PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some good horror music.

Turkishjade
02-17-2005, 07:11 PM
I am looking for some uber-creepy soundtrack music. Very dark, eerie, chanting monk sounds a plus, Catholic boy choir stuff like from The Omen a double plus.

I don't want any of the new horror stuff that has loud drums and guitar ( like the stuff Marilyn Manson and Trent Reznor have done recently. ) I want something more ambient and mellow.

Someone told me that I could find what I am looking for in Japanese video game soundtracks or Japanese movie soundtracks, but I don't even know where to begin looking.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

lee551
02-18-2005, 06:16 AM
cradle of filth - dinner at deviant's palace

very creepy song imo. :ph34r:

Rip The Jacker
02-18-2005, 06:45 AM
cradle of filth - dinner at deviant's palace

very creepy song imo. :ph34r:
I just downloaded it, it really is a creepy song. :ph34r:

EDIT: @Turkishjade
You could try "Room of Angel" from Silent Hill 4. Its by Akira Yamaoka. Really nice and kinda creepy song.

Turkishjade
02-18-2005, 07:44 AM
lee551: I'll try that. Is the rest of their work similar? Is it worth investigating their stuff for my purposes?

Rip The Jacker: Surprise, surprise! That song is exactly the reason why I am on this search. Mrs. Turkishjade to Be actually had me research the chick who sang the song ( Mary Elizabeth McGlynn. ) Fortunately, the rest of her songs are all for video games and are all available on Soundtracks. Unfortunately, they all suck. We did a little investigation of our own based on movies we liked and all we found were Type O Negative, Korn, Marilyn Manson and the like. Not bad at all, but not creepy. To put it in her words: "It's not creepy if you can nod your head to it." F'n A Right! I had to give her a slightly stronger golf clap for that one!

I still need suggestions, if anyone has them. Anything mellow like the music from Silent Hill....not as hard as any of the Jason Movies, but more like the Omen movies. Keywords: Haunting, Creepy, Scary, etc.

Thanks to everyone on this forum... I don't visit often enough, but I'm glad when I do!

sparsely
02-18-2005, 08:51 AM
most of these have words, but they produce that creepy effect nonetheless, and do it quite well:
thought gang :: the black dog runs at night
aphex twin :: logon rock-witch
tom waits :: earth died screaming
portishead :: wandering star
air :: sex born poison

Turkishjade
02-18-2005, 01:59 PM
Thanks Sparsely. I'm going to check these out.

Rip The Jacker
02-19-2005, 07:52 AM
Rip The Jacker: Surprise, surprise! That song is exactly the reason why I am on this search.
Oh wow I'm good. :01:

A lot of the Silent Hill music is really nice, there is a good piano song (no words) from Silent Hill 2 called True. You could check it out if you'd like. :)

Adster
02-20-2005, 01:15 AM
The Omen Movie soundtrack the best horror movie sountrack ever!!!

its great

composer Jerry Goldsmith

yeah but I wouldn't mind some suggestions too

Xiu Xiu has a creppy track can't remember the name

sparsely
02-20-2005, 02:16 AM
:ohmy: Xiu Xiu?!

I have the 'Fabulous Muscles' album..but I've enver got around to playing it :P

Turkishjade
02-20-2005, 06:22 AM
Adster: I didn't think to check any of the classics. I'll give that a try! Thanks!

Mad Cat
02-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Try some stuff from Depeche Mode, they did some pretty haunting tracks.
EDIT: Especially the Violator album.

lee551
02-20-2005, 05:45 PM
lee551: I'll try that. Is the rest of their work similar? Is it worth investigating their stuff for my purposes?

umm. most of their stuff is black/death metal. i think that song i mentioned was just a creepy interlude on one of their cd's.

in the meantime try this: dimmu borgir - fear and wonder. its a 2:48 all instrumental piece mostly strings. its kinda scary sounding at parts. another good song by them is "puritania." its a great metal song and has scary overtones.
good luck. :cool:

Turkishjade
02-20-2005, 06:27 PM
Lee: I actually have Dimmu in my library. I didn't think to look, good call!

