PDA

View Full Version : time to upgrade Again

BawA
02-16-2005, 12:49 PM
hey guys..
ok so am going to upgrade my system and i need some recommendation's.
all below things should be latest models.
1) a new CPU: whats the last pentium series rolling in market, all i know its PIV 3.X or i should wait for new series of intel prossesor if thier coming out any soon. and probably a new MOBO if my current doesnt support 3Ghz series(Gigabyte GA-8PE800), i bought it about a year ago and a label on the box says "supports PIV 3.X" but i doubt it if it can support 3.4 and above.
2)a 100Gb above HDD: i heared westren digital is best among HDD's, RPM is importent, the one i got is 7200RPm(Maxtor).
3)a New speaker System not much expensive as some of u may know am not much in Music's.
4)A sensitve, wirless(not infrared mybe bluetooth if the device come with it) with rechargable battries

SingaBoiy
02-16-2005, 12:53 PM
I suggest a 160 or 200 GB hd. They are the biggest you can get for the best price:size ratio (roughly 2 GB per US dollar).

BawA
02-16-2005, 12:54 PM
suggest a name please, and the RPM speed.

SingaBoiy
02-16-2005, 01:02 PM
I prefer WD. 7,200 RPM. I havent had any problems with Hitachi either.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-145-062&depa=1
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-140&depa=1

Ive only had one Samsung but it lasted atleast 6 yrs through me and my brother.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-152-014&depa=1

bigdawgfoxx
02-16-2005, 01:45 PM
I think most people will recommend you Seagate. They have the longest warranty, 5 years, and are the quietest. I love my 160GB one.

I would go with an athlon 64 setup.

BawA
02-16-2005, 01:54 PM
hmm waranty is not a big deal, who needs a exchange after losing all of thier data :lol:
i had seagate and it was quiet i dont know why some people recommended me maxtor and once i bought 2 of them, the last one(120Gb) makes sounds as hell and i think my poor windows proformence(exploring between folders) is becuz of it. some1 told me these sounds r normall cuz of capacity, were they right?

Virtualbody1234
02-16-2005, 02:07 PM
... some1 told me these sounds r normall cuz of capacity, were they right?
No. I have a 160 GB Seagate and it's quiet.

I too recommend you look into Athlon 64.

Btw. What is your budget and what will be the primarily use of the computer?

lynx
02-16-2005, 02:44 PM
According to Gigabyte, the fastest chip your mobo supports is the P4-Northwood 3.06G (HT) with fastest FSB as 533MHz, so it certinaly won't support the latest Intel chips (not even Celeron D :sick: ).

Athlon 64 (socket 939) is the way to go, especially when the recent price cuts filter through.

Looks like the fastest P4 chip is currently the 3.8 GHz model 570J (Socket 775), but I bet that is VERY expensive.

Peerzy
02-16-2005, 02:50 PM
hmm waranty is not a big deal, who needs a exchange after losing all of thier data :lol:
?

Me. I lost all my data and the drive broke, leaving me £100 down and no computer ;)

AMD64 bit all the way. It'll coswt you half as much as be the same power untill 64bit Windows comes out then you get something like a 23% proformance increase. Also whats your ram? 7200 is the fastest RPM you can get without cutting the size of your hard drive down alot. Clocker has a 36g 10,000RPM he was selling i think. There great for primary drives as they boot windows and explore folders ultra fast.

BawA
02-16-2005, 03:58 PM
hmm u got the point, i can use a small and Fast drive for OS and get a bigger size HDD for my files.
now am confused

Peerzy
02-16-2005, 05:55 PM
now am confused

Your life story. There are five things that vary on a hard drive

1)Make (WD, Maxtor and so on)
2)Size (20GB, 120GB, 300GB and so on)
3)RPM (5400, 7200, 10000)
4)Cache (2Mb, 8Mb, 16Mb)
5)Type (SATA, IDE)

Make isnt really important, i find they all work as good as each other, i go for the cheapest usually. Size is how big you want it. RPM is speed, 7200 is pritty much what everyone has, you can spend more money and loose Size but increase your RPM to 10000. Cache is also the speed it works. 2Mb is pritty weak and 8Mb only costs maybe £5 more. 16Mb is amazing but is only on SATA drives. IDE is the standard, CD Rom's use it most HDD's use it. SATA is a new type of connection it needs drivers but the drive preforms much faster.

