely on static IP addresses.

But Paul does not believe that there will be enough information even for this.

“Logs files tend to grow at a rate of 1GB per day on this kind of site. Most site owners … either disable logging or purge the logs every few days. So there's little to no information for them,” he explained. “Perhaps Loki [Webber’s alias] even disabled his logging completely recently because of the large influx of new users.”

LokiTorrent did kept track of which Torrents each user had uploaded, but the information was stored in the database by username, rather than IP address.

The MPAA will find even less information in the logs for the trackers, which were also run by LokiTorrent. Unlike the website, the trackers do know who is uploading and downloading the actual files.

“Me and Loki both used XBTT as our tracker software. For a fact, XBTT is volatile, meaning that if you shut it down the active user list is immediately purged from memory and is NOT stored on disk,” Paul explained.

“The only thing they do know is who uploaded a torrent, but uploading and seeding is completely different. Even then, that information is only available for a few days [at most],” he concluded.

The MPAA would be able to gather more usage statistics and IP addresses by monitoring public trackers themselves. The announcement that they have acquired a roadmap to those behind file sharing appears to be nothing short of a scare tactic.

Paul also had a few words in defense of Webber, who has been accused of selling out those who donated to his legal defense fund, only to settle out of court.

“People should not think he ran with the money because he lost. Victory is not the only outcome of a costly lawsuit,” he said. “The gag order is the weirdest thing, it seems that it's purely there to prevent him from telling the truth.”
Source - Slyck (http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=665)

Peerzy
02-13-2005, 06:46 PM
That's not the one that Bill Clinton supposedly signed and which doesn't actually exist is it? :huh:

Or is there another real act which protects our privacy?

No this is a real act. ISP's are not allowed to see the data we download/upload and are not allowed to give that data away because it could contain sensative infomation such as credit card numbers and other things. Its invasion of privacy.

dsa16
02-14-2005, 10:06 PM
what are the chances of me getting into trouble for using loki

lynx
02-15-2005, 12:02 AM
what are the chances of me getting into trouble for using lokiIf the info posted on Slyck is correct, they haven't got a chance of proving anything against anyone. Their main intention is to frighten people which is why there is the big notice on lokitorrent's site, typical bully boy tactics.

RealitY
02-15-2005, 06:43 AM
Gone...
http://www.torrentstop.com/

sameer0807
02-15-2005, 07:20 AM
wasn't this website releated to lowkitorrent?

sameer0807
02-15-2005, 07:23 AM
If the info posted on Slyck is correct, they haven't got a chance of proving anything against anyone. Their main intention is to frighten people which is why there is the big notice on lokitorrent's site, typical bully boy tactics.

whatever it is...I'm pretty safe here in canada. In Canada file sharing is legal, but file uploading is illegal. I just dl so I'll be allright

RealitY
02-15-2005, 07:32 AM
Seem to remember the layout being closer to Torrentz which is also not reachable now...
http://www.torrentz.com/

Not sure though.

RealitY
02-15-2005, 07:37 AM
I just dl so I'll be allright
How is it you manage to do that on torrents then...

Broken
02-15-2005, 07:38 AM
TorrentStop was under the same management as Lokitorrent -Mr. Webber.

sameer0807
02-15-2005, 08:04 AM
TorrentStop was under the same management as Lokitorrent -Mr. Webber.

yep...that's what i thought!

No big suprise that TorrentStop got shut down.

Monkeee
02-15-2005, 08:23 AM
ok thank god.... just wondering if they got somewhere like filelist, or elitetorrents, would they be able to find out what people have dled since it has a ratio thingy.. cause if they did, people would be fucked

zeustke165
02-15-2005, 11:59 AM
ok thank god.... just wondering if they got somewhere like filelist, or elitetorrents, would they be able to find out what people have dled since it has a ratio thingy.. cause if they did, people would be fucked

Most ratio based sites will only keep track of how much data you have downloaded or uploaded not what, thus cannot be used in court, the only time that they can see what your downloading is while you are actually downloading, so simply stop your client and you dissapear, a good site will not even keep track of your IP address unless it is to ban you, and I dont think that the courts can build a case against someone who is not allowed to access a site... or atleast that is how it is at pisexy, security is number 1...

Broken
02-15-2005, 07:04 PM
Mufftorrent.com is back up, all torrents removed .
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v175/broken6/muff1.jpg

oscarxp
02-15-2005, 11:02 PM
Has anyone seen this website
http://www.shutdownthis.com/

There are websites that provide tethered downloads. We're not fooled

This website has been erected out of consumer outcry over the passing of sites that facilitate the free availability of perpetually copyrighted motion pictures. The unauthorized downloading of motion pictures denies thousands of dishonest, lazy executives of their crack smoking livelihood, and is the only way to bring an artistically bankrupt monopoly under control. Downloading movies without authorization violates laws distorted beyond their original intent, is not tangible theft, and is impossible to stop. You can't catch everyone. The only way to win is to stop waging war on your own customers and accept the fact that we are in control, not you. You brought this on yourselves.

http://www.shutdownthis.com/pics/catch.png
http://www.shutdownthis.com/pics/i_shot.png
http://www.shutdownthis.com/pics/mpaass.png

sArA
02-15-2005, 11:21 PM
Its nice to see the odd bit of snook tipping :)

DiRect
02-17-2005, 01:49 AM
Hi,
Yep.. torrentspy is the best lol.. well because all the other sites got shut down.. good thing i never donate :D.. ET better not get shut down lol.. i luv that site..

Regards,
DiRect

firefox
02-18-2005, 10:52 PM
the site www.uk-torrent.com has the same message now, they too have fallen.

Djtima
02-18-2005, 11:27 PM
lol how gay is that pic that they put on there

"you can click but you can't hide!!" omg lamez0rs

mikenmike0001
02-20-2005, 08:43 PM
fuck!! they keep shutting down torrent sites...DAMN IT!!! THEY BETTER NOT BE USING THIS FORUM as a place to find the next targets!....shit......this sucks....out of nowhere since janurary, all of this has been happening.....

S!X
02-20-2005, 11:49 PM
fuck!! they keep shutting down torrent sites...DAMN IT!!! THEY BETTER NOT BE USING THIS FORUM as a place to find the next targets!....shit......this sucks....out of nowhere since janurary, all of this has been happening.....

Yep :ph34r: