PDA

View Full Version : emacs (Delete a file)

Flametongue
02-11-2005, 06:01 PM
By using cd i am now in my home directory. I entered ls and a whole bunch of files appeared. Now is there any way to delete these files becasue i don't need them anymore and they are taking up space.

Cheers

backlash
02-11-2005, 08:49 PM
you entered what? I'm confused as to what you are saying. Is this a mac you're using? Please be clear about your system specs and try again.

ilw
02-11-2005, 09:29 PM
try typing

man rm

that should give you details on the remove (rm) command. But be careful in your use of the * wildcard. Remember there are probably hidden files in there as well which i don't think ls will list. typing

ls -l

should list everything and its details

uNz[i]
02-11-2005, 10:39 PM
you entered what? I'm confused as to what you are saying. Is this a mac you're using? Please be clear about your system specs and try again.
What is Emacs? (http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html)
Actually, I'd only seen Emacs used in Linux... didn't know you could use it in a Windows environment too. :huh: Interesting.

backlash
02-12-2005, 12:59 AM
interesting. learn a new thing every day.

Schuler
02-13-2005, 12:37 AM
try typing

man rm

that should give you details on the remove (rm) command. But be careful in your use of the * wildcard. Remember there are probably hidden files in there as well which i don't think ls will list. typing

ls -l

should list everything and its details

What he said. This of course is assuming you're in the terminal. You can also use rmdir, to remove the whole directory.

If you're in Emacs you can access the shell through Meta+! (alt+shift+1) or
exit Emacs through Ctrl+c x. Although I'm still quite confused as to how Emacs has anything to do with deleting the files. If you're new Linux look up a list on google of 'basic UNIX commands', that should help you out.