PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Center, Questions.

worldpease
02-21-2005, 02:48 AM
Hi, I been courius about Windos Media Center for a wile now,
and I've made some investigation about it, but there are a few things I don't know yet,
for example, do I need a cinema-like screen?
and, apart from a very well equiped PC, is there extra hardware needed?
does anyone here has it?, and if so, what do you think of it?

100%
02-21-2005, 02:54 AM
never tried it -but i seriously doubt you need a "cinema screen"

http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=335377

Media Center PC Basic Requirements

The Microsoft FAQ for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 and Media Center PCs states the basic requirements as follows:

"Media Center PCs are complete desktop PCs equipped with hardware and software to deliver advanced computing and rich digital entertainment experiences. Media Center PCs include mid- to high-end processors, high-capacity hard drives, CD-ROM and DVD drives, and a remote control. The systems feature advanced graphics and audio capabilities, as well as networking connectivity."

In terms of what my survey showed me, this is what that specification means in more concrete terms:

1.8 GHz Pentium P4 processor or higher (some over 3 GHz)

256 MB RAM (many with 512 MB or higher)

40 GB hard disk (usually high-speed ATA, many drives 100 GB or larger)

5.1- or 6-channel audio capabilities, many with speakers (some with separate woofers)

High-end graphics adapter with built-in TV tuner (some with FM radio, many with TV and DVI outputs)

Some kind of audio output for home entertainment hookup (analog or digital only in some cases, both kinds in others) along with a high-end audio adapter

Personal Video Recorders (PVRs) that use the hard drive, TV connection, and software to enable recording and playback of TV signals

Support for infrared remote devices, including a Microsoft-mandated remote control, plus keyboard and mouse (often wireless)

Various forms of digital video handling, with universal DVD playback capability (many included DVD burners as a standard option on such systems)

Table 1. Media Center PC Manufacturer Info

tesco
02-21-2005, 03:48 AM
You don't need any extra hardware or anything to run media center.
but imo it's pointless unless you have comp plugged into a tv and you have a tv tuner card for recording tv + playing it. ;)