PDA

View Full Version : Painkillers during child birth?

100%
02-20-2005, 06:14 PM
They say that giving anaesthics (painkillers) to the mother during birth will harm the child.
There is the option to say no or clinics where child birth is handled in a more natural way.
(if the situation gets too extreme -the hospital is aware)
I have no experience in childbirth but its seems most people opt for painkillers, yet have never met anyone who has.
Maybe some of you who have been through this process have any tips.

DarthInsinuate
02-20-2005, 06:22 PM
anywhich way as long as the mother & child come out ok, just get it over with

ruthie
02-20-2005, 07:42 PM
Well, I've done both. when I had my first baby, I refused painkillers, til there was a problem. I was in heavy labor for a LONG time, and she was face up. the doctor tried to turn her DURING contractions. I kicked him in the stomach. They were thinking they maybe needed to do a C-section, at which point I agreed to painkillers so they could actually touch me.
my second baby was born at home, with a midwife. No painkillers there, though I think I made my friend half death from screaming. LOL.
No judgement on either approach.

100%
02-21-2005, 09:14 AM
thankyou Ruthie (didn't know you where a lady), my girlfriend wants to do it in a different clinic which doesn't do anasthetics - because it is more personal and she says that in the hospital you will get different doctors changing shifts and student doctors looking in. Her main concern is that painkillers may hurt the baby. I support whatever she wants, also knowing that if there is a problem the hospital is almost across the hallway so you might end up getting the best of both worlds.

cpt_azad
02-21-2005, 09:49 AM
No

ruthie
02-21-2005, 05:39 PM
thankyou Ruthie (didn't know you where a lady), my girlfriend wants to do it in a different clinic which doesn't do anasthetics - because it is more personal and she says that in the hospital you will get different doctors changing shifts and student doctors looking in. Her main concern is that painkillers may hurt the baby. I support whatever she wants, also knowing that if there is a problem the hospital is almost across the hallway so you might end up getting the best of both worlds.
Msot hospitals have birthing rooms. they also let midwives do the delivery, and of course there is the benefit of the hospital right there. also, at least when I had my kids, midwives need to have a Dr. they work under. If I did it again (which I won't...my kids are grown), i wouldn't do a home birth, simply because if anything happened, I wouldn't be right at a hospital for medical intervention.
It's great you support whatever she wants. I hope she knows that when the time comes, if she needs meds, not to feel guilty about it.

manker
02-21-2005, 06:02 PM
Very often medication can assist in facilitating a quick birth, or so I read in a recent report. Since the birth is quicker and easier and the Mother is less distressed, it's beneficial to the baby, rather than the contrary. A well documented concern is that an epidural can increase the likelyhood of a c-section, this was found not to be the case in the study I recently read.

However, I didn't know this at the time but still, when my girlfriend was in labour last year she was distressed so medication was offered and accepted - it was pethidine, a narcotic. This greatly relaxed her, eased her pains and the baby suffered no detriment.

I would say that pain relief is a definite good thing for expectant mothers to use when required.

Harsh!
02-21-2005, 06:11 PM
I got high as a kite when my daughter was born..
they gave my mumsy a bottle of gas and left it..
She didnt use it but me and my mates got high as in the waiting room

silent h3ro
02-21-2005, 06:28 PM
No -it is unhealthy, unatural & affects the child

ruthie
02-21-2005, 06:35 PM
Well, there were herbs used throughout history to ease labor pains..herbs used as abortants, etc. Women also had babies at 13 years old, women have died in childbirth, etc. so, medicines have positive uses too.
They can save babies and mothers. I don't push medicine..obviously, given that my son was born at home. I do, however now think it is good to be near a hospital. Had I had a home birth with mydaughter, things would have been iffy at best, given there were problems.
I also think if the pain is too much, drugs are fine if they don't hurt the baby. If one doesn't need to suffer unbearable pain, and it is safe, there is no reason to. It doesn't make a women more or less of a woman to accecpt or refuse drugs.

100%
02-21-2005, 06:50 PM
@Harsh - i'll keep that in mind :P

@Gamer - in a way i agree-hence this thread-but pumping anasthetics into her blood will give anice juicy dose to the kid - i wonder if the baby actually has a "hangover" afterwards - anyway its not like my girlfriend is on crack (all the time)

@Ruthie yes they will perform some acupuncture in the beging but "obviously" remove it when it starts - my girlfriend is definetly not one of those "spiritual" alternative medicine etc loving peope - funny time to start.....

