PDA

View Full Version : NHL 2005 Season Over Without Ever Starting!

kooliO
02-16-2005, 06:24 PM
Its official folks. Gary Bettemen has cancelled the season officially. Its so sad to see that the season was almot salvaged when th NHLPA accepted the $49 mill salary cap but the league got greedy and insisted on a $42 mill cap, which the PA obviously rejected. I think the PA are at the middleground and the owners are @sse$ for ruining the season. Hope they are happy when next season if NHL returns no one would be intrested any more.

Good Job Gary :ermm:

Busyman
02-16-2005, 06:54 PM
The owners and players had everything to lose in a sport that isn't a big moneymaker to begin with.

Personally I could care less. I did like going to the season opener and closer of the Washington Capitals but watching it on TV was shit.

Look at the NHL and compare it to the NBA.

Each NHL team has more players to pay than the NBA
NHL arenas are harder to fill
NHL has crap ratings for TV and furthermore doesn't have the lucrative TV contracts.

The NHL is lucky there is no other rival league around but then again who watches hockey? :huh:

kooliO
02-16-2005, 07:19 PM
yeah, both sides are complete idiots for not recognizing the need to salvage the already financially poor league that is the NHL. I personally don't care much about NHL either, never did, but it was nice to watch the games come playoff time as toronto always made but i think this cancellation didn't help anything no matter how you look at it. The cap hurts toronto the most anyways so no matter what, we will turn out to be the losers. We might aswell just fold the top 6 poorest teams in the league and add more competiation.

BigBank_Hank
02-16-2005, 08:25 PM
We might aswell just fold the top 6 poorest teams in the league and add more competiation.

You are on to something with that. There are to many teams in the league and the talent pool is spread to thin. There are to many mediocre players playing on mediocre teams and a few of them could be eliminated to help the overall talent pool throughout the rest of the league.