PDA

View Full Version : AVG Anti Virus or Norton Anti Virus 2004

Flametongue
02-12-2005, 04:51 PM
Out of the two thich would you say is better. I mean in terms of protection, detection etc.

Cheers

Peerzy
02-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Statistically Norton is far more effective, but i hate the way it works and the GUI.

{I}{K}{E}
02-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Statistically Norton is far more effective, but i hate the way it works and the GUI.

Symantec Antivirus Corp. ;)

Flametongue
02-12-2005, 04:58 PM
Continuing is it necessary to have a firewall. Will the windows internal firewall be enough or is another needed. If so can you recommend any freeones that do the job well and no need for serials or any crap like that.

Cheers

Peerzy
02-12-2005, 04:58 PM
Symantec Antivirus Corp. ;)

He was asking out of Norton & AVG not anything else :) Maybe he doesnt have a full valid copy of Symantec but does of Norton & AVG.

Flametongue
02-12-2005, 05:00 PM
I have full valid version of norton 2004 and avg i downloaded it for free from their site

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

Virtualbody1234
02-12-2005, 05:16 PM
Use your Norton AntiVirus and get Zone Alarm firewall: http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp

Peerzy
02-12-2005, 05:19 PM
The poor guy is asking if he should use AVG or Norton not what firewall or if Symantec is good :P

Flametongue
02-12-2005, 05:28 PM
lol

Snee
02-12-2005, 07:35 PM
Norton will probably find more viruses, but I prefer the AVG gui, and the fact that avg doesn't render your system unbootable(even if it has been uninstalled) if you try to install KAV instead later.

Oh and the protected wastebin is a piece of shite function too, if they still do that.

Peerzy
02-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Norton will probably find more viruses, but I prefer the AVG gui, and the fact that avg doesn't render your system unbootable(even if it has been uninstalled) if you try to install KAV instead later.

Oh and the protected wastebin is a piece of shite function too, if they still do that.

Yeah its almost like Norton hijacks your system itself. I tried version 7 or something a year or so ago and hated. It AVG looks much better but in tests didnt preform as well.

peat moss
02-12-2005, 07:55 PM

Ya snny that norton proctected recyled bin sucked . But its not included in NSW 2005 . My setup is NSW 2005 for the tools , and Symantec Corp for the antivirus. So far works fine . :)

Arm
02-12-2005, 08:31 PM
Screw Norton and AVG, get NOD32.

vidcc
02-12-2005, 08:31 PM
I am not a fan of nortons as it seems to be excessively heavy on resources. I have been testing avg on a spare machine that my daughter uses and it seems to work fine.

Peerzy
02-12-2005, 08:35 PM
I am not a fan of nortons as it seems to be excessively heavy on resources. I have been testing avg on a spare machine that my daughter uses and it seems to work fine.

In a test Norton missed 0 virii where as AVG missed a few thousand.

zapjb
02-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Sorry to deviate. But as I surmise, there are 2 questions posed. I will not restate them.
1. Avast! home edition is freeware & imo much better than the 2 mentioned.
2. Yes you must have a pf & xp's built-in is a pos. Sygate personal firewall is freeware & imo the best freeware firewall out there.

Peerzy
02-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Sorry to deviate. But as I surmise, there are 2 questions posed. I will not restate them.
1. Avast! home edition is freeware & imo much better than the 2 mentioned.
2. Yes you must have a pf & xp's built-in is a pos. Sygate personal firewall is freeware & imo the best freeware firewall out there.

1) In the latest test Norton came out as one of only four Av's that detected and removed every Virii known of. Avast did not detect them all.
2) He prob has a firewall and clearly isnt asking for one :rolleyes:

Snee
02-12-2005, 08:58 PM
"the latest test"? I've seen a lot of tests, in some norton doesn't do as well.

