PDA

View Full Version : Place your bets.......

Jon L. Obscene
02-15-2005, 10:24 AM
Will I or wont I still have a job in 3 months?

Yes that shop (where I work) I was gonna buy has pretty much been sold, price agreed, stock valued and passed......Azz told he has to get out of the flat above (having only been there since 01/01/05)
There's 4 of us staff and we're all thinking the same.
The reason for this thinking is due to the .........erm.....Ethnic group the new owners belong to........so we either gonna lose our jobs or learn to say "Thank you! come again" and "PLease this is a shop not a library please now thank you"

:rolleyes:

So I'm in teh markey for new work, thinking I might go back on my own :01:

Jonno :cool:

TheDave
02-15-2005, 10:36 AM
unless maybe theres some kind of language problems i dont think you have to worry about ermmm....ethnic.....groups

Jon L. Obscene
02-15-2005, 10:40 AM
You don't reckon?

Cool :D I'm gonna tell the guys they have no need to worry.......cos my mate big Dave said so :01:

:P

Guillaume
02-15-2005, 10:41 AM
"Thank you! come again"

'cos you never said it before?

I'll never shop in your shop then... Can't stand bad-mannered shop attendants.

Can't stand englishmen too, but that is a completely different matter. :whistling

Jon L. Obscene
02-15-2005, 10:43 AM
:lol: No, I rarely say thank you, I generally say "Cheers" , but that's cos I'm a common Englishman :P

TheDave
02-15-2005, 10:50 AM
oh i reread the post. if they sack you i dont think its a race thing though, they'll just want to work different

Cheese
02-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Will I or wont I still have a job in 3 months?

Yes that shop (where I work) I was gonna buy has pretty much been sold, price agreed, stock valued and passed......Azz told he has to get out of the flat above (having only been there since 01/01/05)
There's 4 of us staff and we're all thinking the same.
The reason for this thinking is due to the .........erm.....Ethnic group the new owners belong to........so we either gonna lose our jobs or learn to say "Thank you! come again" and "PLease this is a shop not a library please now thank you"

:rolleyes:

So I'm in teh markey for new work, thinking I might go back on my own :01:

They'll probably just sack you for your prejudiced attitude. Racial stereotyping isn't cool.

I know this 'cos I saw it on one of those dumbass American shows all those fat bottomed yanks watch.

Jon L. Obscene
02-15-2005, 10:56 AM
@Dave....... Yeah I know that :rolleyes:

@Cheese...... You're so predictable, I was'nt being racist or predjudice, merely stating fact. If you think I'm being racist then it's more likely your own racial tendancies trying to cover up by accusing other people :P

TheDave
02-15-2005, 11:07 AM
The reason for this thinking is due to the .........erm.....Ethnic group the new owners belong to

if they sack you i dont think its a race thing though, they'll just want to work different

Yeah I know that

sorry i must have read it wrong

Jon L. Obscene
02-15-2005, 11:12 AM
What?
It's true, they will want to change things to their own way, bring in family members, which is the usual course or action when this particular ethnic group take over a shop.
I never said they would sack me cos I'm white, I simply meant thats how they work, whether I'm white, black , chinese or Samoan, they do like to keep it "In the family"
Anyone who disputes that is either not very worldly or simply saying whats politically correct for the sake of it :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm about to lose the only job I've ever liked and I'm a bit pissed off about it, I think thats fair comment.

TheDave
02-15-2005, 11:15 AM
i used to work in the indian shop even though its like a family run thing. http://moderation.invisionzone.com/style_emoticons/default/hiphop2.gif

Jon L. Obscene
02-15-2005, 11:22 AM
What kind of shop?
And where?

Having said all this, I could be wrong, they came in on Sunday, I made em both laugh, and they actually replied to conversation, unlike they other 5 viewers, who were also Indian, see thats what gets to me, does'nt matter what position you hold or what part of the world you're from, when someone says "Hello, how are you" it's generally polite to at least acknowledge that person no?
To be honest I feel sorry more for Azz, he's got a lil daughter and a new one on the way and has just lost his first home after only 6 weeks :(

TheDave
02-15-2005, 11:23 AM
most shops i know of are family things anyway, not just foreigners either. both local pc shops, the toy/model shop, 4 out of the 5 of the corner shops i can think of.

