PDA

View Full Version : The future of gaming

Twigboy
02-21-2005, 08:11 AM
Well I bought Half life 2 a couple of months ago "retail Box",after installing.
I expected to be able to play it,I find out I have to activated it through another program "Steam". "Not printed on the box"

After spending hours upon hours of trying to get Steam working,I gave up.
I checked their forum for tech help but nothing works.

If this is the future of gaming then I want no part of it,the program it self seems pretty shity from the number of posts I've read on their site.

As for Valve I'm not buying anything else from thoses A-holes,or any other company that use this system.

Monkeee
02-21-2005, 08:25 AM
nahh.... steam is just a fag....

lol and it doesen't seem so hard, install steam, input key, install half life 2, your done!

Twigboy
02-21-2005, 08:38 AM
Yeah it's crap,I haven't been able to get to the point of entering my cd key.
Messed with my firewall ect.nothing works.

Only thing I haven't done was change my Internet provider which someone suggested,that's not an option for me right now.

cpt_azad
02-21-2005, 09:07 AM
well i bought hl2, installed it and steam opens up. i let it do it's thing (note: turn off Antivirus and Firewall, trust me on this one). then after "unlocking the files" i entered cd key (or was it enter cd key then it unlocked files i dont remember but its one or the other). after it unlocked the files it updated the game which took another good 30 min. after that i was ready to go, all in all, even tho steam sux, the game (half life 2 and of course the actual reason why i got hl2: counter strike source) really pays off. steam may suck but it makes up for in some good ol counter strike source :D

TheDave
02-21-2005, 11:53 AM
i doubt it'll be the future of all games.

if HL2 didn't uber kick ass enough for people to tolerate the steam shit it would be gathering dust on shop shelves. i think by the number of complaints, valve were kind of expecting us to hate it. i had to be told by the shop-keeper that i needed the internet. if you look closely it does sort of say you need the internet on the case

bigdawgfoxx
02-21-2005, 12:43 PM
So you cant even play single player without steam...thats gay.

Man..all you do is install steam when you install the game. The open steam and create a new, free account. Then when you sign in, click Play Games. Then at the bottom of the new screen it brings up it will say something like Register New Game...do that, type in the CD Key, and it should be fine.

TheDave
02-21-2005, 12:46 PM
theres plenty of people who dont have the internet still though

Bowen747x
02-21-2005, 07:05 PM
BLAME SIERRA! lol sierra trys too hard to make there games unique in some way

Peerzy
02-21-2005, 07:08 PM
BLAME SIERRA! lol sierra trys too hard to make there games unique in some way

As far as i know SIERRA arn't in anyway related to Half Life 2, they published HL1 but Venvidia (sp?) published HL2. Also what was unique about HL1?, it was just the game that was best as its genre. Also why blame SIERRA? They have hardly any input into the making of the games, they had no input into HL2, and the only input that had in HL1 was the little video at the start of the game and there name on the box.

Bowen747x
02-21-2005, 07:11 PM
peerzy you need to relax on contridicting me =P

i was unawar that sierra didnt make HL2, thats kind of odd imo, but yeah i dunno, ive played a lot of sierra games and they had something similar to the Steam thing (i think, havent actually seen Steam though) but umm, yeah HL1 and other sierra games have a special program for updates and shit that i found to be horribly useless and time wasting

Peerzy
02-21-2005, 07:15 PM
There is no other program apart from Steam working to deliver games to our pc's right now. HL1 had an inbuilt patcher where you went through the start menu and under Play HL1 it had Update HL1 where it would randomly pick a server and check the latest version and update for you, but it wasn't forced on you like Steam does, you could choose if you updated or not.

Im totally relaxed, i just always have to be right.

silent h3ro
02-21-2005, 08:14 PM
Im totally relaxed, i just always have to be right. Amen to that, brotha! :lol:

Peerzy
02-21-2005, 08:23 PM
Amen to that, brotha! :lol:

That should be:

Amen to that, brother! :lol:

:dry:

Formula1
02-21-2005, 08:48 PM
:P , Twigboy, you could try downloading the deviance version of HL2 , which doesnt require to be activated . If you desperately wanna play HL2.

silent h3ro
02-21-2005, 08:55 PM
That should be:

:dry: I rest my case. :01:

Peerzy
02-21-2005, 09:07 PM
:P , Twigboy, you could try downloading the deviance version of HL2 , which doesnt require to be activated . If you desperately wanna play HL2.

DEViANCE didn't release any version of HL2, your thinking of VENGANCE. DEViANCE havnt been scene active for nearly half a year now. Also he could get the PROViSION Collectors Edition, you won't be able to play online or update the game but you don't have to touch steam or connect to the internet.

Snee
02-21-2005, 09:38 PM
That should be:

Amen to that, brother! :lol:

:dry:
Unless it's supposed to be "Amen to that, now let's go to the brothel". :unsure:

As for the actual topic i tend to avoid games with online subscriptions and stuff like steam, I think it's a bad idea.

Peerzy
02-21-2005, 10:35 PM
Unless it's supposed to be "Amen to that, now let's go to the brothel". :unsure:

As for the actual topic i tend to avoid games with online subscriptions and stuff like steam, I think it's a bad idea.

The try meaning of his sentance is yet to be uncovered :(

I agree Steam is a piece of shit, but the games it runs with are great, if only they could offer a steamless version. Alot of people cannot play Counter Strike Source because the latest patch (which you have to install or you cnanot play any of your games) buggered it up, on a normal game a few people would try and then tell everyone else not to upgrade. Also unlocking HL2 on 56k takes up to an hour, and then you have to be connected while you play, unless you go into 'Offline' mode which is fucked and connects to the net without asking you anyway. Valve are the Microsoft's of game makers :no:

TheDave
02-21-2005, 10:41 PM
so its not just mine then which the offline mode doesnt actually work

Peerzy
02-21-2005, 10:47 PM
so its not just mine then which the offline mode doesnt actually work

Nope its everyone, also the Friends/Buddy list doesnt work so you never know where other people are in the game (server wise) and Steam has had some major issues with Xfire (bombing the whole computer and such). Also they fail to update CSS which for about 40%-45% is unplayable but add a new weapon into HL2DM. Untill Valve release a new patch CSS is fucked for millions of people. Also VAC there anti cheating system doesnt work at all, all it does is scan HL2.exe type thingy, where as most people know you can run a hack from a seperate program. VAC2 was promised to be included with HL2 retial so should have been finnished 3-4 months ago and there saying 'soon'. Also Half Life: Source they just replaced the water and added ragdoll's on NPC's. Blue Shift isnt included in the Gold edition so you get every HL game apart from Blue Shift.

Welcome to Steam, what should we fuck up next?

:whistling

Formula1
02-22-2005, 12:25 AM
DEViANCE didn't release any version of HL2, your thinking of VENGANCE. DEViANCE havnt been scene active for nearly half a year now. Also he could get the PROViSION Collectors Edition, you won't be able to play online or update the game but you don't have to touch steam or connect to the internet.

Sorry , I walways get Deviance and Vengeance mixed up, because Deviance had separated into Vengeance and Reloaded Group.

Peerzy
02-22-2005, 12:26 AM
Sorry , I walways get Deviance and Vengeance mixed up, because Deviance had separated into Vengeance and Reloaded Group.

No they didn't.

Formula1
02-22-2005, 12:33 AM
Yes they did.

Peerzy
02-22-2005, 02:20 AM
Yes they did.

How much do you want to bet on that? I know for a fact they didn't. DEViANCE split into many different groups, some left the scene, some just curried on sites for groups, a few went to HOODLUM, and a few to VENGANCE. RELOADED said that they had DEViANCE members to get aflifs on top sites so they could release stuff, when RELOADED started they had no proof they could crack so they told Siteops they were DEViANCE members as SiteOps got them onto topsites to release onto.