Mad Cat: Are you serious? I thought Depeche Mode was a dance band. I'll check that out tonight, I think my GF might own some of their stuff.

Mad Cat
02-20-2005, 09:31 PM
They started pop, went a bit strange then went a bith gothy then a bit rocky, its hard to tell.

EDIT: One that springs straight to mind is the Pimpf instrumental. Look about for it, its on the Music For The Masses album. I remember the Christmas Island instrumental being a bit similar.
EDIT2: Definetly Pimpf, yeah.
EDIT3: Stuff like Moonlight Sonata, Sibeling and some of the other B-side instrumentals, too.

Turkishjade
02-22-2005, 04:34 AM
Thx MadCat. I'll go through their catalog ( there is a whole lotta stuff to go through ) and then I'll use all of the suggestions I've gotten here and go to AllMusicGuide to find related/similar artists.

Thank you EVERYONE for all of the help!

Lilmiss
02-22-2005, 06:05 PM
Anything from the Tool - Lateralus album spooks me out.
Especially Schism.

AFI do fantastic dark creepy music. :wub:

tru-guru
03-01-2005, 10:48 AM
any1 kno really scary nursery rhymes or like opera/gospel hymns ? ? ?

Skiz
03-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Try perhaps "The Monster Mash"? :unsure:

Turkishjade
03-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Tru-Guru:

Tricky - Carraige for Two

It's a creepy take on "God Bless the Child Who's Got His Own." Is that close to what you were looking for?

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
03-01-2005, 08:21 PM
Movie Scores.Like a few others have already said.FC is da man when it comes to Movie Scores.But you better have something he wants in return.

he he

fkdup74
03-01-2005, 08:37 PM
I am looking for some uber-creepy music.

the backstreet boys :ph34r:
or if you really want creepy....FCs avatar :ph34r:
he loves the boy bands too, he can get you some backstreet boys :lol:

:P

Arm
03-05-2005, 01:31 AM
I don't want any of the new horror stuff that has loud drums and guitar ( like the stuff Marilyn Manson and Trent Reznor have done recently. ) I want something more ambient and mellow.

Black Sabbath - The Gates of Hell :ph34r:

And if you want a hard-rocking creepy song than Headless Cross by Black Sabbath. Tony Martin is rock n' roll. :01: It's got loud drums and guitar but not as loud as Mansons. Plus how can you not like a song based on this?

This is based on a true story that happened in the Middle Ages while the pestilence was going through Europe. In a small village called Headless Cross, the people went to the hill of the headless cross where they prayed to God for help. No one survived. :cool:

You can also try the Stratovarius songs "Dreamspace," "Atlantis," and "Abyss."
Atlantis is an all keyboard intro to Abyss. Dreamspace and Abyss both have creepy intros but do get fast in some places.

And then theres the intro to Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings. :shifty: If you get the right version then it would be a soft, hellish sounding keyboard intro. :ermm:

mortsapprentice
03-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Carmina Burana - Atlanta Symphony Orchestra & Chorus excellent

Also check out the score to The Omen, composed by Jerry Goldsmith, thats nice and chilling.

Turkishjade
03-09-2005, 04:33 AM
MortsApprentice...

That's exactly it! Thanks man.

Joakim Agren
03-09-2005, 09:34 AM
MortsApprentice...

That's exactly it! Thanks man.
Hello!

You might also want to consider listening to Brainbug-Nightmare(can be found on Kazaa) it is creepy and sounds good!. Imagine beeing chased by a monster....

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000003DYL.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Look carefully at the picture.... :helpsmili :crying: :ohmy: :fear2: :ghostface :devil:

Turkishjade
03-10-2005, 04:55 AM
Joakim...I'll check that out.

BTW, who is that beautiful girl in your sig? She's not a kid is she, cuz I would hate to feel like a perv.