Jon L. Obscene
02-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Yeah funny enough tho, there's only 2 I can think of round here, both of which are fishmoungers, now you wanna talk predjudice...... :lol: Damn inbread fishermen :dry:

zedaxax
02-15-2005, 11:54 AM
http://img101.exs.cx/img101/1240/zzz9il.jpg

Jon L. Obscene
02-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Yeah but that could be difficult since my boss's atm are lesbiens :P

Jon L. Obscene
02-15-2005, 12:13 PM
Thank you JP, someone who actually read what I said the way I meant it to be read :)

And I can always find work, I don't believe in the saying "There's no work"
If you want it, it's there, just a matter of how willing you are.

manker
02-15-2005, 01:19 PM
Whenever a small business changes hands, it's inevitable that some of the employees will lose their jobs. This has nothing whatsoever to do with ethnicity, simply that the new owners will want to do things their own way. To imply ethnicity as a reason is incorrect.

However, I hope you don't lose your job, Jonno - either that or you get another one where you can be a lazy, idle good for nowt ;)

bigboab
02-15-2005, 01:27 PM
Watch what you say Jonno. These Fishmongers keep a lot of 'real' fishermen in jobs. :) :ph34r: O.K. they rob them in the process, but that is neither here or there, it is in Sheringham. :lol: :lol:

lynx
02-15-2005, 01:33 PM
either that or you get another one where you can be a lazy, idle good for nowt ;)That's a good idea, get manker's job. :P

manker
02-15-2005, 01:34 PM
That's a good idea, get manker's job. :PHoi! There's only room for one lazy, idle good for nowt junior teamaking bank clerk's assistant in t'UK :D

Guillaume
02-15-2005, 01:35 PM
[/waits for action, eating pop corn]

:eat:

Skweeky1
02-15-2005, 02:03 PM
Well.. let's be honest here without dragging in the words racism and hypocrisy...

It is getting a wee bit of a problem. Anyone who's ever been to Alisson Street and Cathcart Road in Glasgow (Shawlands) knows what it looks like. Although very charming, and great to shop because of all the exotic varieties it is almost impossible to do business there if you're white...

TheDave
02-15-2005, 02:13 PM
what do you mean by do business?

Skweeky1
02-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Open a business, get a contract,etc...

manker
02-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Well.. let's be honest here without dragging in the words racism and hypocrisy...

It is getting a wee bit of a problem. Anyone who's ever been to Alisson Street and Cathcart Road in Glasgow (Shawlands) knows what it looks like. Although very charming, and great to shop because of all the exotic varieties it is almost impossible to do business there if you're white...I don't know about that.

In my job - see above ;) - I have to deal with a lot of different races and sure, each has it's own peculiarities. I'm talking of different areas too, not just disticint races. You need to understand their requirements before you can properly do business with them. If you're willing to research what these particular nuances are then you'll reap the rewards.

If you're not willing to find out what they require from you then you'll likely be passed over for someone that has done their homework. Obviously, no matter where people are from, they all want the same thing - to make some money. It's a case of tapping into that, rather than it being a case of 'it being impossible to do business there if you're white'.

TheDave
02-15-2005, 02:16 PM
you reckon they wont let you open a business if you're white?

Skweeky1
02-15-2005, 02:25 PM
Right...

manker... you're a bank clerk, which is just a wee bit different from a sales job.
What Jonno says it's true. People like to keep their business in the family, or at least within a circle of people they know.
It's not about the fact that they're Indian or Pakistani or whatever. It's about the fact that it is a mini-community, almost impossible to penetrate. It's not like you can blame them, we've done the same thing to them for ages. It's just a shame. Both groups could benefit immensely from some cooperation, but at the moment there isn't any.

Edit:
To clarify, I, and other people in my company have loads of other contracts with Indians or Pakistani. So I think that we know by now what kind of things they require. When bringing up the issue mentioned above, most of them agree that at this point of time there is a certain sense of intollerance within those communities.

manker
02-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Right...

manker... you're a bank clerk, which is just a wee bit different from a sales job.
What Jonno says it's true. People like to keep their business in the family, or at least within a circle of people they know.
It's not about the fact that they're Indian or Pakistani or whatever. It's about the fact that it is a mini-community, almost impossible to penetrate. It's not like you can blame them, we've done the same thing to them for ages. It's just a shame. Both groups could benefit immensely from some cooperation, but at the moment there isn't any.I'm not a bank clerk, I was joking.

What I wrote is correct, non-white people want to make money too. You have to devise a way to help them understand that your company can assist them in doing that. So you meet some initial barriers, overcome them.

That's all there is to it. The ethnic communities in Glasgow are no different to the ones around where I live.

Skweeky1
02-15-2005, 02:41 PM
See above

Debates like this always end up in nothing by the way.
There's a different between not being racist and being too blind to recognise a problem.
What most people don't seem to get... if you are not willing to admit there is a problem with the other party as well. You're just as bad as those people who blame everything on someone else, only you're doing the opposite.

