PDA

View Full Version : I will take out this whole city block

pusher
02-19-2005, 11:17 AM
Is there anything in the world that makes you so pissed, you feel like you could destroy an entire city block and the inhabitants therein?

Well?

Mr. Mulder
02-19-2005, 11:27 AM
I bought a dreamcast a couple of days ago and finaly got a game for it today, just this minute put sonic adventure in to find that the dreamcast is flucked! So now ive got to go all the way back into town to get it changed

no i woupldn't spell check this psot!!!111 :verydissapointedwiththegamestationshop:

S!X
02-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Yes i was denied the purchase of HL2 today that pissed the fuck outta me...

pusher
02-19-2005, 11:34 AM
I bought a dreamcast a couple of days ago and finaly got a game for it today, just this minute put sonic adventure in to find that the dreamcast is flucked! So now ive got to go all the way back into town to get it changed

no i woupldn't spell check this psot!!!111 :verydissapointedwiththegamestationshop:

I saw a Sonic: The Hedgehog tie today at a thrift shop.
I kind of regret not buying it. :frusty:

Mr. Mulder
02-19-2005, 11:38 AM
I saw a Sonic: The Hedgehog tie today at a thrift shop.
I kind of regret not buying it. :frusty:

it probably wouldn't have worked when you got it home anyway :dry:

pusher
02-19-2005, 11:40 AM
it probably wouldn't have worked when you got it home anyway :dry:

...You're right... There's nothing in my wardrobe that co-ordinates with it...

:huh:

sparsely
02-19-2005, 11:43 AM
mold.

Cheese
02-19-2005, 11:44 AM
I left my school bag in a pub. Or at least I think I did...can't find it now. :angry:

Gemby!
02-19-2005, 12:26 PM
Is there anything in the world that makes you so pissed, you feel like you could destroy an entire city block and the inhabitants therein?

Well?

Nope not really - i dont have those kinda anger issues :P

sparsely
02-19-2005, 01:27 PM
then you can take out the whole block....for a good-time ice cream social!

/me puts on his spaceman costume

Biggles
02-19-2005, 01:36 PM
then you can take out the whole block....for a good-time ice cream social!

/me puts on his spaceman costume

:(

Likewise, I thought unwarranted generosity was about to be displayed.

:ermm: Any particular block or is it random anger?

sparsely
02-19-2005, 01:56 PM
yeah..being lured into a thread by the prospect of some type of festive outing, only to find vague threats to innocent domiciles and city wildlife...now that reaaally pisses me off!

shit, now this thread now needs its own backlash thread...

Lilmiss
02-19-2005, 03:43 PM
I hate it when a good plan falls to pieces because Paul won't answer his god damned phone. :angry:

It's tmes like these I want to throw my mobile at the door, or single handedly flatten the world.

TheDave
02-19-2005, 03:47 PM
my pc just bluescreened and now it wont let me log in. i'm only very slightly mildly frustrated a bit though :unsure:

DarthInsinuate
02-19-2005, 03:51 PM
i don't know how big a block is but i never feel like destroying one, i'd much prefer destroying the planet or at least all humans

Snee
02-19-2005, 04:15 PM
Yeah, none of this prancing about with tiny city blocks. :dry:

Gemby!
02-19-2005, 04:15 PM
i don't know how big a block is but i never feel like destroying one, i'd much prefer destroying the planet or at least all humans

How big is a block ?? * confused by you americans - shakes fist in anger*

vidcc
02-19-2005, 04:21 PM

640x480 pixels = 3 blocks
http://www.ecsel.psu.edu/~dhushy/EDG100/fa2001_s11/cad_assignment_1/lego.jpg

Gemby!
02-19-2005, 04:26 PM
Oh - in that case - never take out your anger on lego .....

Lilmiss
02-19-2005, 04:42 PM
never take out your anger on lego

What about Legolas? :w00t: :hubba: :w00t:

How do I deal with neighbours who insist on playing loud Drum n bass, making my walls vibrate? :shifty:
Yup, that's right....I sing. :devil: :01:

Snee
02-19-2005, 04:43 PM
What about Legolas? :w00t: :hubba:

He's a nancyboy.

Gemby!
02-19-2005, 04:55 PM
What about Legolas? :w00t: :hubba: :w00t:

How do I deal with neighbours who insist on playing loud Drum n bass, making my walls vibrate? :shifty:
Yup, that's right....I sing. :devil: :01:

:fear:

*turns down music, just in case*

hobbes
02-19-2005, 06:36 PM

See map of Manhattan Island, a part of New York City. They broke it down roughly into little blocks and gave the roads numbers (52nd st) instead of names(Elm st.) so it is easy to figure out how to get where you want to go by just counting out the blocks.

Blocks make the best sense in the city but become confusing when roads get all curvy and such.

http://phe.rockefeller.edu/pics/manhattan.gif

Just for orientation, Battery Park at the bottom is where the World Trade Center was, and the Statue of Liberty would be just of the bottom in the harbour.

Just up and to the right you can see the Brooklyn bridge, the one you are warned not to buy. "If you believe that, I've got a bridge I want to sell you".