Not one DEViANCE member went to RELOADED. End of story.

Formula1
02-22-2005, 02:29 AM
Oh ok, at least i got half of it right :P

Peerzy
02-22-2005, 02:30 AM
Oh ok, at least i got half of it right :P

Don't ever argue with me, you fighting a losing battle.

Formula1
02-22-2005, 02:47 AM
Don't ever argue with me, you fighting a losing battle.

The correct term is, "You're fighting a losing battle" , not "You fighting a losing battle" ! :cool2:

cpt_azad
02-22-2005, 02:48 AM
ouch, peerz has been beaten :ohmy:

Peerzy
02-22-2005, 02:51 AM
The correct term is, "You're fighting a losing battle" , not "You fighting a losing battle" ! :cool2:

Well done, an American who can spell a word with more than 3 letters :ohmy:

silent h3ro
02-22-2005, 02:54 AM
Don't ever argue with me, you fighting a losing battle. :lol: :lol:

Peerzy
02-22-2005, 02:55 AM
:lol: :lol:

Only 43 more :rolleyes:

sArA
02-22-2005, 02:55 AM
Beware....the on-topic police are watching you ... :shifty:

Peerzy
02-22-2005, 02:58 AM
Beware....the on-topic police are watching you ... :shifty:

:01: :01: :01:

Thank you :D

Like i've said before, my views on the situation:

I agree Steam is a piece of shit, but the games it runs with are great, if only they could offer a steamless version. Alot of people cannot play Counter Strike Source because the latest patch (which you have to install or you cnanot play any of your games) buggered it up, on a normal game a few people would try and then tell everyone else not to upgrade. Also unlocking HL2 on 56k takes up to an hour, and then you have to be connected while you play, unless you go into 'Offline' mode which is fucked and connects to the net without asking you anyway. Valve are the Microsoft's of game makers :no:

Also the game Duke Nuken Forever will be using a program like Steam and have said that they will offer customers 10% for buying the game online, however its already been 6 years in the making and they've started over twice already. Now they have a solid engine (Decided in Sep 2001) they have begun working on it again. Hopefully we'll see the release this side of 2010 :P

silent h3ro
02-22-2005, 03:09 AM
Steam:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/Gam3Guy/steam.gif

Monkeee
02-22-2005, 08:21 AM
i totally remember that picture lmfao

cpt_azad
02-22-2005, 08:22 AM
Damn AWP whores :lol: god I hate steam :dry: (but it's worth it for CSS)

Skiz
02-22-2005, 09:25 AM
I had the same problem. Said I had to update Steam, blah blah blah. Went to the link it said to go to, never got it working, spend two weeks on Steam forum going threw every possible work around. Nothing. I ended up selling it to someguy on eBay who said it "worked fine"...figures...

cpt_azad
02-22-2005, 11:16 PM
that sux skizo. valve should really get its act together.

Twigboy
02-23-2005, 06:15 AM
i doubt it'll be the future of all games.

if you look closely it does sort of say you need the internet on the case

Yeah I can deal with that but the whole Steam thing was forced on the consumer like a bad plague,I could see validating it like WinXp.

It's just ashame Half life 2 being a single player game someone would have to dick around with firewalls,Antivirus,port settings,spyware ect. to get 1 game to work!
This is just bad for customer relations,had no problems with getting Diablo2 running it works.

Also think alot of the people who are so eager to bend over for valve and defend Steam on how great it is "on their forum" must work for them.
Seeing all the problems with updates and stuff.

cpt_azad
02-23-2005, 08:45 AM
Yup, some of those "goodie-twoshoes" ppl on the steam forums are nothing but posers and they probably to get something from Valve (who knows, maybe Gabe Ne-homo-well has multiple accounts on that forum :unsure: ). steam was forced on the ppl ur right about that twigboy, valve was so scared that there profits were gonna go down from pirating they introduced the worst application ever which serves no purpose (IMO). oh and a sidenote, once u get HL2 unlocked you dont need to be connected to the internet to play Single Player.