I've seen tests where Norton, KAV, NOD and even avg would catch 100% too.
The best way to judge whether an av is good is to look at a lot of tests, if it generally does well, then it's prolly good.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen avast do exceptionally well, tho'.

vidcc
02-12-2005, 08:59 PM
In a test Norton missed 0 virii where as AVG missed a few thousand.
which test?

Peerzy
02-12-2005, 09:02 PM
which test?

Check back a few pages, i don't have the link but IKE posted a thread about it.

Virtualbody1234
02-12-2005, 09:12 PM
2) He prob has a firewall and clearly isnt asking for one :rolleyes:

Maybe you should reread the thread instead criticizing others.

Post #4 of this thread:

Continuing is it necessary to have a firewall. Will the windows internal firewall be enough or is another needed. If so can you recommend any freeones that do the job well and no need for serials or any crap like that.

Cheers

:rolleyes:

Peerzy
02-12-2005, 09:14 PM
Maybe you should reread the thread instead criticizing others.

Post #4 of this thread:

:rolleyes:

Bah i missed that post, teaches me for being a smart ass :P

Also just to say i hate Norton and would never use it but the latest test shows that AVG preforms very poorly compared to it.

peat moss
02-12-2005, 09:17 PM
Check back a few pages, i don't have the link but IKE posted a thread about it.

Yes peerzy I read that too, so who the FUCK do you believe ? :whistling

Peerzy
02-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Yes peerzy I read that too, so who the FUCK do you believe ? :whistling

Maybe the results have been fiddled with how am i spose to know :huh:

Virtualbody1234
02-12-2005, 09:20 PM
Bah i missed that post, teaches me for being a smart ass :P
Yeah. :P

Mïcrösöül°V³
02-12-2005, 09:30 PM
I like norton, altho i use Mcafee enterprise ATM, but if resources are an issue get a faster PC with more ram, i have never noticed a resource issue with norton, cuz i have 3.3ghz with 512 ram (ram i have sux but still no issues)

peat moss
02-12-2005, 10:12 PM
I like norton, altho i use Mcafee enterprise ATM, but if resources are an issue get a faster PC with more ram, i have never noticed a resource issue with norton, cuz i have 3.3ghz with 512 ram (ram i have sux but still no issues)

This reply should should be pinned. Cus it's the truth . :)

Smith
02-13-2005, 12:46 AM
nod32

MagusDraco
02-13-2005, 07:23 AM
Eh...Norton system works 03 missed some viruses on my bro's comp (trojan actually). AVG got it. (probably'll just leave both of those on his comp though)

Chewie
02-13-2005, 10:40 AM

This is interesting.
I had SCS2 on this system and changed back to KAV5 a few months ago (heh, which missed 4 of the viruses SAV caught LOL) without a single issue.
I have a computer in my kitchen, however, that has been infected with several trojans (AVG installed, ladies n gentlemen), hotbar and CWS, on which SCS will not install (just rolls back half way through without notice) and although KAV installs, only the background service runs - there's no tray icon or kav.exe running and I'm not sure if it's protecting.

Whether it is protecting or not, this sutuation is not right and I cannot find a cause. I have scanned with Housecall, KAV, Spybot, Adaware, MS/Giant, X-Cleaner, Hijackthis and another that gave me instructions on removing hotbar reg keys. I have removed all activex downloads, emptied all temp directories (including to ones in localservice and networkservice), used regcleaner and AceUtilities to scan for faulty keys and manually trawled through the registry to track down anything odd.
This thing has beaten me at this moment in time. :(

Interestingly, I created another account and it ran in that until I deleted the original account (leaving just the one that XP boots straight into) and then it's pissing around again.

vidcc
02-13-2005, 09:21 PM

I am running very similar machines, some with more ram than that but minimum is 512 ram. The resourses issue becomes problematic if the progs. one runs require high resource usage as well or if one runs multiple programs.
If one is just running word processing or surfing the internet then the usage nortons takes up would probably not be so noticable