It is a fact that there is an immigration problem. Not only in Britain, also in Belgium, the Netherlands etc... And we're not getting any further in solving it just because anyone who speaks up and dares to say something negative gets shot down immediately.

manker
02-15-2005, 02:48 PM
See above

Debates like this always end up in nothing by the way.
There's a different between not being racist and being too blind to recognise a problem.
What most people don't seem to get... if you are not willing to admit there is a problem with the other party as well. You're just as bad as those people who blame everything on someone else, only you're doing the opposite.

It is a fact that there is an immigration problem. Not only in Britain, also in Belgium, the Netherlands etc... And we're not getting any further in solving it just because anyone who speaks up and dares to say something negative gets shot down immediately.I did see the above, and noticed this:

it is almost impossible to do business there if you're white...
To clarify, I, and other people in my company have loads of other contracts with Indians or Pakistani. So I think that we know by now what kind of things they require.So which is it. Either it's almost impossible or other people in your company have loads of contracts.

There are communities that I do work for which are much harder to relate to than the Asian community, for example, and their heritage has been Welsh for centuries.

This is not an immigration problem, it's a problem inherent in society - a problem which is not insurmountable if you're willing to put in the research and find out exactly what these people want from you.

I can see the problem to which you refer, but it's nothing to do with race, it might just be because you're wearing a suit, or your car is a bit flash or because you didn't know how to set up an appointment properly. It can be for any number of reasons but the best way to avoid these barriers is to learn about them properly before you try to get any money out of them.

Jon L. Obscene
02-15-2005, 02:56 PM
LMAO! I love it when you guys get all politically correct, when you all know damn well that when a pakistani family takes over a small town corner shop, 99% of the time the staff will be shunted out...........and before you jump on me, we've also been lied to, when they first enquired about buying it, the hours and staff and accomodation above was to stay the same.
How it stands now, Azz is out in 2!! months , he has a baby girl and another on the way and only been there 6 weeks.
Hours are to change, staying open later and expecting us to work it.
They said they had no family, yet today they turned up with 2 brothers, a sister and 4 kids.

So to me, reguardless of whether or not they can do what they want (which they can) as far as I can see they have used lies and deceet to get the shop.
Not a good start.

And I tell you now, if we staff go, at least 50% of trade will go with us, that's a fact whther you dispute it or not, people don't just come in for their shopping, they come in for a chat, for a giggle......it's a small shop with 90% the same customers every day , not a robotic supermarket.

Thats all a bit babbled but I'm just pointing a few things out.

I'm not rascist, I merely state fact how it is in the town I live in. A small town with maybe an Asian community of 100 people if that. So before anyone goes on about where they live it's different...just think, you're not in Sheringham and you don't know what my town is like.

Thank you, I will now step down from teh soapy box :01:

manker
02-15-2005, 02:59 PM
Isn't Azzz a bit young to be the head of a family :unsure:

I see where you're coming from Jonno - and once again, I don't think you're racist :lol:

TheDave
02-15-2005, 03:02 PM
i agree with manker. i dont think racism or political correctness has any sway getting to own a shop. however small shops are often family run things regardless of race or background.

Jon L. Obscene
02-15-2005, 03:02 PM
No you muppet, not Azzz..........Azz :P :lol:

Nah, he's the other lad I work with, he's 21, and he's major paranoid about losing his job, I'm not that bothered cept for the fact that I do enjoy it a lot, I have a lot of fun at work most of the time and the hours suit me perfect.

Skweeky1
02-15-2005, 03:03 PM
I am talking about a specific area. Not about a specific group.
We have no problems getting new contracts or maintaining existing contracts in other areas, but it is a problem there.

Don't you think that the effort should come both ways? To be honest, I had to try very hard to get accepted here when I first moved here, so I know what racism feels like.

But ok, let's not call it a racial problem, yet a cultural one then at least.
It's like JP was saying, there are situations where you cannot win because of something in their view they are not willing to change.
And I don't think that is right or fair.
When you say that I should put the research in to find out what these people want from me, well I do. In a more accurate way and more in detail than you can imagine for reasons that do not only refer to the sales part of my job.
I'm sorry to say, but the effort is usually one way. And to state otherwise it to belittle a community that has a bit of a problem at the moment. And that in my eyes, is even worse that being racist.

How do you think people would react if there were a community of nothing but white christians who refused to do business with none other than white christians? How long would it last before words as nazi would surface? It's the same idea...

It shouldn't be like this. Not from either sides.

Jon L. Obscene
02-15-2005, 03:04 PM
I would just like to point you all in the direction of the jokes made in the cartoon program about this chap..........

http://www.angelfire.com/yt/scully2/images/apu.jpg

:P

Edit: Damnit, pic no work....... Link (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.angelfire.com/yt/scully2/images/apu.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.angelfire.com/yt/scully2/page3.html&h=263&w=464&sz=103&tbnid=cdCWvZj5Vj4J:&tbnh=70&tbnw=123&start=74&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dapu%26start%3D60%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN)

TheDave
02-15-2005, 03:08 PM
where i live people from different cultures work for each other, its just easier that way. even if there is swastikas painted on a wall at the train station and "BNP OUT" painted on the pub :unsure:

manker
02-15-2005, 03:16 PM
I am talking about a specific area. Not about a specific group.
We have no problems getting new contracts or maintaining existing contracts in other areas, but it is a problem there.

Don't you think that the effort should come both ways? To be honest, I had to try very hard to get accepted here when I first moved here, so I know what racism feels like.

But ok, let's not call it a racial problem, yet a cultural one then at least.
It's like JP was saying, there are situations where you cannot win because of something in their view they are not willing to change.
And I don't think that is right or fair.
When you say that I should put the research in to find out what these people want from me, well I do. In a more accurate way and more in detail than you can imagine for reasons that do not only refer to the sales part of my job.
I'm sorry to say, but the effort is usually one way. And to state otherwise it to belittle a community that has a bit of a problem at the moment. And that in my eyes, is even worse that being racist.

How do you think people would react if there were a community of nothing but white christians who refused to do business with none other than white christians? How long would it last before words as nazi would surface? It's the same idea...

It shouldn't be like this. Not from either sides.
Yup, I can see what you're getting at but with one major disagreement. You're selling something so it should be you putting in all the effort. When I get a sales rep here I do business with the one that I like the most - the one who makes me laugh or takes me out to a decent restaurant.

Not that I get to pick and choose that much, but I'm fooked if I'm going to make an effort for someone who wants to make money out of me.

It's the other way around if I'm after someone's money tho' - I'll make all of the effort and expect none in return.

Skweeky1
02-15-2005, 03:18 PM
Yeah true. You can reach a much bigger clientele if you have more than one ethnic background in a business. It only has benefits for everyone

Skweeky1
02-15-2005, 03:20 PM
Of course, where it comes to the sales part. Not where it concerns basic polite conversation.

Jon L. Obscene
02-15-2005, 03:20 PM
Looks like the Boss's lied too, they said the deals not done , yet this morning 2 letters arrived in the new owners name :dry:

Why does everyone lie so much ffs?

TheDave
02-15-2005, 03:23 PM
maybe its just eager buyers

manker
02-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Of course, where it comes to the sales part. Not where it concerns basic polite conversation.But we're talking about business.

I've never had a problem with polite conversation, but then I don't tend to engage in it with strangers that often ... .

Edit: I was in the hairdressers this morning and I really could have done without the polite conversation :dry:

Skweeky1
02-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Yeah... of course there is always business involved.
One day I had an Indian guy with me for observation. I walked into one of the shops and asked if I could please speak to the owner as I was representing IPG Imports.
The guy turned around and screamed 'it's that white whore from IPG again'.... In Indian, or whatever language it was of course
Had never been into that business before...

Things like that... No matter if you're trying to do business or not. That's just unacceptable. That's prejudice :(

manker
02-15-2005, 03:31 PM
I totally agree, there are prejudiced idiots in all walks of life.

That was just plain nasty :(

Skweeky1
02-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Well, that's what I mean.
There are no problems in any other part. But that particular community seems to be very prejudiced towards other cultures for some reason.

TheDave
02-15-2005, 03:37 PM
maybe its cos they can consider others as outsiders. theres always the special cases, i doubt everyone is there is like that

manker
02-15-2005, 03:43 PM
Well, that's what I mean.
There are no problems in any other part. But that particular community seems to be very prejudiced towards other cultures for some reason.What I'm saying is that there are always prejudiced idiots that will do things like that.

One example of anecdotal evidence does not make up for all the inter-community trade that goes on all over the UK. This makes the immigration argument you suggested earlier appear ill conceived.

I can see your point, I merely disagree with your rationale in reaching it.

zedaxax
02-15-2005, 03:43 PM
I bet Jonno will find what he wants.

Skweeky1
02-15-2005, 03:45 PM
ghettofied... that's the word I was looking for

Thanks

Jon L. Obscene
02-15-2005, 03:47 PM
I bet Jonno will find what he wants.

