PDA

View Full Version : Do I still need a stereo?

hobbes
02-23-2005, 06:37 PM
Ok, this is more of perhaps a hardware or software world thing, but I want someone to actually read this.

My CD player is on the blink and I was thinking that I should get a new one.

Then I thought why? My computer plays CD's.

My computer has radio, so why do even need a receiver.

Hell, I have this old clunky stereo with some seriously huge Bose speakers, maybe I can just throw them away.

My point:

1) Why do I even need a stereo system? Only reason I can think of is that it can get really loud.

2) I have 5 speaker surround on my computer with a subwoofer, and when I really need to get to 11 (spinal tap), it only goes to like 6.

I already have computer settings set to max volume, so how do I boost it further so I can get bone rattling noise?

Someone go wake up Clocker, maybe he can stop being fascinated with fans and focus on something really important----volume.

vidcc
02-23-2005, 06:41 PM
never thought about this much as i seldom use my pc speakers however would a different sound card give you louder output?

worldpease
02-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Hobbes, you don't need a stereo,
in fact you don't even need a TV, DVD or VCR,
just get Microsoft Media Center Edition 2005, and you get all in one!

4play
02-23-2005, 08:34 PM
depends how much of an audiophile you are really. I much prefer to listen to cds on a standalone player rather then my dvd-rom because it sounds better.

if you can't tell the difference then you really can live without a seperate stereo.

Jon L. Obscene
02-23-2005, 08:39 PM
Should'nt this be in sportsworld? :dry:

Jonno :cool:

Virtualbody1234
02-23-2005, 08:47 PM
You can connect the output from the soundcard to the input of the stereo.

BigDaddy555
02-23-2005, 08:58 PM
You can connect the output from the soundcard to the input of the stereo.

ditto...thats how I have mine.

Snee
02-23-2005, 09:14 PM
Get a big amplifier, a really good soundcard, and a bunch of really good speakers. Or connect the ones you already have. Hook it all up.

The sound should be just as good as an older stereo.

ruthie
02-23-2005, 10:07 PM
Well, with a stereo, you can wire speakers into other rooms. That's a plus.

vidcc
02-24-2005, 12:04 AM
Well, with a stereo, you can wire speakers into other rooms. That's a plus.
i tought he wanted to play it so loud tht he didn't have to do that :unsure: :wacko:

Biggles
02-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Perhaps it is because as SGG says I am an aging hippy :ermm: but I prefer to listen to my music on my hi-fi. The sound quality is far more pleasant than the pc.

ruthie
02-24-2005, 12:34 AM
Perhaps it is because as SGG says I am an aging hippy :ermm: but I prefer to listen to my music on my hi-fi. The sound quality is far more pleasant than the pc.
Agreed,hippie. Better sound quality with a killer stereo system, plus, if you're living with other people, some rooms can have sound, others..not.

j2k4
02-24-2005, 01:00 AM
I'd take VB's advice to heart.

No PC system is gonna outplay my Cerwin-Vegas.

I must also say that while I'm okay with MP3s, OE music is still this audiophile's preference.

Besides which, sometimes the people down the block haven't heard the latest tunes, and need a great thundering reminder of the fact. :D

Get a new unit, Hobbes.

Biggles
02-24-2005, 01:03 AM
I'd take VB's advice to heart.

No PC system is gonna outplay my Cerwin-Vegas.

I must also say that while I'm okay with MP3s, OE music is still this audiophile's preference.

Besides which, sometimes the people down the block haven't heard the latest tunes, and need a great thundering reminder of the fact. :D

Get a new unit, Hobbes.

Sound advice.

I'll get me coat.

Emdee
02-24-2005, 01:06 AM
I'd stick with the PC unless you've got money to burn. You can get some great plugins for winamp that dramatically improve the sound quality of songs playing on your computer.

hobbes
02-24-2005, 01:48 AM
Ok, so I used a mini-plug or binn plug to RCA converter and hooked it up to my stereo.

The sound quality sucks and the volume is not really that improved.

I'm not sure why my CD player can shake the walls but this hook-up doesn't do much. :angry: :frusty:

Now that I am back to my original setup, what can I do to my pc to make it louder. The actually quality is fine, it is the volume which is the problem.

Yogi
02-24-2005, 01:33 PM
Ihave my PC hooked up with an Aardvark http://floridamusicco.com/images/product%20pics/smallwide/tn_usb3.jpg connected to a set of Syrincs M3220 http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/catalog/images/SYRINCS_M3220.jpg .

Really awesome.

I listen to radio from sattelite, through the same USB-device.

Haven't used a regular stereo in three years now.

Still have about three Class-A hifi-systems in storage, apart from my

studiogear; maybe i can make museum when i'm old.........

Yogi

vidcc
02-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Ok, so I used a mini-plug or binn plug to RCA converter and hooked it up to my stereo.

The sound quality sucks and the volume is not really that improved.

I'm not sure why my CD player can shake the walls but this hook-up doesn't do much. :angry: :frusty:

Now that I am back to my original setup, what can I do to my pc to make it louder. The actually quality is fine, it is the volume which is the problem.
you need a better sound card if you wish your PC to compete with your stereo

this may help with the output quality (http://www.epanorama.net/documents/pc/soundcard_tips.html#general)