PDA

View Full Version : AMD Socket A Athlon 1.3 Changing Mobo ???

Josh
02-16-2005, 10:33 PM
Hi,

I have a system infront of me with a AMD Athlon 1.3 on a GigaByte GA-7DX Mobo now the mobo is fudged no video output at all i tried a different graphic card as still blank on start up so mobo is damaged i think. Now i am planning on getting a Gigabyte GA-7VT600 1394 to replace the GA-7DX will this be ok.

I am doing a upgrade also:

These are whats going on the new board (some are old parts that were used on old board)

80GB Hard Drive
128MB PC2100 and 256MB PC2100 DDR Ram
nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB <------------- yeah its old not my PC tho :P
AMD Athlon 1.3 GHz

Now my main thing is about setting CPU speed when i get new board ??????? about the DIP switch on the new board i looked through manual (havent bought mobo yet but got manual from Gigabyte website) and looks simple i set the SW1 to ON so 100mhz is on not Auto and set multiplyer to 13x is this correct ??????

I think might haveto do grpahics card upgrade to support the board. Please help.

Virtualbody1234
02-16-2005, 10:39 PM
How do you know it the motherboard that's "fudged"?

Try another powersupply and clear the CMOS.

Josh
02-16-2005, 10:47 PM
Well the power supply works i think all other hardware starts up. I have another so can try that. Could with me adding new things not enough power to the system to have the video output. Nothing comes up on the screen its just blank but this system works fine on the display. Is it safe to clear Cmos what do i do ???

I found in manual i change a jumper so do i do that then start up then see if it shows something on display then restart and but jumper back in normal posistion.

tesco
02-16-2005, 11:14 PM
no just put the jumper into the other position for a few seconds then put it back THEN startup.
starting up with the cmos jumper on can damage the board.

Virtualbody1234
02-16-2005, 11:17 PM
For clearing the CMOS...

-Turn off the power.
-Move the jumper to the clear position for a few seconds.
-Move the jumper back to the normal postion.
-Power on and see if it starts up.

Try starting with the minimal components installed. Power supply, Motherboard, CPU, RAM and Graphics card. Disconnect everyting else.

Josh
02-17-2005, 07:31 AM
So no Hard Drive on ????

lynx
02-17-2005, 09:36 AM
So no Hard Drive on ????No hard drive, no floppy drive, nothing connected via serial cable, parallel cable, usb or anything.

The whole point is to try to find out if something else is dragging the system down, so you want as little connected as possible. If you are going to change the motherboard you are going to have to disconnect them all anyway, so there isn't even any extra work!

If it still doesn't work after you've done all that, it probably is the motherboard, but ideally you should test the remaining parts (especially the CPU and power supply) by some other means just to be sure.

Edit: if you get POST beeps at bootup after disconnecting everything, then chances are that your motherboard is NOT faulty.

Josh
02-17-2005, 05:32 PM
well the mobo had a 30gb 5200rpm harddrive on it now a 80gb hard drive 7200rpm drive and extra 256mb pc2100 ram added the old 128mb pc2100 still there.

Also a 16x DVD-ROM drive added i set jumpers correctly. There was just a CD-RW their before when i get it back will do what u have suggested iaint at my home at moment

Virtualbody1234
02-17-2005, 05:55 PM
You can also try it with only one memory module in place. Try it with each module separately. That way you eliminate the possibility of the RAM being the problem.

Josh
02-19-2005, 01:10 PM
I tried all suggestions and nothing :( so looks like gonna need the new board so back to my first post plz explain the DIP switch to me. So i put SW1 to ON so FSB on 100Mhz instead of auto since its 1300mhz processor. And set switches to 13x

Virtualbody1234
02-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Again. How do you know it's the motherboard that's at fault? Maybe the CPU, power supply or other part is dead.

About the DIP switch... Auto should work with the Duron. No need to set manually.

Josh
02-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Dont think its a Duron ??? not too sure all i know is that its AMD Athlon 1.3 Ghz not the XP Athlon.

Well the guy who had pc before said he fudged up the mobo the guy who wants pc reparing said he wanted a new board n e ways so no harm in buying a new one. I am surein the manual for the new board it says only set SW1 to auto if over 1800mhz

Virtualbody1234
02-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Sorry about the Athlon/Duron mixup. There were so few Athlon 1.3.

Anyway the board supports the 1.3 Athlon: http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/CPUSupportList/CPUSupportList_GA-7VT600%201394.htm

You're right. Page 10 of the manual says:
You must set SW1 to 100MHz when you used FSB 200MHz CPU.
Manual here. (http://america.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/FileList/Manual/manual_7vt6001394_e.pdf)

Josh
02-20-2005, 12:33 PM
Ah right so was right :) just wanted to check :) thanks alot

Josh
02-25-2005, 07:49 PM
Ok ok i changed the mobo, graphics, memory, hard drive, case, new fans, new PSU and still blank screen on a start up whats going on n e ideas i tried unplugging everything and starrting up and just the same aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh plz help

Virtualbody1234
02-25-2005, 08:21 PM
What's to only thing left? The CPU? Anything else I might have forgotten? What else is left over from the old system?

Monitor perhaps?

Josh
02-25-2005, 08:50 PM
I could try another monitor if i had one i am using the one i have on my current system and its worj fine but get no response from montor when plugged into AMD system ?????????? i really dont know what to do, could the CPU cause this wouldnt the Mobo start up for BIOS

Virtualbody1234
02-25-2005, 09:54 PM
If the CPU is dead then nothing can run. The BIOS cannot run without a CPU.

Josh
02-25-2005, 10:18 PM
so could that explain the problem its the CPU so need to replace that now and if that aint the problem well im lost

Now lets talk CPU AMD Socket A for this motherboard what can i use

i can get Athlon XP Barton or Sempron (if that works with the mobo) i dont want n e thing really speedy i have 1.3ghz so n e thing just above that what could i get

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/AMD_CPUs.html

thats where i would be buying from

Snee
02-25-2005, 10:22 PM
I'd go with one of these (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/AMD_Athlon_XP__Mobile_.html) if the mobo can handle it, and if it allows for you to set your fsb and multiplier manually.

I've got the top one, and it's my most favourite processor ever.

Josh
02-25-2005, 10:36 PM
The mobo got a auto switch when Multiplier over 18x will a mobile work n a desktop system i wouldrather get a barton or Sempron and some tips on which one to get i like the
AMD Athlon "Barton" XP2800+ 333FSB
and
AMD Sempron 2800+ 2.00GHz

Now what would i need to set mulitpler at if SW1 is set at auto since the FSB is over 200 do i just set all the DIP swtichs to X so the Bios Automatically picks it up