PDA

View Full Version : Charging for reformatt with pirate cd..

bigdawgfoxx
02-23-2005, 03:00 AM
Ok...I have a Windows XP SP1 Slipstreamed CD. The guy that sent it to me said that it was like the edition where you could use it an infinite amount of times..

So..Im thinking of having a small business of passing out flyers and helping people with there computers and stuff..just for a little extra cash. Would it be very dangerous if I reformatted like 20-30 peoples computers with this same CD? If its not...what do you think a reasonal amount to charge is for a reformatt and having to reinstall all the drivers and such?

zapjb
02-23-2005, 03:18 AM
If one of those people is a crybaby or stupid you're f'd. Oh just checked out your age. Just as long as they cant try you as an adult who cares? Just remember M$ will go after anyone.

erRor67
02-23-2005, 03:22 AM
U probably want to use XP corp so they can get updates ;)
As for getting caught, well, be careful i guess. :lol:

peat moss
02-23-2005, 03:26 AM
Don't use the same key everytime ! Use a generator . $20.00 dollars an hour sounds about right. Take you two hours to install and get their updates . No cheques ......cash only . :D More if they get a cd of Xp pro corp.

bigdawgfoxx
02-23-2005, 03:46 AM
how would one of them being a crybaby or stupid get me in trouble? And like..it doesnt need to be activated or nething...and i can always do updates on all the computers i use it on...so i think it would be ok...What kind of generator...doesnt the cd key have to match my version like coorperate or pro or w/e

Virtualbody1234
02-23-2005, 03:57 AM
...What kind of generator...doesnt the cd key have to match my version like coorperate or pro or w/e

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?p=1003629&posted=1#post1003629

sparsely
02-23-2005, 04:09 AM
to say it simply, if you do that, you're utter shit.

a reasonable amout to charge them is fucking 0.

peat moss
02-23-2005, 04:15 AM
to say it simply, if you do that, you're utter shit.

a reasonable amout to charge them is fucking 0.

Ok say they have a legal copy and need you to reinstall said copy! How much would you charge the neibour, or uncle Bob's friend from work ?

Edit: And lets pretend the dumb caulk suckers forgot to bring thier mobo cd with the drivers? Why much then?

sparsely
02-23-2005, 04:15 AM
then it's up to you.
but if you're charging someone for media what was shared freely to you in the first place, you're a fuck.

peat moss
02-23-2005, 04:22 AM
then it's up to you.
but if you're charging someone for media what was shared freely to you in the first place, you're a fuck.

I should add I'v never charged anyone anything. But I ask for a pack of 10 blank cd's . Because if I do the work thay will need back up's . But our young friend is talking about a business , To me thats a difference right or wrong . ;)

sparsely
02-23-2005, 04:24 AM
yeah, I didn't specifically mean you, just someone who would do that in general.

and the other party providing a blank cd is standard, and good manners on thir part :P

peat moss
02-23-2005, 04:34 AM
yeah, I didn't specifically mean you, just someone who would do that in general.

and the other party providing a blank cd is standard, and good manners on thir part :P

And I'v been know to accept beer in payment too! :shifty: But then its a hobby . When you make it a job its too much like work . Imagine the warranty shit , calls like at 12.00 am ...... do you know were my icons are? I'v looked everywhere ! :D

wipe709
02-23-2005, 04:49 AM
I think he's talking about some cash at the weekend.
Charge for your time - not the software (hey, you're getting it free), $20 sounds good. A lot of people would pay more to fix their PCs, or get them running as fast as they used to, and if they could do it themselves, they would.

worldpease
02-23-2005, 08:05 AM
I agree with the last thing wipe709 said...
The most I've charged here in Mexico is $20 Dlls, and not for instalation, just fixing stuff that is very simple to someone that knows, like when BalsterWorm was at its best, I had like four people's PCs fixed and Patched...lol.
And also setting Internet Conections... hey, even hacking DVDs now that I remember.

Of course it depends on the person who ask for the job,
and how you have helped them previusly (I mean for free).

bigdawgfoxx
02-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Yeah all of the people I know i have done stuff for free...but thanks for yalls help!

fkdup74
02-23-2005, 01:09 PM
you know...
seeing a thread like this....
almost makes me wanna root for M$ and the anti-piracy :dry:
(not quite, but almost) :P
if somone gives you a pack of cd-rs, or in peats case, a 12 pack :P ....
thats courtesy
if you charge a mate 10 or 20 bucks for virus/crash/windows/etc repair...
thats tech support

if you charge ppl to install pirated windows...
thats just bullshit
there IS a line, and thats crossing it IMO ;)

XNeill
02-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Yea, I agree with charging for the service, but not the installation

As for

how would one of them being a crybaby or stupid

How about M$ new propaganda about the online CD-Key check for piracy
Someone does that (the stupid) and it happens to come back false, they might report you to M$ (the crybaby)
Or if they know you are using pirated copy and they are some sort of goodie-to-shoes
Or even if they say to someone whos in the know
"Oh, I didnt have to activate my copy, bla bla bla"

You get the picture

Virtualbody1234
02-23-2005, 03:55 PM
Yea, I agree with charging for the service, but not the installation

Since when has an installation not been a service?

Izagaia
02-23-2005, 06:44 PM
I should add I'v never charged anyone anything. But I ask for a pack of 10 blank cd's . Because if I do the work thay will need back up's . But our young friend is talking about a business , To me thats a difference right or wrong . ;)

I think peat's idea of charging your buddies and relatives measly fees such as blank CD's/DVD's or (even a decent bottle of wine or case of beer in my case) is very acceptable.

However the business motto is just plain wrong. From being wrong morally as well as going against the founding principles of what I believe the whole point of file-sharing is based on. Even so, if I were some dumb joe-sausage-head, the last thing I would want on my system is a pirated copy of any software let alone a major application such as an OS from the mighty Microsoft empire that I bought from someone on the street.

peat moss
02-24-2005, 12:56 AM
If your going to do it , you do it right. I mean setup aswell as format and install . That means a firewall , antivirus , spyware programs and all the updates , . I save their pictures to disk , install file share programs, defragger, adobe , office xp , nero or their choice. Like I would set up my own. If they supply the programs I set them up games etc: . It was costing me money because I thought they should have back up cds if something went wrong later down the road . The cd's were for them. I usually had two or three left over for my use. :lol: Like I said its a hobbie ,its fun. Its really no different than shareing files , but it can be time consuming . I do about one a week . Hardware problems I buy the parts and present a bill . The store I deal with will help diagnose hdwr. truoble's for 20.00 can. I find it therputical, every problem is different. But to be honest its mostly spy or virus problems . :)

@ Izagaia I like your attitude , I 'm thinning your a Girrl right ? Bottle of wine my ass. :D

bigdawgfoxx
02-24-2005, 01:13 AM
What are you people talking about????!?!?!?!!? You say if you charge them for the putting windows on there thats bullshit but if you charge them for the work i do its ok..how could you install windows without doing work? You just expect me to pass out flyers and be like hey let me spend 2 hours of my time doing something for your computer at no charge...And yes peat moss, i always install antivirus with a 34 year subscription crack, spybot, adaware, nero, perfect disk, etc etc..

If I was to use a real windows copy for it...how would I do that? Would it cost them like 100 dollars for the software plus whatever i charge?

peat moss
02-24-2005, 01:39 AM
No one is trying to flame you. But its against the law. Your setting yourself up .
No one wants to see you get in trouble . Make them buy their own copy , or I don't know ,buy a Corp version of Xp pro? Like I said, use a key generator and use different keys . Include the price of a install to off set your costs. I hate to hammer this Home again , but your talking about a business , your going to Piss someone off down the line . The work you'll be doing is your sweat and blood , the OS can be traced ? :unsure: The difference ? My freinds of a friend hopefully won't "Rat" me out .

Edit: What I think you have planned is admirable ! Sure beats stealing or dealing drugs . :no: What do you think is fair? Include the disk and charge for the work . :) I reread your post many times , I won't reply to this topic again , I understand your Quandry. Please check your " PM "
:)

Virtualbody1234
02-24-2005, 02:43 AM
Make the customer sign a paper for you that states that the customer provides the software themself (even if they don't really) and you are just offering the service of installing it. If they don't sign then don't do it. Simple.

peat moss
02-24-2005, 02:55 AM
Make the customer sign a paper for you that states that the customer provides the software themself (even if they don't really) and you are just offering the service of installing it. If they don't sign then don't do it. Simple.

Good one VB ! Are you a lawyer? Hey wait a minuet I just posted again ! So....... sue me ! :D Mabye some of us were a little harsh on him ? Oh well even bad advice is better than no advice. Problem solved tho! Got to love this filesharing . :01:

bigdawgfoxx
02-24-2005, 03:32 AM
hmm vbs idea sounds good lol...what is a corp edition? like unlimited use?

HCT
02-24-2005, 03:54 AM
hmm vbs idea sounds good lol...what is a corp edition? like unlimited use?
it just a version that you dont have to registrate to get updates

bigdawgfoxx
02-24-2005, 03:58 AM
well i never have to register nething and i get updates so i guess i have that..