So many blocks, why not just crush one for a thrill?

What do you call "blocks" in the UK?

100%
02-19-2005, 06:46 PM
I could launch a nuclear bomb is some stranger makes a rude remark for no reason in the morning

tesco
02-19-2005, 06:54 PM
stupid MySQL broke last night on my computer so i tried reinstalling it like 50 times today and still can't get it working. :crying:

that pisses me off.

and sparsely isn't on msn/aim to help me. :crying:

Biggles
02-19-2005, 07:09 PM
He's a nancyboy.

Placebo

I quite like them.

Gemby!
02-19-2005, 07:18 PM
See map of Manhattan Island, a part of New York City. They broke it down roughly into little blocks and gave the roads numbers (52nd st) instead of names(Elm st.) so it is easy to figure out how to get where you want to go by just counting out the blocks.

Blocks make the best sense in the city but become confusing when roads get all curvy and such.

Just for orientation, Battery Park at the bottom is where the World Trade Center was, and the Statue of Liberty would be just of the bottom in the harbour.

Just up and to the right you can see the Brooklyn bridge, the one you are warned not to buy. "If you believe that, I've got a bridge I want to sell you".

so is a 'block' the same as, say in london we have it split under areas like hammersmith, queensway, lambeth etc. ?? otherwise im still confused :P

TheDave
02-19-2005, 07:31 PM

http://phe.rockefeller.edu/pics/manhattan.gif

so you boringify places then?

Snee
02-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Placebo

I quite like them.
Listening to them right now as it happens. :D

I should prolly point out that it isn't really my thing, lyrics-wise. :unsure: nancyboy I mean, I can't quite relate.

Biggles
02-19-2005, 08:12 PM
Listening to them right now as it happens. :D

I should prolly point out that it isn't really my thing, lyrics-wise. :unsure: nancyboy I mean, I can't quite relate.

Although according to SGG and her mates the lead singer is hawt.

:unsure:

On the other hand that is probably no comfort come to think of it. Forget I said that. :shifty:

Snee
02-19-2005, 08:15 PM
Well, if she keeps falling for that kind of guy there's no risk of her getting laid any time soon.

hobbes
02-19-2005, 08:20 PM
so you boringify places then?

Yes Dave, we are.

Back in the golden era all the streets of Manhattan were fancifully named and the people travelled on winged unicorns and sang ghey songs all day long.

Unfortunately, since there were 100's of crossing streets in a very congested area, everyone was getting lost without a highly detailed map.

One day, the Mayor suggested a "logical structure" so that anyone could easily navigate such a chaotic area.

Alas the streets were renamed and I don't have to tell you that the unicorns have all gone away. The people remain, but their world is now black and white and they cough clouds of gray all day long.

So when someone asks you "What's in a name?"

You just remind them of New York City. :dry:

hobbes
02-19-2005, 08:36 PM
so is a 'block' the same as, say in london we have it split under areas like hammersmith, queensway, lambeth etc. ?? otherwise im still confused :P

Hammersmith, queensway, lambeth are probably like our boroughs, which are political divisions within a single city. You can see this in very large cities like London and New York.

http://flagspot.net/misc/us(ny-ny.gif

New York City has 5 boroughs (Manhattan,Bronx,Queens,Staten Island and Brooklyn), which are actually pretty big chunks of land.

boroughs of London (http://www.brent.gov.uk/www.nsf/0/243a9cb5fefb81e580256a560055e414?OpenDocument)

A block is defined by streets. Where 2 parallel streets are crossed by 2 perpendicular ones. In the graph 2000 and 2500 are crossed by 1960 and 1970. The area inside is a block. Called "blocks" because that is what they look like.

Ignore what the graph is about, pretend it is a map and the numbers are street names.

http://img92.exs.cx/img92/7991/79qu.th.jpg (http://img92.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img92&image=79qu.jpg)

So what do you call a "block"?

Mr. Mulder
02-19-2005, 10:37 PM

oh ffs this ones fucked too!!!111 :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: it switches of after 2 hours play :mad: I'm taking the flucker back and buying a game cube, shouldn't have sold it anyway :dry:

Smith
02-20-2005, 12:56 AM
I got a migrane today, its been going on sence 2. I have thrown up twice, but its going away now.

sArA
02-20-2005, 01:07 AM
I got a migrane today, its been going on sence 2. I have thrown up twice, but its going away now.

Nasty...used to get those when a teenager, I grew out of em though, so hopefully you will too....eventually.

TheDave
02-20-2005, 03:07 AM
Yes Dave, we are.

Back in the golden era all the streets of Manhattan were fancifully named and the people travelled on winged unicorns and sang ghey songs all day long.

Unfortunately, since there were 100's of crossing streets in a very congested area, everyone was getting lost without a highly detailed map.

One day, the Mayor suggested a "logical structure" so that anyone could easily navigate such a chaotic area.

Alas the streets were renamed and I don't have to tell you that the unicorns have all gone away. The people remain, but their world is now black and white and they cough clouds of gray all day long.

So when someone asks you "What's in a name?"

