PDA

View Full Version : silver and bleach

Money Fist
02-16-2005, 02:31 PM
about 5mins ago i put part of my silver chain in som bleach to clean it
took it out after 1min and now it looks like a crappy grey colour

any scientists or jewlers care to answer

im sure it is real silver
it has the correct markings and was bought from a well known catalog that sez its silver

Money Fist
02-16-2005, 02:42 PM
http://aa.1asphost.com/desper8/silver.jpg

here is a crappy picture i took with my phone (just gives an idea)
the red circle shows were it got bleached!
it dont even shine or reflect now like it used to

i tried to scrub it with water and fairy liquid
but to no avail

Yogi
02-16-2005, 02:43 PM
http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/silvergiftstore/polish-silver.jpg

Bleach for silver................http://www.rikk-cowsys.com/style_emoticons/default/huhpmsl.gif

YoBling

manker
02-16-2005, 02:43 PM
Maybe give Argos a ring and tell them they sold you duff bling.

Seriously tho' I don't know but putting it in bleach seems like a bad idea. I clean my silver chain with a special duster I bought from Samuels, or somewhere. Bleach cleans floors, not jewelry :ermm:

RPerry
02-16-2005, 02:49 PM
I thought bleach would actually cause silver to oxidize.....
you might want to get some silver cleaner and try cleaning it again, I don't know if the bleach would destroy the silver for good :(

Money Fist
02-16-2005, 02:53 PM
hmm
well least i only applied it to 2 & ½ of 15 of the links
if any one points it out it will then i guess it will just make an interesting story

Money Fist
02-16-2005, 02:54 PM
you might want to get some silver cleaner and try cleaning it again, I don't know if the bleach would destroy the silver for good :(
bugger
i hope not

Guillaume
02-16-2005, 02:58 PM
I don't know if the bleach would destroy the silver for good :(

Well, it would certainly oxidize the whole thing, but over an extremely long time.
Fiber's jewellery is probably oxidized on its surface. Nothing a good polishing won't fix.

hobbes
02-16-2005, 03:16 PM

Listen to Mr. Perry.

Fiber,

What may have confused you is that when you add bleach to clothing, it reacts with the excess electrons in the clothing. The electrons are activated by light and give the garment unwanted shades of color. This oxidation releases electrons from the clothing and therefore the shirt comes out appearing nice and white.

In the case of silver, it is oxygen or oxidizing agents (bleach :ohmy: ) that react with the silver molecules themselves and cause it to tarnish. It is not a matter of releasing electrons from the silver, as in the case of washing clothes.

What you have essentially done is give your silver an accellerated course in "tarnish". Kind of like treating rust, by soaking in water. :dry:

You need a "reducing" agent which will react with the oxygen now stuck on your metal and release it from the silver. So get gets some silver polish from the store.

It can be salvaged with a good reducing agent.

Just as a side note:

Gold is considered a precious metal because it never oxidizes (rusts).
Silver is considered semi-precious because it rusts slowly.

2Ag0 + H2O + 2e- ---- Ag2O(tarnish) + 2OH- You did this
Ag2O + H2O + 2e- ---- 2Ag(pure silver) + 2OH- You wanted this.

Gemby!
02-16-2005, 09:53 PM
how to clean silver - get a clean frying pan and put some water in it till it starts to boil, then put some tin foil in there . keep the heat on,and the foil in and put in your silver chain and 10 secs later it is clean :)

edit ** haha im 17 and i know more than you lot on random things ~~ :01:

Gemby!
02-17-2005, 02:03 PM
try my trick for cheap and effective cleaning goddamit !!

manker
02-17-2005, 02:07 PM
try my trick for cheap and effective cleaning goddamit !!Typical chavette trick, ever since I saw that pic of you in a backwards baseball cap I had my doubts about you :no:

Gemby!
02-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Well then you would know that as a chav people have to clean their bling :rolleyes:

manker
02-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Well then you would know that as a chav people have to clean their bling :rolleyes:How dar you! :maxnpaddy:

Chavs don't clean anything :unsure:

Btw, a place (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/n91247-.html) for you to spread your spam qualities.

Gemby!
02-17-2005, 02:28 PM
why dont you believe me ??

try it on cheap silver jewellery if you dont believe me !!!

manker
02-17-2005, 02:32 PM
why dont you believe me ??

try it on cheap silver jewellery if you dont believe me !!!I haven't got any cheap silver jewelry.

I think J'Pol's got a silver toe ring, maybe ask him :unsure:

Gemby!
02-17-2005, 02:39 PM
im not asking about anyones toes :wacko:

Money Fist
02-17-2005, 07:44 PM
how to clean silver - get a clean frying pan and put some water in it till it starts to boil, then put some tin foil in there . keep the heat on,and the foil in and put in your silver chain and 10 secs later it is clean :)
:01:

lmao
that sounds crazy
im a man of money, so i guess i will stick to the silver polish

nice science lesson hobbies

Gemby!
02-17-2005, 07:48 PM
It is so NOT crazy !!

ah well i gave my advice and if you dont take it you will just be fools who spend money on stuff when you dont need to ! :)

edit * least i didnt put mine in bleach :lol:

Money Fist
02-17-2005, 07:55 PM
edit * least i didnt put mine in bleach :lol:
lol
so i missed a few science lessons at school

Gemby!
02-17-2005, 08:01 PM
a few ? lol

honestly try the water thing and if it dont work then it cant be any worse than bleach :P