PDA

View Full Version : Hunter S. Thompson

dwightfry
02-21-2005, 01:58 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/02/21/MNGHUBERJ31.DTL

Great movie, great writer, a very sad day. I for one will be getting wasted.

j2k4
02-21-2005, 08:31 PM
I read all his books waaaaay back in the '70s; the Hell's Angels books, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail (the McGovern Presidential campaign).

The guy was gonzo, no doubt about that.

R.I.P., HST (And I don't mean Harry S Truman).

You will be missed... :(

dwightfry
02-22-2005, 10:52 PM
I never got wasted... My friends drank all my tequila the bastards.

j2k4
02-23-2005, 01:19 AM
I never got wasted... My friends drank all my tequila the bastards.

Ah-mushrooms, then? :)

dwightfry
02-23-2005, 04:30 PM
I think I'll go with the adrenaline

j2k4
02-24-2005, 12:37 AM
I am a bit astounded, Renfield, that we have had this thread to ourselves.

Surely the good Doctor hadn't faded entirely from the great big radar screen? :huh:

uNz[i]
02-24-2005, 05:39 AM
Sorry I'm late... damn, it's quiet in here. :blink:

Just found this report via Google news.
Thompson's Ashes May Be Shot From Cannon (http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=525991)

It would seem the erstwhile writer has planned to go out with a bang.

dwightfry
02-24-2005, 04:00 PM
I am a bit astounded, Renfield, that we have had this thread to ourselves.

Surely the good Doctor hadn't faded entirely from the great big radar screen? :huh:

It seems he has. Once I started asking around, I realized how very few people know he even existed. I mention the movie and I usually get an "oh, that guy" It's a shame.

dwightfry
02-24-2005, 04:14 PM
']Sorry I'm late... damn, it's quiet in here. :blink:

Just found this report via Google news.
Thompson's Ashes May Be Shot From Cannon (http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=525991)

It would seem the erstwhile writer has planned to go out with a bang.

He did love his guns. What better way to go out than with a REALLY big gun.

"...DMT. If I had any I think I'd share it with ya....It's like acid but it's so suppressed that it's like being shot out of a cannon for 45 minutes" -Hunter Thompson-

DanB
02-24-2005, 06:13 PM
Rest In Peace :(

j2k4
02-24-2005, 08:49 PM
What is overwhelmed and overlooked due to his penchant for overindulgence is the fact that he was occasionally capable of superb observation; his book on the '72 McGovern campaign is a great example-in and amongst the endless recountings of his pharmaceutical/alcoholic exploits is a unique and spot-on parsing of politics, circa early 1970s.

To be totally honest, I guess I would have to count the reading of it as a seminal event in my political development. :)

ahctlucabbuS
02-24-2005, 09:07 PM
I'll add my respect for the guy in this thread as well.

Rest In Peace,

atleast you go out with a bang.

dwightfry
02-25-2005, 03:37 PM
What is overwhelmed and overlooked due to his penchant for overindulgence is the fact that he was occasionally capable of superb observation; his book on the '72 McGovern campaign is a great example-in and amongst the endless recountings of his pharmaceutical/alcoholic exploits is a unique and spot-on parsing of politics, circa early 1970s.

To be totally honest, I guess I would have to count the reading of it as a seminal event in my political development. :)

I've heard some quotes about Nixon and the McGovern election but really don't know much. Me thinks I'll have to do some research.

Cheese
02-25-2005, 03:45 PM
I posted my respects in the other thread (which bizarrely is in Movieworld...) but it is a real shame. I've read both Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail, good books.

It's a vain hope but I'd love to do one of his books for my English degree, we do American literature next year but I doubt he'll be on the syllabuse.:(

ahctlucabbuS
02-25-2005, 08:32 PM
which bizarrely is in Movieworld...

Yea, I thought about it.

Then again, most people have only watched the film so to reach the masses...

Apparently it didn't do that though, as the people who watched the film may just be ignorant of its origin. Oh well :D