PDA

View Full Version : UK Food Scare - Products Recalled

Jon L. Obscene
02-19-2005, 12:52 PM
http://www.food.gov.uk/safereating/sudani/sudanlist

This is a list of food products suspected and confirmed to contain "Sudan I" dye.
This is a cancer forming substance originally designed for boot polish etc.
Products such as Worcester sauce and some pot noodles contain this substance.

It's quite shocking the amount of mainstream products which are not good.

The list contains expiration dates of the product and the last of that line to contain the dye. So check the dates on any products in the list.

Be careful what you eat.

Jonno :cool:

Rat Faced
02-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Nasty stuff Sudan I onwards (http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:u_0s42rP6mwJ:www.bgvv.de/cm/245/dyes_sudan_I_IV.pdf+SudanI+USA+food&hl=en)

Someone told me its still a legal additive in the USA and used in chilli ... dunno if thats true or not.

Cheese
02-21-2005, 09:02 AM
Mmm...pot noodle. :drool:

DarthInsinuate
02-21-2005, 09:35 AM
:lol: stupid British and their crappy food

/me checks kitchen cupboard and fridge

Jon L. Obscene
02-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Nasty stuff Sudan I onwards (http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:u_0s42rP6mwJ:www.bgvv.de/cm/245/dyes_sudan_I_IV.pdf+SudanI+USA+food&hl=en)

Someone told me its still a legal additive in the USA and used in chilli ... dunno if thats true or not.

Yes thats true (aparently), about the chillie, dunno about America, but it's now transpired that it should never have entered the country in food in the first place, AND they now saying it could be worse than first thought.

Someone said to me the other day "It's just a scare technique to make money"
I was like "How the fuck they gonna MAKE money?, companies and insurance stand to lose billions"
It's also come to light that this Sudan I is used for Red Diesel and Petrol :huh:
Why the fuck would they put it in food ffs :dry:

@Cheese..... Some pot noodles are still ok, thankfully it was only the shitty flavours that are being pulled, like Beef and Tom, and Sizzler etc , thank god we can still get Sweet and Sour :01:

Jonno :cool:

TheDave
02-22-2005, 02:13 PM
it's a dye, thats why its used in chilli, petrol and deisel.

i'm not scared btw :01:

Barbarossa
02-22-2005, 02:29 PM
I'm not chucking out my emergency supplies of Sainsbury's Steak & Kidney pies for anybody!!! :01:

TheDave
02-22-2005, 02:47 PM
i think you have to eat uber loads over a long period of time for it to be a significant threat

Rat Faced
02-22-2005, 11:09 PM
like Beef and Tom,

NOOOOO!!!!!!

:crying:

enoughfakefiles
02-22-2005, 11:56 PM
NOOOOO!!!!!!

:crying:

Yeeeesss

Chicken and mushroom rawks.1111!!!1111:lol:

/Edit won`t a lot of this be took of the shelves by now.:unsure:

lynx
02-23-2005, 01:07 AM
Of various products I thought might possibly be affected, none are on the list.
Then I find that one I would not have suspected is on it. :(

How can you have Worcestershire sauce in a powdered product? :blink:

BTW, it looks like some of the raw product may have been shipped to the US and Canada too. Enjoy your meal. :shifty:

manker
02-23-2005, 10:43 AM
How can you have Worcestershire sauce in a powdered product? Dehydrate it :blink:

Probable reply:

But then it's not Worcestershire Sauce anymore.

Likely counter:

Well, a Pot Noodle is a Pot Noodle whether it's hydrated or not, I offer that the same is true of Worcestershire Sauce.

Presumed retort:

I disagree. The very nature of a sauce infers viscosity, thus it could not be a powder.

Considered rebuttal:

That's fine except the mere concept of a noodle inplies it in it's natural state, i.e. hydrated - yet it's fine for people to consider them in either state.

I put to you that the state of a product - whether hydrated or not - matters little in terms of it's definition.

Predicted riposte

Meh, whatever :P

Final post.

:01:

------------------

Sorry about that. I'm a bit bored and no-one's around to argue with :dry:

lynx
02-23-2005, 10:57 AM
Dehydrate it :blink:

Probable reply:

But then it's not Worcestershire Sauce anymore.

Likely counter:

Well, a Pot Noodle is a Pot Noodle whether it's hydrated or not, I offer that the same is true of Worcestershire Sauce.

Presumed retort:

I disagree. The very nature of a sauce infers viscosity, thus it could not be a powder.

Considered rebuttal:

That's fine except the mere concept of a noodle inplies it in it's natural state, i.e. hydrated - yet it's fine for people to consider them in either state.

I put to you that the state of a product - whether hydrated or not - matters little in terms of it's definition.

Predicted riposte

Meh, whatever :P

Final post.

:01:

------------------

Sorry about that. I'm a bit bored and no-one's around to argue with :dry:It's started affecting you already.

Have you had lamb recently? :ohmy:

manker
02-23-2005, 11:06 AM
Have you had lamb recently? :ohmy:

Oo-er http://moderation.invisionzone.com/style_emoticons/default/kenneth.gif

MagicNakor
02-23-2005, 01:05 PM
Nothing I've bought is affected by it. The Worcestershire sauce I have is Lee & Perrins.

:shuriken:

lynx
02-23-2005, 02:39 PM
I've found out I made a mistake.

The faulty product was Crosse & Blackwell Worcester Sauce made by Premier Foods.

Worcestershire Sauce is indeed made by Lee & Perrin and is not affected, although I'm pretty sure the fallout from this will have a devastating impact on their sales, at least in the short term.