PDA

View Full Version : IDE power supply converter help

Adster
02-19-2005, 04:52 AM
Ok first Off I ordered this 200g which i need SATA connections which my mother board does have my mother board is

K7T266 Pro-2A MSI

now I then bought and have ordered a PCI SATA Card to put in there

Guy told me at the help disk that I might possibly need a IDE Power Supply Converter ???

well do I need one too???

also to my understanding is when this card comes this HD i have then gets used as a external the pugs going into the back of the card???

Livy
02-19-2005, 09:39 AM
this drive should fir inside as the sata pci card should have the plugs on the inside, well thats my understanding.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/sata_cables.html

thats the cable you need, the 2nd one down.

lynx
02-19-2005, 10:01 AM
You don't need a converter for Maxtor or Western Digital drives. Maxtor have the old style connector, the latest WD drives have both (or come with a converter, the web site isn't clear on that).

Snee
02-19-2005, 08:51 PM
Can you use one of those ide->sata power adapters the other way?

'cos i've got a sata connection i'm not using. It'd be sweet if I could change it to fit an ide drive.

Let me rephrase that, I know it won't work simply flipping a standard adapter around, but could I convert the 15 pin connector to a 4 pin, hook it up an IDE drive and not fry the drive in the process?

Virtualbody1234
02-19-2005, 09:18 PM
Can you use one of those ide->sata power adapters the other way?

'cos i've got a sata connection i'm not using. It'd be sweet if I could change it to fit an ide drive.

Let me rephrase that, I know it won't work simply flipping a standard adapter around, but could I convert the 15 pin connector to a 4 pin, hook it up an IDE drive and not fry the drive in the process?
It would be possible but I have never seen that type of adaptor. You would have to make your own. Probably easier to cut the SATA power connector and replace it with a Molex.

Snee
02-19-2005, 09:23 PM
:(

Yeah, I guess it wouldn't be that hard though, as long as I don't mess up the wires.

I just need get one of those standard adapters and remove the connectors, and then get hold of a female sata connector from an extension cable (I've got plenty of the fourpin ides), and swap them around.

Assuming there's no difference in amps or volts, that is.