You just remind them of New York City. :dry:
the rest of the world learns to read maps and laugh at those who cant

TheDave
02-20-2005, 03:09 AM
my pc has gone crazy. slimbrowser/MSIE crash when i right-click or select text. mozilla/firefox just refuse to load :blink:

hobbes
02-20-2005, 03:38 AM
the rest of the world learns to read maps and laugh at those who cant

When I said, "People were getting lost without a highly detailed map". Was that confusing? It means that when they have a map, they don't get lost.

What does the world think about people who can't understand posts? :lol:

TheDave
02-20-2005, 03:45 AM
yeah whatever. renaming streets for people who are too stupid to use a map is stupid. throw em in at the deep end or they'll never learn

sparsely
02-20-2005, 04:08 AM
honestly though, in a city the size of NYC, would you rather try and remember the names of 10,000 streets, and their location, or simply know that the next street up is 32nd?

seems much more logical to me...even without a map, it's much easier to reference mentally. especially if odd numbers streets go N-S and even numbered streets go E-W.
I dunno of NYC is that way though...I've never been there.

hobbes
02-20-2005, 04:59 AM
yeah whatever. renaming streets for people who are too stupid to use a map is stupid. throw em in at the deep end or they'll never learn

:frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

They didn't really re-name them, that was just part of my story. I have no clue as to who decided on this method. It is just practical for this particular area. Manhattan has a ton of tourists and they did not wish a bunch of people from the UK stumbling about their city and on the wrong side of the road to boot. :no:

The people that live in NYC eventually learn how to get from home to work. They probably like the system because now they don't have to give complicated directions to tourists.

My point was that street names don't make things boring, boring people do.

Having to explain how to get to the Guggenheim museum day after day might make the locals go postal and destroy a whole city block.

clocker
02-20-2005, 12:37 PM
The people that live in NYC eventually learn how to get from home to work. They probably like the system because now they don't have to give complicated directions to tourists.

hobbes...
This "street naming" plan of yours sounds like it might just be a winner.
My place of employ has a payroll of hundreds, made necessary because on any given day only 2 or 3 of us could actually find the shop.

I had always chalked this up to excessive drug use and sloth, but your theory makes more sense.

TheDave
02-20-2005, 02:17 PM
ive decided its best to ignore anything i posted last night :blushing: sorry

Snee
02-20-2005, 02:40 PM
ive decided its best to ignore anything i posted last night :blushing: sorry
Ditto :unsure:

Gemby!
02-20-2005, 02:49 PM
Hammersmith, queensway, lambeth are probably like our boroughs, which are political divisions within a single city. You can see this in very large cities like London and New York.

http://flagspot.net/misc/us(ny-ny.gif

New York City has 5 boroughs (Manhattan,Bronx,Queens,Staten Island and Brooklyn), which are actually pretty big chunks of land.

boroughs of London (http://www.brent.gov.uk/www.nsf/0/243a9cb5fefb81e580256a560055e414?OpenDocument)

A block is defined by streets. Where 2 parallel streets are crossed by 2 perpendicular ones. In the graph 2000 and 2500 are crossed by 1960 and 1970. The area inside is a block. Called "blocks" because that is what they look like.

Ignore what the graph is about, pretend it is a map and the numbers are street names.

So what do you call a "block"?

i dont think there is a name for those :P

Lilmiss
02-20-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm personally gonna hunt down the wench who burnt me in the back with a cigarette last night, to cause her great pain, and the lose of her favourite top. :crying:

Other people on my hit list from last night are;
The bouncer who wouldn't let me chill out, in the chill out room.
The kebab shop worker who wouldn't let us smoke a spliff in his nice warm shop.
The policemen who said 6 people in a car was unacceptable, and forced us to rebel against them.
The blose who stole my bag of roasted nuts.

The end is coming, my friends. :shifty:

Biggles
02-20-2005, 05:09 PM
I'm personally gonna hunt down the wench who burnt me in the back with a cigarette last night, to cause her great pain, and the lose of her favourite top. :crying:

Other people on my hit list from last night are;
The bouncer who wouldn't let me chill out, in the chill out room.
The kebab shop worker who wouldn't let us smoke a spliff in his nice warm shop.
The policemen who said 6 people in a car was unacceptable, and forced us to rebel against them.
The blose who stole my bag of roasted nuts.

The end is coming, my friends. :shifty:

Good night then?. :ermm:

Let JPaul know when the nuke is landing - I think he may well wheel Rab Douglas somewhere close by.

Lilmiss
02-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Yeah, all in all it was fun.

I have bumps, bruises, cuts and burns to prove it. :ermm:

NeoTheOne
02-20-2005, 07:01 PM
The thing thatll make everyone pissed is when you spend like 200$ on something and come home and one of your family memeber scratches it I HATE THAT !!!!!!!!!!!!

Snee
02-20-2005, 07:03 PM
The thing thatll make everyone pissed is when you spend like 200$ on something and come home and one of your family memeber scratches it I HATE THAT !!!!!!!!!!!!
Or when you've been stalking a girl for ages and she still wants nothing to do with you? :unsure: