PDA

View Full Version : how much would you charge for this upgrade?

foot loose
02-22-2005, 11:08 PM
im going to up grade some1's pc
current spec

750mhz
80ram
hdrive 4gig
win 98

stop laughing

proposed sec

950mhz
20gig 5200 rpm
384 ram
xp
this is some old suff i had laying around
i was thinking of charging 80 pounds, what do u guyz and gurlz think??

Peerzy
02-22-2005, 11:21 PM
80Mb ram :unsure:

Virtualbody1234
02-22-2005, 11:26 PM
current sec

750mhz
80ram
hdrive 4gig
win 98

stop laughing

proposed sec

950mhz
20gig 5200 rpm
384 ram
xp
this is some old suff i had laying around
i was thinking of charging 80 pounds, what do u guyz and gurlz think??
When it comes to things like this... it comes down to what you think you want for your effort and how much the client is willing to pay.

foot loose
02-22-2005, 11:32 PM
80Mb ram :unsure:

there is so much things starting up in the back ground that the pc takes 5-10 mins to boot up.

foot loose
02-22-2005, 11:37 PM
When it comes to things like this... it comes down to what you think you want for your effort and how much the client is willing to pay.

true,
humm i was thinking
20-25 pounds for the hhrive
30 pounds for the ram
30 pounds for the prossesor
20 pounds for the labour

is this reasonable??

they just want surf the net not install two programs do a defrag and have 10 pages open and dl off of kazaa at the same time, like us freaks....lol

Virtualbody1234
02-22-2005, 11:42 PM
is this reasonable??

Is it reasonable to you and your client?

If so then you have a deal.

foot loose
02-22-2005, 11:48 PM
Is it reasonable to you and your client?

If so then you have a deal.

well they know nothing about puters so i guess 80-100 pounds is a good deal

Virtualbody1234
02-22-2005, 11:58 PM
I guess if you were wanting to make it a good deal for them but isn't the idea to make it a good deal for you and them?

Peerzy
02-23-2005, 12:08 AM
true,
humm i was thinking
20-25 pounds for the hhrive
30 pounds for the ram
30 pounds for the prossesor
20 pounds for the labour

is this reasonable??

they just want surf the net not install two programs do a defrag and have 10 pages open and dl off of kazaa at the same time, like us freaks....lol

You would have to be a freak to touch Kazaa.

foot loose
02-23-2005, 12:14 AM
I guess if you were wanting to make it a good deal for them but isn't the idea to make it a good deal for you and them?

well it is a good deal for them coz they end up with a puter that dose what they want it to do. i end up sell my old stuff and upgrade a puter (which i love doing) and get paid

Virtualbody1234
02-23-2005, 01:06 AM
well it is a good deal for them coz they end up with a puter that dose what they want it to do. i end up sell my old stuff and upgrade a puter (which i love doing) and get paid
That's good.

sparsely
02-23-2005, 01:15 AM
what's a "sec" ?

Peerzy
02-23-2005, 01:18 AM
what's a "sec" ?

Second :unsure:

Virtualbody1234
02-23-2005, 01:25 AM
what's a "sec" ?

current sec

750mhz
80ram
hdrive 4gig...

I think it's specs.

lynx
02-23-2005, 01:33 AM
I think he's forgotten the board's consultancy fee. :pirate:

foot loose
02-23-2005, 02:21 AM
what's a "sec" ?

sorry i just edited it
its ment to be SPEC.......

Virtualbody1234
02-23-2005, 02:25 AM
proposed sec
Is still there. :P

Storm
02-23-2005, 02:28 AM
if those are the prices you're charging for the parts: i think you WAY overcharging em....... (id think of 40-60 pounds)

BUT if its 80 bucks for the stuff+labor then it seems very reasonable.........

sparsely
02-23-2005, 02:36 AM
anyway, yeah...if 80 quid is good for both of you, then yeah, it's a nice deal.

clocker
02-23-2005, 01:26 PM
I see XP in the first post, but it doesn't show up in your price list.
Who is buying/providing the OS?

foot loose
02-23-2005, 09:53 PM
I see XP in the first post, but it doesn't show up in your price list.
Who is buying/providing the OS?

some guy who knows nothing about puters
kazaa provides the os>>

Peerzy
02-23-2005, 09:55 PM
some guy who knows nothing about puters
kazaa provides the os>>

1) Your gonna get a fake
2) In a few months your friend won't be able to upgrade Windows as the key you give them will most likley will a dodgy one.

Basically either buy the OS, ask one of us to provide it for you (if your in Uk i don't mind) or find out where you can get proper copies of it yourself.

TheDave
02-23-2005, 10:06 PM
dont use xp on a 950. ive got a pc like that and it couldn't run a bath

zeustke165
02-23-2005, 10:34 PM

xp will run just fine on a 950, but you have to tweak the hell out of it, start with XPlite and get rid of everything that you dont need, shut off all the extra visual stuff that XP added, bassically making it look like win2000 did, and then start shutting off all the services that are unneeded, Ive found a few places that will tell you what the purpose of each running service is then you can make the determination if you need it or not... by then XP will be very fast and stable...

tesco
02-23-2005, 10:52 PM
I have it on a 350mhz computer. :blink:
it's not that much slwoer than 98 or 2000 was once tweaked a little. :P

Virtualbody1234
02-23-2005, 11:19 PM
It runs fine on 950MHz.

Storm
02-24-2005, 12:00 AM
if you get XP offa kazaa you're pretty much fucked........ either fake, or it will corrupt.......

get it off BT or emule, with a VERIFIED link.........

i personally would run win 2k on that machine though, just a lil faster is nearly the same.....

foot loose
02-24-2005, 12:21 PM
xp will run just fine on a 950, but you have to tweak the hell out of it, start with XPlite and get rid of everything that you dont need, shut off all the extra visual stuff that XP added, bassically making it look like win2000 did, and then start shutting off all the services that are unneeded, Ive found a few places that will tell you what the purpose of each running service is then you can make the determination if you need it or not... by then XP will be very fast and stable...

yep i know i used to run xp on a 950Mhz on a puter, the puter starts to slow down when the hdrive space starts running low

foot loose
02-24-2005, 12:23 PM
if you get XP offa kazaa you're pretty much fucked........ either fake, or it will corrupt.......

get it off BT or emule, with a VERIFIED link.........

i personally would run win 2k on that machine though, just a lil faster is nearly the same.....

i got xp off of kazaa around 2years ago when kazaa was more reliable for files

the reason i an't gonna put 2000 on it is because ill have to go on da net to look for da drivers
but thank's for the advice

Storm
02-24-2005, 01:37 PM
yeah, i got XP of kazaa once to......... first time it got corrupted.......

if you're sure it works, go ahead, but kazaa wasnt much more reliable 2 years ago, it still didnt have an error check then..........

2000 doesnt need many more drivers than XP, and you should have gotten it with your hardware ;)........ but its still up to you........

clocker
02-24-2005, 03:43 PM
Personally I would not run XP on a PC that slow, but that's just me and my preference pales in comparison to the disservice you are doing to your customer by providing/installing a flaky OS.

Long after you are done (assuming you get the OS to install successfully to begin with), if your "customer" runs into problems with his machine he will be essentially fucked.
We see these kinds of machines almost daily ("Oh my computer guru neighbor installed the XP...boy, the price was great, too!") and are forced to make them face the reality of just how bad off they are now.
No valid Windows PID means no repair/reload of the borked OS for you, pal.

I guess it's fine if this is the way you want to do it (not), but I hope that at the very least the customer knows he has a pirated copy and is on his own in the future.

foot loose
02-24-2005, 07:41 PM
Personally I would not run XP on a PC that slow, but that's just me and my preference pales in comparison to the disservice you are doing to your customer by providing/installing a flaky OS.

Long after you are done (assuming you get the OS to install successfully to begin with), if your "customer" runs into problems with his machine he will be essentially fucked.
We see these kinds of machines almost daily ("Oh my computer guru neighbor installed the XP...boy, the price was great, too!") and are forced to make them face the reality of just how bad off they are now.
No valid Windows PID means no repair/reload of the borked OS for you, pal.

I guess it's fine if this is the way you want to do it (not), but I hope that at the very least the customer knows he has a pirated copy and is on his own in the future.

there should not be any problems after the install coz im gonna put sp2 on it and change the product key etc and put all the updates on it.
whats the chances of anything going wrong. most people have got a pirate version of xp on there pc anyway

Peerzy
02-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Only a small percentage have, most people get a Xp disc with a new store brought pc. Most shops require you to bring in your own XP disc when doing repairs and most if not all refuse to fix a computer if its using a dodgy copy. Chances are he will have a major problem within a year (I'd give him 30 days though as he's using Kazaa) and small problems every few months.

foot loose
02-24-2005, 07:58 PM
Only a small percentage have, most people get a Xp disc with a new store brought pc. Most shops require you to bring in your own XP disc when doing repairs and most if not all refuse to fix a computer if its using a dodgy copy. Chances are he will have a major problem within a year (I'd give him 30 days though as he's using Kazaa) and small problems every few months.

what are these problems you are talking about. i know someone who's been using a pirated version of xp for at least 3years and he has had no problems......

clocker
02-24-2005, 08:47 PM
what are these problems you are talking about. i know someone who's been using a pirated version of xp for at least 3years and he has had no problems......
What happens when the machine gets infected so badly that a wipe/reload is necessary?
What if you are not available to do the repair?
A real shop ( and I'm including the one I work in) will NOT work with a pirated version of Windows. Microsoft products are cranky enough when they are legit, much less a version downloaded from a questionable source.

PCs ( even brand new ones) run into software problems all the time.
Many are used-based (in truth, most of them are) and you need to face the prospect of marrying the machines that you are building if you can't refer them to legitimate dealers.

Peerzy
02-24-2005, 09:00 PM

Yeah what Clocker says and Bill Gates is beefing up the secruity of Windows and stopping anyone with a pirated version from getting updates, basically there waging a war on pirates of XP and your Kazaa version with teh fucked key is gonna be backlisted, meaning no updates, meaning loads of problems, meaning take t shop, meaning shop says no way because of your pirated windows, meaning your fucked.

clocker
02-24-2005, 10:00 PM
Yeah.
What he said.

Peerzy
02-24-2005, 10:05 PM
Yeah.
What he said.

Yuppers. What he said about me saying about him saying, stupid :dry:

foot loose
02-25-2005, 12:58 AM
What happens when the machine gets infected so badly that a wipe/reload is necessary?
What if you are not available to do the repair?
A real shop ( and I'm including the one I work in) will NOT work with a pirated version of Windows. Microsoft products are cranky enough when they are legit, much less a version downloaded from a questionable source.

PCs ( even brand new ones) run into software problems all the time.
Many are used-based (in truth, most of them are) and you need to face the prospect of marrying the machines that you are building if you can't refer them to legitimate dealers.

yeh i get what you are saying but what is the chance of all that happening?
and how do you know if it is a pirated version of xp??
information is power

Peerzy
02-25-2005, 01:04 AM
information is power

Because shops have to ask for the XP cd from you if they are doing a reinstall because otherwise they could upgrade you to XP for free. Chances of it happening, within a year very likley, within 6 months, moderatly, within 2 months while using kazaa, 100%.

clocker
02-25-2005, 01:20 AM
information is power
Who knows what the chances might be?
What kind of firewall/anti-virus are these people going to run?
I could care less where you get your copy of Windows (hypothetically speaking)....it's the license I want to see. If you have a real MS license we'll install the OS from any disk you want.

Peerzy
02-25-2005, 01:26 AM
Yeah, i had a liscense i got my with my old computer and gave them a copy of XP Corp but they said they would only do it with a Home edition cause thats all the lisence was for.