So the perfect HDD setup imo is:

Drive 1) 40GB 'Raptor' 10000 RPM 8Mb Cache (I think thats the highest cache they do)
Drive 2) 160Gb/200Gb SATA 7200 RPM 16Mb Cache

Thats 200Gb/240Gb of space with a very fast loading windows and a second drive for downloads and games that will preform extreamly well when loading files (Games) and un-raring and burning files.

Mïcrösöül°V³
02-16-2005, 07:44 PM
i would definitely get the raptor 10000rpm sata drive. my freind has it along with 1gb dual channel ram 3.2ghz HT, and i never seen a computer fly like that. games are awesome on that thing. I can compare results because we have the same mobo. i have 3.0ghz, and that is the only difference. that drive DRASTICALLY improves performance IMO.

Virtualbody1234
02-16-2005, 08:27 PM
... 16Mb is amazing but is only on SATA drives...
Not true. The 16 MB is also available on IDE:

Check this link and look at models 6B250R0 and 6B300R0. Maxtor IDE 250 GB and 300 GB with 16 MB cache.

http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/data_sheets/diamondmax_10_data_sheet.pdf

Peerzy
02-16-2005, 10:04 PM
Not true. The 16 MB is also available on IDE:

Check this link and look at models 6B250R0 and 6B300R0. Maxtor IDE 250 GB and 300 GB with 16 MB cache.

http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/data_sheets/diamondmax_10_data_sheet.pdf

My bad i had only seen it on SATA but VB is right :)

clocker
02-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Were I able to start again I think I'd go for the 76GB Raptor over the baby version.
The big boy has lower seek times and is generally considered to be the best performer of the pair.

but VB is right
What did you expect?
He is a robot.
Which explains why he took to Linux so easily.

Virtualbody1234
02-16-2005, 10:34 PM
Is there really a noticeable difference with the Raptor over a 7200 RPM?

About being a robot... Talk about "the pot calling the kettle black".

I thought I was vulcanized. I guess i'm a Vulcanized robot. The possibilities are virtually 2,734 to 2,867 that I am...

clocker
02-17-2005, 01:47 AM
Is there really a noticeable difference with the Raptor over a 7200 RPM?

About being a robot... Talk about "the pot calling the kettle black".

Define "noticable difference".
Oh nevermind, the answer to your question is "Not really".
One would like to think that the money spent on a Raptor ( even if it was purchased secondhand as mine was) is justified, but I'm not sure how that could be quantified short of breaking out a stopwatch.
My Seagates bench just short of the Raptor using HDTach and the difference is so minute that I don't think it could be detected by a human (which exempts both you and I, VB).
I have read of owners who claim their Raptors (or HDD of choice) make the PC "feel smoother" and "crisper", but to me, these are nonsense terms in the context of a computer and seem to be justification rather than explanation.

On the other hand, I could be a totally insensitive dolt- not capable of experiencing the nuanced improvement offered by a drive with the highest dollar per gigabyte ratio known to man.

BTW,
I have never stooped so low as to call any kettle black.
Many of my best friends are cast iron and it would be ridiculous to discriminate on the basis of material.

Those copper SOBs on the other hand....they can just rot in hell.

Now I have to go wash out my mouth with soap.
I hope you're happy.

Virtualbody1234
02-17-2005, 02:38 AM
It's good to know that there isn't a marked performance improvement.

... I could be a totally insensitive dolt- not capable of experiencing the nuances...
Hmmm. :angel_not

bigdawgfoxx
02-17-2005, 03:03 AM
He probably doesnt want to spend a ton of money..At this point I would recommend him a nice 160 or 200GB Seagate 8mb drive...sata if you have the capabilities.

I would also recommend an Athlon 64 system.

Clocker...I liked you post about not seeing much difference in the raptor..and totally understand how people say it is faster and smoother...but only because its SUPPOSED to be..not because it is. I was thinking of going for a small one maybe..but I dont go through windows folders much at all so I think i will be staying with 7200RPM.

SingaBoiy
02-17-2005, 03:48 AM
Might as well get a hd with 15,000 RPM. :)

zeustke165
02-17-2005, 03:57 AM
The raptors are genernerally useless unless your running a small file or database server where you have very High I/O, on standard apps and games their performance does not justify their price, basically for most people they are a waste, and money would be better spent on size. PATA vs. SATA no performance increase once again when using only one drive, but benifit of SATA is each drive has dedicated bus, so if your gonna have multiple HD's then SATA makes sense. The different cache sizes, 2MB, 8MB, 16MB once again, are good only for fast transfers of smaller files, and High I/O, any kind of streaming data transfer wouldn't care what buffer you have...

Mïcrösöül°V³
02-17-2005, 04:15 AM
Might as well get a hd with 15,000 RPM. :)
i thought about doing that myself, but by the time you buy the drives and the freaking controller, youre in it for quite a few bucks, plus all the diff scsi, like ultra, and some other shit.....blah, to hard and expensive for me to bother:) but like i said earlier about the raptor. I also feel its a bit pricey for the size, but i can tell the difference, because my buddy and mine comps are the same. i have a 40gb 7200 thats about half full, and so is his raptor, and there is def a difference between them imo. he notices it when hes on my pc. he had the same drive i currently have, so to be fair, we waited until he had more apps and more stuff on the drive to see if it slowed down, and yes it slows performance from a fresh install, but with marginally the same load on each pc, his is way faster even still. thats why i was thinking of getting one. or i may get one of the ones with the new NCQ technology, which i read is sposed to make regular sata drives perform close to the raptors for much cheaper. :) seagate has em here http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-148-040&depa=0 you guys know anything about these type of hdds?

clocker
02-17-2005, 04:47 AM
or i may get one of the ones with the new NCQ technology, which i read is sposed to make regular sata drives perform close to the raptors for much cheaper. :) seagate has em here http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-148-040&depa=0 you guys know anything about these type of hdds?
Yes, I just built a PC that had two Seagate NCQ enabled SATA drives ( along with a bunch of other goodies).
Just like the Raptor, I don't know how one would actually define the effectiveness of this technology.
The PC is a rocketship, and far exceeded the customer's expectations, but how can one isolate the NCQ ability of the HDDs and say that it is good or bad or indifferent?
I don't know.

*BTW, we finally did get the Plextor SATA DVD-RW working in this rig.
All it took was setting it up in the RAID controller and enabling RAID in the BIOS. Why this worked is a mystery to me, but it did.

Mïcrösöül°V³
02-17-2005, 05:00 AM
i did a little reading on the matter of raptors, and it seems they are not all they are cracked up to be in most real world situations, but they are good drives, just may not be worth all the cash.hmmmm......google really is your friend......wonder why my friends pc has betterness over mine after he changed to the raptor :( will have to investigate further. :)

zeustke165
02-17-2005, 05:06 AM
i did a little reading on the matter of raptors, and it seems they are not all they are cracked up to be in most real world situations, but they are good drives, just may not be worth all the cash.hmmmm......google really is your friend......wonder why my friends pc has betterness over mine after he changed to the raptor :( will have to investigate further. :)

One reason is your 40 GB HD is a couple years old, even if you got it within the year the actual design is 2 years behind the curve, and thus will be slower, if you compare the raptor to any current name brand 7200RPM HD with 8MB cache then you'll see they're pretty even for most applications, the raptor will win in all small file high I/O categories, but most people do not run file servers or database servers from their homes...

bigdawgfoxx
02-17-2005, 12:22 PM
Just because yall have the same board and same chip, doesnt mean performance will be the same. He might have better drivers, and you mentioned gameplay, that has a lot to do with graphics card. He also might defrag once a week, you might not ever. He might have just done a fresh install of windows..just some other things to look at.

BawA
02-18-2005, 05:28 AM
1)Make (WD, Maxtor and so on)
2)Size (20GB, 120GB, 300GB and so on)
3)RPM (5400, 7200, 10000)
4)Cache (2Mb, 8Mb, 16Mb)
5)Type (SATA, IDE)

Make isnt really important, i find they all work as good as each other, i go for the cheapest usually. Size is how big you want it. RPM is speed, 7200 is pritty much what everyone has, you can spend more money and loose Size but increase your RPM to 10000. Cache is also the speed it works. 2Mb is pritty weak and 8Mb only costs maybe £5 more. 16Mb is amazing but is only on SATA drives. IDE is the standard, CD Rom's use it most HDD's use it. SATA is a new type of connection it needs drivers but the drive preforms much faster.

So the perfect HDD setup imo is:

Drive 1) 40GB 'Raptor' 10000 RPM 8Mb Cache (I think thats the highest cache they do)
Drive 2) 160Gb/200Gb SATA 7200 RPM 16Mb Cache

Thats 200Gb/240Gb of space with a very fast loading windows and a second drive for downloads and games that will preform extreamly well when loading files (Games) and un-raring and burning files.

ok thats a big help thanks
but the problem is i dont want to TRF my OS backup to a new HDD and use it as primery and use my current for files, last time i did this kinda of shifting everything pretty screwed up and i lost my HDD(it just stoped functioning for no particular reason) thanks god i had made a new backup just incase something goes wrong. what i want is to install a good HDD(quiet, fast and reliable) just for My files.

next is MOBO and Prossesor, forget about AMD... thier reputation is pretty bad here and i personaly dont think thier as good as Intel.
suggest a good MOBO and latest pentium.

u guys may think how am affording the prices, well as some u may know am working in bank and we have some clients in computer whole saling field so i can get these stuff very cheap, so price is not a big matter :lol:

bigdawgfoxx
02-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Well I would go for the Seagate 300Gb Sata HDD here (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-148-064&depa=0)

A 74Gb WD Raptor here (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-160&depa=0)

A 3.6Ghz P4 here (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-191&depa=0)

I dont know much about Intel Mobos, but you cant go wrong with this one im sure here (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-516&depa=0)

I know you wont be buying from here but this is just so you can look at them.

Virtualbody1234
02-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Edit: Nevermind...

BawA
02-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Well I would go for the Seagate 300Gb Sata HDD here (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-148-064&depa=0)

A 74Gb WD Raptor here (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-160&depa=0)

A 3.6Ghz P4 here (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-191&depa=0)

I dont know much about Intel Mobos, but you cant go wrong with this one im sure here (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-516&depa=0)

I know you wont be buying from here but this is just so you can look at them.

Asus MOBO's r not good enough, we used to have them in school and u know schools usually go with cheapts :lol:
ill go with GigaByte with Intel Cheapset

Edit:
About the HDD i think a 160Gb is enough for me.
can somebody tell me whats diffrent in these two
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-148-034&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-148-038&depa=0

clocker
02-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Besides the fact that one has NCQ, look at the warrantee.
The cheaper has a five year guarantee (odd,eh?).

BawA
02-18-2005, 02:31 PM
i didnt ment these days
anyway what does NCQ stand for

Peerzy
02-18-2005, 02:58 PM
I would strongly advise you to go AMD. Ruling them out because they have a bad rep wher eyou live is such a stupid reason seeing as in alot of peoples opinions they are far better than the Intel line of chips.

clocker
02-18-2005, 08:09 PM
i didnt ment these days
anyway what does NCQ stand for
"Native Command Queing".
Basically the HDD searches for data based on the most efficient pathway as opposed to the order of the request.
Your board must support this feature in order to utilize it, but the drive is backwards compatable and a future board of yours WILL support it.

Formula1
02-18-2005, 09:25 PM
I would strongly advise you to go AMD. Ruling them out because they have a bad rep wher eyou live is such a stupid reason seeing as in alot of peoples opinions they are far better than the Intel line of chips.

True. People just need to realize, speed doesnt mean better performance. AMD's is way cheaper , plus they are the best cpu's for playing pc games ( Athlon 64's that is).... And pretty soon pentuium 4's 32 bit will be out of date...

zeustke165
02-18-2005, 10:19 PM
The question between Intel and AMD goes like this, what is your priority, AMD is best at Gaming and file compression, and Intel does video and audio encoding and decoding the best, the price per performance of both is very close, so pick on what your trying to maximize...

Peerzy
02-18-2005, 11:50 PM
The question between Intel and AMD goes like this, what is your priority, AMD is best at Gaming and file compression, and Intel does video and audio encoding and decoding the best, the price per performance of both is very close, so pick on what your trying to maximize...

An AMD 3200 64bit is about level at a 3.2Ghz Intel chip right now. When 64bit Windows is released the AMD gets a massive 22% increase in proformance. Also AMD is £109.99 where as the Intel is £159.90.