Explain..........me no understand :unsure:

hobbes
02-15-2005, 03:50 PM
Yeah funny enough tho, there's only 2 I can think of round here, both of which are fishmoungers, now you wanna talk predjudice...... Damn inbread fishermen

Jonno

Now, if this misspelling is intentional, I doff my cap to the subtle humor. He takes a poke at fisherman, but gets in a bonus jab by making the reader picture "breaded fish", and makes user snicker at those silly breaded fisherman.

If it was not intentional, then some sort of fine should be levied.

Ya, I read the whole thread and that's all I got. Let me get my morning coffee.

DarthInsinuate
02-15-2005, 04:02 PM

some money down the back of the sofa, i wish i had a sofa, i need money

zedaxax
02-15-2005, 04:03 PM

is this job that you are loosing THE perfect job, is it the one you can imagine yourself in for the rest of your mortal days?

probably not as you obviously didnt react fast enough (or maybe too little cash & why not?)

so if this one goes by by - change tends to be good - and maybe next oportunity you will be first and know what you want.

(this free info was brought to by somebody who seriously needs to get hjis act together)

Jon L. Obscene
02-15-2005, 04:10 PM
I did look into buying it, if thats what you mean by not acting fast enough?
I could'nt afford it, would have meant I'd be running it alone and working 100 hours plus per week for maybe £100 if I'm lucky, that would be for the first 5 or 6 years.
Did'nt fancy that lol

Oh I'm not worried about finding work, never been a problem for me, I'll just got back to working for myself, but the point is, I do like my job a lot, I never moan about having to go work, cept the one morning a week I have to do, but most of the time I'm happy to go work, thats the main reason I'll be pissed off if I lose it.

Oh and to answer your question: No I would'nt be in this job 4ever, but atm I'm happy in my work. :)

zedaxax
02-15-2005, 04:25 PM
good to hear you can always work for yourself as is wanting to take over the place - which is the same thing no?
instead of working within a large company.
good for you.

hobbes
02-15-2005, 04:37 PM
I actually completely agree with Skweeky.

I will use "Asians" for the example:

If you have something to offer that he cannot get to from another Asian, then he will bend to accomodate you, as Jpol stated. It is to your benefit in structuring a business agreement if you have done your homework about a client and understand his cultural backround.

Many immigrants today are either trained professionals or professionals in training, others are people of means. The "wretched refuse" are no longer allowed. Those professionals who wish to work in scientific research, computers, aerospace or whatever, must adapt to the facilities available. That is why most scientific communities offer a broad ethnic profile. No ethnic group has the resources to establish such a vast enterprise, an enterprise which usually remains solvent by relying on government funding. These people are bending to the society, as they have no choice. These are the people about whom we say, "I work with lots of Asians, Indians, and Pakistani's, they seem pretty cool to me, we all get along."

Now, to Skweekys' point, it does not matter what she says or what she knows, she is being excluded from trade simply because she is white. There is absolutely nothing she can do. If it were the opposite, people would be screaming bloody racist murder. Why can we not call these little racist communities exactly that.

As Biggles pointed out (in a different thread), these people usually fade into the culture in the next generation, but we have a strong thriving ChinaTown in San Francisco which has been there since 1911. You can grow up there and never learn English. You want to try and sell something there, buy property there, forget it.

Chinatown is considered a quaint tourist location because it has no real control of the city and people can either go there or not, but it represents a microcosm of the problem of other cultures coming to a land and creating mini-versions of their homelands that are exclusionary to the actual people of that country.

That pisses me off, I don't think it is healthy for that society. Why can they flaunt racism, and we must hold our tongues?

Skweeky1
02-15-2005, 04:45 PM
Thank you for clarifying my point hobbes.

That is exactly what I meant. It is not a healthy evolution to create enclaves so they don't have to adapt.
It is racism going to the other extreme, which is just as bad.

Lilmiss
02-15-2005, 06:42 PM
Hope everything works out ok, Chunks.
And if it does fall through, at least you have the experience to add to your c.v.
I shall cross me eyes for you, although I'm doing that anyhoo.

I've been told today, not only am I gonna get a decent wage rise, but also they will backdate it to the time I took on the position. :w00t:

Wrong thread to brag in, huh? :unsure:

Jon L. Obscene
02-15-2005, 07:36 PM
lol yeah thanks for that lilmissy :lol:

btw, you ever been to the Caladonian?

Lilmiss
02-16-2005, 12:02 AM
Yeah, teh cally for a swally.

Why? Are they holding a ash tray amnesty? :ph34r:

Jon L. Obscene
02-16-2005, 10:42 AM
lol, I just wondered cos Gez who I work with worked there for years but has now moved here (bout 2 years ago) but she goes back every few months for a session in teh Cally :01:

Just thought it was a bit freaky is all :D