@Manker -strange cause we have been reading alot of info that - infact painkillers may slow down the birth process because can sedate the natural reflexes and it is also stated that the child may have in the very begining not a natural suck reaction.
Anyway billions of people have used it to no ill effect at all

If it where me - id definetly go for the sedatives - pain can make seconds last hours - and its what happens after child is out what counts - not the "spiritual" and "highly romantic" settting of the agony of your body instinctinctivly trying to get something out.

Snee
02-21-2005, 09:16 PM
As long as the doc says it's cool the mother should choose for herself.

Arm
02-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Heh they coulda knocked my mom out on Phencylidine when she was delivering me for all I care. Maybe I woulda turned out more fabulous then I am now. :smoke:

:shifty:

Biggles
02-22-2005, 10:29 PM
Did anyone see the episode of Absolutely Fabulous when Saffy was talking about having a natural childbirth and the mad Scottish mid-wife (Janette Rough of the Krankies fame) said "Aye, a lot of people say that but you will be shitting the bed and screaming for drugs just like all the rest". :lol:

Epidural appears to be good. Both of ours were CS. First one was an emergency (placenta pravia) and all very messy - second one was planned. I was looking forward to shot of the gas and air but it was not to be :(

I went for the anywhich way.

Everose
02-23-2005, 12:32 AM
I had 'late in labor' epidurals during my two deliveries. I am reading where they have approved giving the edpidurals earlier in the labor process. Had I been given that option, I would have said 'bring it on!' :lol:

It is good we have choices. Everyone has to make up their own minds about this.

Everose
02-23-2005, 06:16 PM
One woman I know said that she would consider natural childbirth if he husband would consider natural tooth extraction.

She had an epidural at the onset of labour.

I think I would like that woman. :lol:

Busyman
02-23-2005, 06:33 PM
They say that giving anaesthics (painkillers) to the mother during birth will harm the child.
There is the option to say no or clinics where child birth is handled in a more natural way.
(if the situation gets too extreme -the hospital is aware)
I have no experience in childbirth but its seems most people opt for painkillers, yet have never met anyone who has.
Maybe some of you who have been through this process have any tips.
I've never heard of epidurals endangering a child. I have heard of moms in labor endangering everyone else. :unsure:

Pretty easy vote to me.

Everose
02-23-2005, 06:57 PM
[QUOTE=Busyman]I've never heard of epidurals endangering a child. I have heard of moms in labor endangering everyone else. :unsure:

:lol: :lol: You have a very good point, Busyman. 15%-----You might ought to consider this possibility. :D

sparsely
02-23-2005, 08:32 PM
I'm not really allowed to have much of an opinon, seeing as I'll never have to jam a large 10 pound object through a small orifice of my body.

100%
02-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Thank you for all your opinions.

Here is a 900kb gif image of the child of which i speak of.
http://img183.exs.cx/img183/1954/b28ls.gif

I now have a clearer image - i was surprised to see that there are so many whom already have children.
I suppose that in conclusion, taking the epidermal is the way to go, but as stated she wants to do it the natural way and the option of the theo ther way is close at hand should things get too heavy. The "natural" clinic also is more personal and offers personal advice and help from now (5months in advance) till after the birth. The hospital version does not..

manker
02-24-2005, 05:15 PM
That's brilliant, Zed :D

I remember getting a tingle when the scan pictures started looking like a human - you must feel like you're on top of the world :01:

100%
02-24-2005, 05:27 PM
I just posted in the other thread too, but that gif is brilliant!
http://img183.exs.cx/img183/1954/b28ls.gif
How did you get a moving image like that? I just got printouts from the scans when the missus was pregnant last year.

borrowed a digi cam - man did i have to argue with that woman about filming it
she didn't want me to record during the inspection for fear of me using it against her later - wtf? her example was if you record an operation etc you can maybe see mistakes later and sue the place.
Although you feel a little bit cliche filming it - but since id seen it before this time i wanted it for myself -(noway am i filming the birth)
We are in 2005 and they still hand out small printouts?????????? It would be so easy and so much beter to have the live image - it says so much more.
I heard that in france they give you a cdrom afterwards, with stills and moving image.
Possible solution to make tons of money - hook up pc to machine and burn?

Its much nicer to look at the the video afterwards calmly more personal

manker
02-24-2005, 05:43 PM
Nice one! Wish I'd thought of that.

You're right too, it does seem a little archaic that we only get a printout on paper that will fade over time. A CD would be a much more detailed and more permanent memento.